Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
armlabs
armlabs began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
Unhappy my t1 is bricked

now it is keeping flashing power led, the progress bar does not move.
sometime it will reboot itself and loop back this keeping flashing power led with no progress bar forward.

I have tried many method of recovery.
1. pressing next and back button during first time show "opening book..." but no progress bar moving.
2. use sd rescue in microsd and press home and menu during first time show "opening book...". There is progress bar moving but keep stuck in completed progress bar page. After reset the device back to the original problem.

I have tried "rupor-rescue.7z" and it is ok to use putty to control my device but still cannot recover it.

what should i do? any suggestions?

actually i just brought it to about 3500m mountain and after return to ground, i found the device turn on by itself and out of power finally. after charge up and reboot the problem shown in youtube is there.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-24-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: fixed Youtube link
armlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
A, Call Sony support!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
aricade
aricade began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
It Looks like we are in the same boat. I guess mine is more of a botched update.

I am able to get boot by doing RESET+Power then plugging it into wall charger, bark like a dog, then jiggle the cable then another RESET+power Finally pressing Power for 5 seconds.

It boot's up into ereader app/mode but that is it. If I plug mine into USB port of a computer it freezes and no longer responds thus I must follow a sequence like the one above. So the only way to put books on it is via micro sd card reader.
aricade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I don't trust mine either since my first one died unrecoverably when I was actually reading with it, I can't see myself buying Sony again as I never expected something as relatively simple as an ereader to be so buggy.

Your best hope is probably what I did and take it back to the store if it isn't very old, but yours looks like it's more recoverable than mine was, my reset button didn't even seem to function.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
armlabs

Hi aricade,

should i press reset+power at the same time? or just like doing normal reset to press and release reset and then power?
how many times for plugging and removing the usb charging?
And any usb charger is good for doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricade View Post
It Looks like we are in the same boat. I guess mine is more of a botched update.

I am able to get boot by doing RESET+Power then plugging it into wall charger, bark like a dog, then jiggle the cable then another RESET+power Finally pressing Power for 5 seconds.

It boot's up into ereader app/mode but that is it. If I plug mine into USB port of a computer it freezes and no longer responds thus I must follow a sequence like the one above. So the only way to put books on it is via micro sd card reader.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hard reset
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/v...C1006380&mdl=#
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
armlabs

hard reset is failed for my device.
always keep in "opening book..." with no progress bar going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I don't trust mine either since my first one died unrecoverably when I was actually reading with it, I can't see myself buying Sony again as I never expected something as relatively simple as an ereader to be so buggy.
I don't trust mine to take out of the house without a backup reader. Though it has been working fine lately, there have been times when it has gone nuts and taken quite a bit of time to get it operational again.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armlabs View Post
hard reset is failed for my device.
always keep in "opening book..." with no progress bar going.
Do you know your firmware version? If you can, reflash it. If it is already the latest version, there is a way "hack" to another version, and reflash back to Sony's version.
Have you flashed your firmware before?

Last edited by david8866; 04-25-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had a similiar situation and I have managed to get it going by holding the reset and just keep pushing the buttons randomly in full panick mode. It often reboots several times before deciding to work
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
I can't see myself buying Sony again
T, Strange comment given the fact that Sony is WIDELY considered to have the best build quality.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
T, Strange comment given the fact that Sony is WIDELY considered to have the best build quality.
They may have used to but I think everyone else has long surpassed them now I was very surprised when I bought my dad a Kobo Mini and it was considerably faster than my T1 had a clearer screen way more font choices all the while costing about the same price as the T1 cover on it's own. That Kobo mini has never once crashed either.

When I read something on my T1 I have to find the book in Calibre first so I can search for it I've never been able to even browse through all my books on either of my T1's without a force close happening presumably I'd have more luck with less books I have about 2,000 loaded but I still find it pretty unacceptable a device with one basic function struggles with it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was very surprised when I bought my dad a Kobo Mini and it was considerably faster than my T1 had a clearer screen way more font choices all the while costing about the same price as the T1 cover on it's own. That Kobo mini has never once crashed either.
Glad to hear it. I am expecting delivery of a Kobo Mini on Monday, so I will be sure to compare the two.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
david8866
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Glad to hear it. I am expecting delivery of a Kobo Mini on Monday, so I will be sure to compare the two.
KOBO's firmware is sometimes strange. Some previous old bugs came back after a few new firmware release. Customers service has been 50/50, hit'n'missed . The 2011 year end firmware update (forced update) bricked one of my two KOBO touch. KOBO first denied the problem. The Target store (I bought from) was very nice, they took both ereader back even they were after 90 days of purchase.
Sony is not an angel any more. PRS 350/650/950 were truly classic. T1 was just slightly better than others. I think Android system was too new for Sony, and frankly, Sony is not old Sony any more.
I hate to say this, Get a Kindle; Amazon's customer service really is good and worry free.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I hate to say this, Get a Kindle; Amazon's customer service really is good and worry free.
I have Kindles. I like them. I won't get any new Sony unless I know for a fact the stock fonts work properly, and one can add custom fonts. I have added custom fonts to my Kindles, and that's what I am looking forward to on the Kobo. If I like the Kobo better than the T1, the T1 will be out of here.