Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #631
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Hi. I frequently come up to OCR errors in the books I read.

To correct these errors, my method is, saving that flawed words and/or lines to "My Clippings" and after that, opening both "Clippings.txt" and the .epub file on PC to make corrections.

This whole process takes very long time and obviously boring. Here's the idea:

"On the Calibre's Edit Book window, a plugin that

- pulls the txt file from a specified location,
- finds the highlighted parts in the book,
- asks the user for confirmation and replacing,
- additional ideas..."

would be very effective. Anyone shares this situation? Is that possible to code a plugin like this?
I try to fix all the typographical errors before I start reading a book

Many OCR errors can be fixed with a few well crafted Search and Replace regular expressions (which can be saved for reuse), have a look in the Editor sub forum and also the Sigil forum, particularly at the Reg Ex Sticky threads.

Spell checking can also help, with split words in particu lar [sic]. A search in the full word list (in the spell checker) for '-' can help get rid of extraneous hyphens, and Sigil's Reports can help identify 'weird characters'.

I would more likely find use for a plug in as requested in the context of correcting grammatical/stylistic 'errors' rather than typographical errors.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-27-2014 at 09:02 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #632
lunker
lunker doesn't litterlunker doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard (3rd Gen), Calibro Touch Lux (Pocketbook 626)
Thank you for your answers. I'm sorry, I guess I forgot to give one important info: My native language is Turkish.

For Anglo-Saxon languages like English, OCR process generally works better and ends with minimal error counts. But Turkish grammar and linguistic is a little tricky.

By "OCR errors", I meant some other problems more of typo's. Actually, after ABBYY, I find typo's etc with regular expressions and then I even do a second check with MS Word for grammar mistakes.

Although, I stumble upon mistyped words when reading. For example:

A sentence like "Mısır yerim" is being recognized as "Alışır yerim". Despite their different meanings, both sentences are grammatically correct in Turkish. And no spell-check method notices this OCR mistake.

I hope I have been more clear now.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #633
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
I hope I have been more clear now.
@lunker -

According to Google "Ben şimdi daha iyi anlıyorum"

I hope someone can help you.

BR
Old 08-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #634
AJLane
Member Retired
AJLane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Could the series and series number be added to the body of the email text along with the description?
AJLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #635
markallanson
Couch Potato
markallanson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3rd Gen.
I like the plugins that allow you to create a recipe e-book from a recipe website. Would it be possible to get one to create an e-book of low carb recipes from atkins.com
markallanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #636
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I'd like to ask if anyone has created this plug-in or is working on it. I'd be happy to help as a beta-tester. The plug-in is a great idea.

Thankxx, Mixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenuks View Post
I think most of you heard about Evernote. This is great service, but there is no option to export your notes (preferably to ePub). Fortunately Evernote provides API which is very good (Python is supported). Evernote notes are basically written as HTML with few Evernode-specific tags. I wrote simple Evernote to XHTML converter, just to check is it possible to write evernote2epub converter. I'm not much into calibre plugins developing (does calibre provide library to make an epub from few xhtml files?), so I want to ask if someone want to provide such plugin. Idea is that plugin would download and convert to epub all notes with specific tag, e.g. epub on user request. Plugin should also check if notes were updated (on user request). It's easy since Evernote Note object has last edition date.

Below is my simple converter. It was tested with Evernote sandbox and Linux. Calibre plugin will require developer key, but it's free (you need register to obtain key). Converter is saved in evernote-sdk-python/sample/client/ directory. If you have any question I will be happy to answer. Thanks.
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #637
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Unfortunately, I cannot code plugins, but it seems to me that this one could go along the lines of Krittika's "Wiki Reader" plug-in.

Evernote even lets the user select a number of notes and can (via context menu) generate the URL of all the selected notes at once. This list could be pasted into a popup field, processed one after the other an placed as chapters into an ebook.

Anyone interested to put this into a plug-in?

