Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
immaginativa
immaginativa began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy w Nook and Kindle apps
Problem with Sigil file in Nook

Hi, I'm quite new here. I love Sigil so far, but I have a problem.

I have written an ebook (put together originally in Serif PagePlus), which I exported as an epub. I did the final editing and TOC -- which PP does badly -- in Sigil ). Everything was reasonably easy. I used the epub to make a great Kindle book (kindlegen). I'm also selling the EPUB on my own site. It works well in all sorts of EPUB readers. It is squeaky clean -- passes EPUBCHECK validation like a breeze.

But it does NOT work in the Nook. A tryout on my Nook app on the Android reveals tiny text, NO response to attempt to change font, no text flow, no larger font. It's all but unusable, unless you have super-vision. The only page that does respond to font change is the TOC itself. That's it.

I thought this was due to it not being actually converted to the Nook format. But when I uploaded it to the Nook store, and it went live, I downloaded a sample -- I get the exact same thing with the tiny text. However, if I look at the same sample in the previewer on the BandN site, it works perfectly!

This is really just the short version of the endless rounds of frustration I've gone through on the conversion to Nook. The people at Nook Press/Barnes and Noble have been zero help since the beginning. They evidently don't comment on formatting, except to show you their EPUB formatting and CSS guidelines. I have done everything according to the guidelines.

What have I done wrong? Has anyone else had this problem and know what is causing it? Thanks.
immaginativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
So, presumably the font-size changes work OK in ADE, or Aldiko, etc as well as the kindle version in the kindle reader?

I don't have a nook, but does it have some super-secret setting that allows or forbids use of the publisher's CSS? (As does Aldiko.) If so, you might try toggling that setting and see if it makes a difference.

Also (anyone?) how well does the Nook reader on Windows or Android or whatever emulate what the Nook hardware does?

You might also ask over in the Nook forum here on MobileRead, since this seems not to be a Sigil nor an epub problem per se.

Sorry to be so verbose with so little information, but at least it'll bump your query.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Give us examples of code + CSS.

Somewhere in the CSS you are most likely forcing font-sizes.

Much of the newer hardware/software allows you to override publisher defaults for margins/font-size/line-spacing, but on older hardware, you are forced into the publisher's CSS choices for this.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
immaginativa

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
So, presumably the font-size changes work OK in ADE, or Aldiko, etc as well as the kindle version in the kindle reader?

I don't have a nook, but does it have some super-secret setting that allows or forbids use of the publisher's CSS? (As does Aldiko.) If so, you might try toggling that setting and see if it makes a difference.

Also (anyone?) how well does the Nook reader on Windows or Android or whatever emulate what the Nook hardware does?

Albert

Yes, I did try it on the ADE, and the results were somewhat similar, but it did respond to a certain extent to attempts to increase font size - by dividing into two columns - while the font size didn't change noticeably. I know that the underlying engines in this and the Nook are the same.

Also, there is a setting to use the publisher's Page and Text settings or not, but this does nothing.

What is really puzzling is that in the Nook previewer, it is OK. I would like to try an actual Nook -- if only I had one -- but will look on the Nook forum. Anyway, thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
immaginativa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Give us examples of code + CSS.

Somewhere in the CSS you are most likely forcing font-sizes.

Much of the newer hardware/software allows you to override publisher defaults for margins/font-size/line-spacing, but on older hardware, you are forced into the publisher's CSS choices for this.
I don't think this is the case, since there is a setting for this on my device, which does nothing. I don't know enough about CSS to try and force anything -- but here is in general, what it looks like.

.Normal-P1
{
margin:0.0px 0.0px 13.3px 0.0px; text-align:justify; font-weight:400; text-indent:48.0px; font-family:"Times New Roman", serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:1.15em;
}
.Normal-P2
{
margin:0.0px 0.0px 13.3px 13.3px; text-align:justify; font-weight:400; text-indent:48.0px; font-family:"Times New Roman", serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:1.15em;
}
.Body-P1
{
margin:0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align:center; font-weight:400; text-indent:0.0px; font-family:"Times New Roman", serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:1.15em;
}

All of my fonts are in pixels, also the margins, when there are any. This is recommended, as I understand it.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
The px for font-size is what's causing the problem. Whatever the Nook font-size level is, you're telling it to stay at 16px, try changing the 'font-size: 16px' to 'font-size: 1.2em', then see what display is like, if font-size is too big or small on medium setting adjust accordingly.

Edit:
What you should do is have a body or p tag describe your usual style, and then use other style when it differs, only having the properties that are different from the default.

Last edited by Perkin; 10-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
immaginativa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
The px for font-size is what's causing the problem. Whatever the Nook font-size level is, you're telling it to stay at 16px, try changing the 'font-size: 16px' to 'font-size: 1.2em', then see what display is like, if font-size is too big or small on medium setting adjust accordingly.

Edit:
What you should do is have a body or p tag describe your usual style, and then use other style when it differs, only having the properties that are different from the default.

Thanks. Sounds sensible. I thought for sure I read differently somewhere about using "em" and "px."

One thing I like about Sigil is that it is helping me learn more about CSS by letting me see the results immediately in action. I will try this and see what happens.

Tags
font sizes, format questions, nook app, sigil