Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
Why I bought the Kobo

I watched e-readers since the Kindle came out. I was looking for something specific in an e-reader - I wanted to read books.

I didn't want to surf the web.
I didn't want to read a newspaper or magazine.
I didn't want to listen to music or audio books.
I didn't want to look at pictures.
I didn't want to watch videos.
I didn't want to charge the battery every few hours.

I wanted to read books.

I am not able to get around on my own so I have a lot of downtime between places I have to be, so reading is my pastime.

Until the Kobo came out I was using a laptop. I couldn't see spending the money for connectivity, color screen, audio, etc I already had. With Kobo I can load the epub and PDF files from my computer without a lot of hassle and start reading.
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
goinveg
Enthusiast

One week with the Kobo

Well, it's been a week that I have had the Kobo and it has met my expectations; I can read books without a problem.

Yes, I have to fix some with the KoboBulkFixer.
Yes, I need to use Adobe Digital Editions for a couple of titles.

The Borders/Kobo Desktop is basically a storefront so, not yet a buyer of eBooks because I won't pay physical book prices for digital books, and because there are many books available in the public/personal use domain, this app will not get a lot of use.

Calibre is my app of choice for library management/Kobo injection.

So, no wi-fi, no cell phone, no touchscreen. No annotation/highlighting. No dictionary, notepad, calendar. One physical button to change pages. I can read a book without distraction.

I'm happy.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Make sure you get the 1.4 firmware update. The Kobo is a terrific unit for regular reading. It does everything in ePub I need, including library books. It's a treat!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Well done, enjoy your eBooks !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Yes, with the new lower price, the Kobo is indeed a fine choice for pure basic reading. I also like how you made it very clear what you wanted to do with the eReader.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
It suits me very well, and my wife, also. That is, the Kobo suits my wife...of course my wife suits me, too, or we wouldn't still be married.

Anyway, I stopped by B&N to take a second look at the nook, and I quickly reaffirmed my preference for the Kobo. The nook is half-again heavier and not as elegant as the Kobo. I can see why people would want the extra features, but not me. I love that there is so little to get in the way of my reading experience with the Kobo, and it's so easy to read one-handed...no jokes about one-handed reading matter, please!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Not as elegant as the Kobo? Seriously?

Last edited by Noah98; 07-04-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Im cosidering buying a Kobo myself. Anything else you can say about yours and your experience using it ?
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
goinveg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Im cosidering buying a Kobo myself. Anything else you can say about yours and your experience using it ?
I've pretty much said it. I am very satisfied with it for the reasons I laid out. As with anything you have to see if those reasons match what you are looking for in a reader.

If you have specific questions on anything I did not cover, ask away. I'll be glad to answer. Just remember, I may not give you the answer you want.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
"Simple, light, just reading" makes kobo unique.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
I didn't want to surf the web.
I didn't want to read a newspaper or magazine.
I didn't want to listen to music or audio books.
I didn't want to look at pictures.
I didn't want to watch videos.
I didn't want to charge the battery every few hours.

I wanted to read books.
I like the way you put it.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Glad you got what you want!
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
goinveg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Make sure you get the 1.4 firmware update. The Kobo is a terrific unit for regular reading. It does everything in ePub I need, including library books. It's a treat!
Thanks for the heads up on the upgrade, but... I don't think so. After reading the threads about it, It is not for me. My thoughts on why.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
no jokes about one-handed reading matter, please!
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
One thing to consider for the Purchase of a Kobo is the page turn is very slow in comparison to the Kindle. You get a black screen and pixalisation each time you turn the page for nearly a second. Most people don't seem to mind though, but it annoys me to the stage where I just cant use it at all. Also takes a fair amount of time to restart if you have put it down for a while to come back on to the page you were at. But the device is still OK, I have two of them and have given them to my younger children and they love it.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo