Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
BillyClub
BillyClub began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo VOX
An easy one!!!...maybe

I've never owned a reader B4 so there is much to learn...Still getting used to it and have had little or no problems at all after the firmware upgrade.
Have had no trouble with installing applications that are of the APK type but I'm kinda stumped as for the ZIP and RAR's to say nothing of the one EXE I have.
Please explain how to go about with the ZIP and RAR's (I'm fairly knowledgeable with WinRAR/WinZIP on the computer) I can unRAR/Zip the files but then where to put the half dozen or so folders that you end up with. (I see no APK files inside)
I guess I could just unRAR them to the VOX folder (anywhere or to a special one?) Astro File Manager and ES File Explorer are already installed, I can access the files but see no extract to icon...
And then what to do with that one EXE file???
Thanks for reading...BC
BillyClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Android doesn't use EXE files. No mobile OS save Windows Mobile/CE did, at least up to WM7. You'll have to extract the files from a regular computer... and if it doesn't have an APK, you won't be able to install it on Android.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
BillyClub

Thanks "Haesslich"
Ok I tried to run the PDFConverterSetup.EXE to a folder on the Computers Hard Drive which I was able to do...It's a program to convert PDF files to other formats...takes care of that one question...
Still to be answered "what about the ZIP and RAR files...how are they to be installed" are they each to be unRAR'ed from the computer to the VOX's SD card (if so does that mean they are installed?) Wondering cause each of the programs has a "res" folder...do they just overwrite in the SD drive or are does each program make a Folder for it's own program???
Thanks again
Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they don't contain an APK file, you can't install it - you won't have access to the Android system folder to drag and drop apps in, nor to create the linkages required to run them if they're zipped up without an APK. I'm not sure if you could install them even if the Kobo was rooted so you had full file system access.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Yeah, a .zip or .rar file is just a container. There could be anything inside. I'd just extract them on your computer and see what's inside.

All apps on android use the .apk file format.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
BillyClub

Sorry Guys!! Got involved.
Figured it out ...about as simple as could be...
Got to do more searching on this site.....Would like to find a forum that you could ask questions about certain app's as to how to use them properly!
Example given - would be the Kindle app, It's installed properly but when clicking an a mobi book, "I Think" FB Reader opens up instead and I would like to associate mobi with Kindle, Hows this done.
O'Well may be time to start another thread.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Haesslich
Fanatic

Don't start another thread - just search. Also, go into Settings -> Applications. find FBRead, then 'clear defaults' and the next time you click the file, it should load in Amazon. Also be sure that Amazon's app has imported the book into its internal library.