Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I buy a lot of books from Baen and also download the free books they occasionally put up.
I have also got a couple of the bundles free, I know baen are aware and if it becomes a problem I am sure they will block the bundle chains.
My main regret was is that I missed the Jan bundle as it is no longer available, still the books are not that expensive, I guess baen gets a bit more cash from me.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
^You can get the January bundle if you want to.

From the Baen Ebooks front page:
Quote:
Because the policy was implemented very quickly, if you were unable to purchase the bundles for December, January or February, please write to us at pr@baen.com.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
I just wish these Baen threads could have their own forum sub-category so those of us not interested don't have to hurdle them when we look at the forums. Yes, there aren't a lot of them, but they are always near the top of the forum, as this thread will now be... Just my unsolicited opinion.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerVA View Post
I just wish these Baen threads could have their own forum sub-category so those of us not interested don't have to hurdle them when we look at the forums. Yes, there aren't a lot of them, but they are always near the top of the forum, as this thread will now be... Just my unsolicited opinion.
Once this ones dies down, you should see only about 3 at a time (since that's as many bundles as will be active).

Perhaps a moderator can close the bundles that have posted "files are ready for download" messages (or just the very old threads), to keep them from being resurrected back to page 1?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
If the Baen threads are near the top it means they are popular, the fact that some dont like them does not mean they should be removed. The forum is for all to use.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
^You can get the January bundle if you want to.

From the Baen Ebooks front page:
Thank you for this! Email sent....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thank you for this! Email sent....
I now have an email back with coupons. I urge anyone who wanted to get those bundles (December 2012, January 2013 or February 2013) but didn't, to send an email saying so to pr@baen.com
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
Rather more contentiously I sit happily in the group that, if there were no free ebooks available, I would go to the dark web and still get them free. I assume you would regard that as so wrong that it might make the bundles thing less wrong - perhaps.
I think not paying people for their artistic work is sleazy, especially when you seem willing to pay quite a bit for a device to view that stolen material on. I hope I never lose my wallet around you.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I agree. I like the freebies when I can get 'em, but for books I love enough to want to keep forever, they wind up being books I will happily buy when resources allow.

(although, admittedly, I go for the printed copy, because I can share those)

Last edited by spindlegirl; 01-30-2013 at 02:46 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A question for those who participate in the "Baen Monthly Bundles" threads. I see many people who seem to use these threads to get free bundles, month after month, but I was under the impression that Baen intended these "buy one, give it away to someone" deals to be used only by new customers who had never before bought from Baen. Isn't this use of "throwaway" accounts at Baen going against the spirit, even if not the letter, of the use that Baen intend these deals to be used for? Baen are one of the "good guys" of the ebook industry - it seems wrong to me to be taking advantage of them in this way.
Harry -- I couldn't agree more. I've created a thread, and even gotten books through the threads, but I decided early on that my participation in the threads would only happen if there were
(a.) No books in the bundle I would buy anyway
(b.) at least one book that was of vague interest from an author I was not familiar with.

This is within the spirit of the bundle gifts, since it does actually introduce me to a new author. But by now, I look at each month's bundle when it comes out, and either buy it or not. And I don't make the freebie for the ones that I buy available here, since I saw too many people abusing the intent of the coupons.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I've mostly taken part in them. It gives me a chance to check out things I wouldn't have read otherwise. If there is something in there I would have purchased anyway, I either buy something else by that author (if they have anything else available), buy the bundle myself, or at least buy something from Baen. If it isn't something I would have purchased anyway, then I feel Baen is getting what they wanted (which is for me, a person who purchases lots of books, to read new stuff and hopefully purchase more from a particular author or series they publish in the future). Most of what I read I probably got a book free (either via a giveaway or at the library) or cheap sometime in the past, liked what I read, and wanted to read more.

I have always expected them to put some kind of limit on it (such as only the actual purchaser getting to forward it) but, up until now, they haven't chosen to do that.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote