Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
mom23kids
mom23kids began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I share Sony ebooks with a Kobo?

I have a Sony touchscreen ereader and my mom and sister have Kobo's. Can we share books and what is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
If you bought your ebooks at Sony or Kobo(or any number of other online sites) there will usually be some sort of copy-protection, which would ordinarily prevent you from sharing. This "protection" is usually referred to as "DRM".

Some people think DRM is OK, but lots and lots of people think it's more of a rip-off.

Regardless, it is possible and even quite easy to commute your bought and payed for ebooks to other ereaders, which is only fair since an ereader only lasts a couple of years and your next model might not be from the same company. In essence this is the same as "sharing" or letting somone "borrow" your ebooks, which, again, is only fair since poeple do it with real books all the time.

Many people(myself included) consider the freeware program "Calibre" the best way to take care of the problem. You'll have to learn how to use the program and add "plugins" to it make it work.

But there is a really easy way, ePUBee(also freeware)! It's a three step "drag&drop" method and all my technophobic acquaintances are using it.

Here's what a blogger I respect has to say about the whole thing:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...y-against-drm/
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
mom23kids
mom23kids began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your reply I talked to Sony and they said I can move my books to a third party so that I can put them on a Kobo. They suggested the Adobe reader edition. I am technologically challenged and just trying to find the easiest way to do this.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Those people at Sony know nothing. Not understanding what they suggest makes you normal, not tech-challengend.

The "Adobe reader edition" their talking about is probably ADE(Adobe Digital Editions) and it doesn't work with the latest model, PRS-T1.

While ADE does work with earlier Sony Touchscreen models, you still need to take complicated steps to do what YOU want(sharing), like registering all the devices in your family to one account.

I recommend you save yourself the hassel and just go with my earlier recommendation.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
As above, Calibre + Apprentice Alf are the way to go.
It will take a bit of work - a couple of hours, if you are not tech savvy, to set it all up. But you can find detailed instructions if you google it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
And what's more.... you'll never regret you followed the advice.

[ as will mum & sis )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Further to the other answers - if they bought books from the Kobo store using the Kobo app, those books will have Kobo-specific DRM and nothing else can read that. Result: you can't move those books to non-Kobo readers.

You can buy books from the Kobo store's web site and get them with DRM that your Sony reader can read. You might want to investigate if you can re-download all those bought books in what Kobo calls "Adobe DRM EPUB" format - that is compatible with the Sony T1.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Some Kobo Store's books are not available in Adobe DRM EPUB Format as they are restricted by publishers.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Further to the other answers - if they bought books from the Kobo store using the Kobo app, those books will have Kobo-specific DRM and nothing else can read that. Result: you can't move those books to non-Kobo readers.

You can buy books from the Kobo store's web site and get them with DRM that your Sony reader can read. You might want to investigate if you can re-download all those bought books in what Kobo calls "Adobe DRM EPUB" format - that is compatible with the Sony T1.
You can download any of their books (as long as they are not pdfs) in "epub" format from the Kobo website to a PC rather than directly to the reader which gets the kPub format. I read my Kobo books on my Sony with no problems.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
From my reading Kobo Mobile Read Forum some books from Kobo store are not available in Adobe DRM EPUB Format because of publisher restrictions. Just as some publisher's books can't be discounted. Kobo makes every book they can available in Adobe DRM EPUB Format.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote