Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
According to one post, they called Amazon, and this was their reply.,.,l

QuietWinds says:
I called Amazon.
The $180 is a "service fee" and not the price of a Kindle. What you get back is the refurbished Kindle.

I, for one, am glad to hear it since I now have hundreds of treasured books. However, even if that were not the case $180 is perfectly reasonable alternative then taking a $399 loss and losing a product that has afforded me such convenience and reading pleasure. That part is priceless.

So they do have a repair option, just not advertising it......yet.
Nice finding... however, I wonder if they cannot download the ebook purchased before for free.. just something like iPhone's app store.
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyCheung22 View Post
Nice finding... however, I wonder if they cannot download the ebook purchased before for free.. just something like iPhone's app store.
They can. Once they register the replacement Kindle to their account, they can sign on to Amazon and re-download all the books purchased.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
But wait!

Here is another post from the same discussion thread. Seems to say the opposite from the first....note he specifies the 'very same issue', so I"m thinking its about customer carelesness. Personally, I don't think Amazon owes me anything if I drop or allow it to get in harms way...defects are another matter.

Last edited by the author 9 hours ago
L. Hum says:
Unlike everyone else I think that Amazon should be a little more generous. While I don't necessarily believe that Amazon should replace a Kindle that is not a manufacture's defect I do believe that all of us have purchased an expensive electronic device that most reasonable people expect over time can and will break down. When that happens I think there is some responsibilty of the manufacture to provide a repair service that can expect to charge a fair price for their service. If the product is such that it can never be repaired (cost of repairs almost always approximates or exceeds the cost of a new product) then I think the manufacture still has some responsibilty. Why not offer a nominal fee-less than $100?

Having said that, if I were you I would still take up Amazon on their offer. Previously, I have talked to the customer service about this very issue. As I understand it, the Kindle they would send back to you is not a refurbished Kindle but a brand new Kindle. You definitely can sell that Kindle on Ebay for $300 or more and you will only be out approximately $60. Also next time, buy you might want to buy an extended warranty with "Accidental Handling Insurance" offered by SquareTrade.com. (only sold within 30 days of the purchase of a brand new Kindle). Unfortunately Amazon does not have an option of purchasing an extended warranty through their company.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I purchased the extended 3 year warranty through Square Trade with the added Accidental coverage (ADH).

1) The Kindle has only been out for a year so long term reliability is still unknown
2) There have been reports of Kindles failing and while Amazon has replaced them without hassle, their warranty is only 1 year.
3) Because my Kindle goes everywhere, dropping it or spilling something near it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

At $359 purchase price, its less than $60 (including ADH) if you use one of their 20% coupon codes. I paid less ($39) because mine is only covered for my $259 purchase price. In order to purchase the ADH option, you must purchase coverage within 30 days of your Kindle purchase.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
choklateice
choklateice began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
From the Amazon Forums:
Well hey I see it as being better than paying the full price.
choklateice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #21
maan9
maan9 doesn't littermaan9 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Amazon or Third party

Repair options outside of amazon are popping up now, and not every problem is as expensive to repair as water damage etc, I had a broken button and ended up getting it repaired for well under a hundred http://www.portatronics.com. For bigger issues it makes more sense to get the whole device replaced.
maan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maan9 View Post
Repair options outside of amazon are popping up now, and not every problem is as expensive to repair as water damage etc, I had a broken button and ended up getting it repaired for well under a hundred http://www.portatronics.com. For bigger issues it makes more sense to get the whole device replaced.
I'm very glad to see this happening. I took a quick peek and noticed the also sell parts and tools for repair. Let's hope this trend grows.

Karma to you, thanks for the link!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
a7878
a7878 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook Repair & Kindle Repair

I hope the screen on the nook is sturdier than on the kindle, I broke mine after 3 weeks and had to send it to a third party kindle repair shop to get it fixed http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...k-Readers.html. Not sure if they offer nook repair. I think they should make those ebook readers more sturdy, since they’re intended lugged around and prone to be in bags with other stuff or exposed to water.
a7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7878 View Post
I hope the screen on the nook is sturdier than on the kindle,
considering it will have the exact same screen as in the kindle, I pretty much doubt it will be.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7878 View Post
I hope the screen on the nook is sturdier than on the kindle, I broke mine after 3 weeks and had to send it to a third party kindle repair shop to get it fixed http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...k-Readers.html. Not sure if they offer nook repair. I think they should make those ebook readers more sturdy, since they’re intended lugged around and prone to be in bags with other stuff or exposed to water.
That's a lot of portatronics links (which we already had in this thread).

Are you using a cover on your Kindle? All ebook readers (until Plastic Logic comes along) are made with glass substrates and should to treated with care. Please don't expose one to water.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I did some pretty gnarly skiing the first 3 months of my Kindle ownership and it stood up just fine! of course it was in the m-edge cover, and then in my camelbak between the bladder and my back
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #27
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Given Portatronics charge $159 for the screen for the Kindle 2 + installation fees, I don't think $180 for a replacement Kindle is that poor of a deal
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #28
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
considering it will have the exact same screen as in the kindle, I pretty much doubt it will be.

BOb
In theory, it can be sturdier depending on the material around it and how the device bounces when dropped.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #29
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
As for the original thread on Amazon, a paperweight is worth zero, he could have had a moderately priced replacement. Silly not to jump at it unless he was expecting a Kindle 3 early next year or was interested in another device.

I didn't know about those extended warranties, good tip, especially for first release devices with longevity unknown. Slightly offtopic, but the worst devices I have ever seen for long term use are xboxes and Playstation 3s. I think somewhere aroud 50% break within 1-3 years. Shoddy shoddy materials, extended warranty on one of those would be handy.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #30
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Is this still the standard price to replace a Kindle? $180 seems a little steep now, considering you can just buy a refurbished one for $219 and sell the broken one on eBay for parts.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, broken, damaged, kindle, replacement