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #638
kite
enturbulated
kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenfig View Post
I'd like a plugin that classifies books according to a Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) or Library of Congress Classification (LCC) based on a given title and/or author. This could be done through OCLC's Classify tool. The documentation for the API is available here.

I have neither the adequate programming experience or skills with Calibre plugins to be able to do this myself, but would be motivated to give it a try if someone could help me out. I know a fair amount of Python, but have never modified Calibre before. Thanks!
This sounds very useful to me. But my programming skills are rather in the negative range.

If possible - which it may well not be - I'd like to be able to have more than one Dewey number for some books like "Correlations between immuno-neuro-endrocrinology and socio-eco-political indices". The OCLC's Classify tool reply does seem to list more than one DDC for some books.
kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #639
H.Tim
H.Tim began at the beginning.

Hi,
I recently read about the Spritz speed-reading technique and use it a lot in my browser. So I thought it might be really awsome to make a plug in for that in calibre.

Spritz-Reader Plugin
-> read the whole text with the Spritz technique
-> read selected parts with the Spritz technique
-> controle the speed
-> synchronize with the Spritz account
H.Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #640
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Tim View Post
Hi,
I recently read about the Spritz speed-reading technique and use it a lot in my browser. So I thought it might be really awsome to make a plug in for that in calibre.

Spritz-Reader Plugin
-> read the whole text with the Spritz technique
-> read selected parts with the Spritz technique
-> controle the speed
-> synchronize with the Spritz account
Spritz didn't invent the technique, its been around for years - search for Speed Reading software.

If you find a speed reader you like for your OS (Windows, OS/X or Linux) you should be able to integrate it into calibre via the Open With plugin. Others have done this for Text to Speech software, e.g. Babaloka and Nuance ???.

If you use Windows 8.x then Metro apps may be hard/impossible to integrate via Open With.

You could try running the Spritz Android reader in an Android emulator - not sure if you could integrate with the calibre Open With PI, might be worth a try

BR
Old 11-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #641
Arduno
Arduno began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2N
Not sure if anyone else had the idea

But in a normal book you can see a list of series by the author before or after the title

Would be awesome if Calibre could make a a extra page next to the cover of every book

Which shows the Series list of the Author which it downloads from the Series list you made in Calibre with the book your reading now Bolded in that List

Would help managing which book is first and it helps you to figure out which is the next book on the reading list
Arduno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #642
Darwerft
Darwerft began at the beginning.

Device: My laptop win 7
Idea: A plugin that downloads every free book it can find in the "get books" section.

Features I could think of:
Set Interval: It downloads one free book per day? (Surprise book!)
Space limit: Cant download more than x megabyte per day
Auto Deletes books you didn't read.

Maybe you can think of more.
Darwerft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #643
Darwerft
Darwerft began at the beginning.

Device: My laptop win 7
Idea: A plugin that deletes all images from News feeds.
Darwerft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #644
cam.wieland
cam.wieland began at the beginning.

Library Annex?

Sorry if something like this exists, but I've been looking around and haven't seen it:

I have a massive number of pdfs and ebooks on my computer (academic journals and things) and I'd like to save space by moving them to an external drive, but still be able to search for them in some sort of more sophisticated way than a text file with their names.

Is there/could there be some sort of plugin that allows for this? Maybe saves the titles and metadata for searching, but with a note that they're on a different (*and not always plugged in) drive?

Thanks!
cam.wieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #645
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
A Better User Categories Editor (or alternative?)

So few are the times that I get frustrated with Calibre these days that I find myself not haunting the newsgroup, soaking up every new post as it appears. As a result, I've lost my searching skills. When my favourite niece asked me to include a certain author in her selection list in the family Calibre database, I called up the User Categories Editor and went through the labourious process of finding the author in question and adding him to the list of Applied Items. Two days later, a different niece says she wants me to amalgamate her list with her aunt's and for both to get email when something new appears for their now combined list.

No on-point answers appeared searching for various combinations of user, category, editor, export, import, merge and document (more of the last one later).

Harrumph!

It occurs to me that it would be nice to have a search box just below the filter box in the Editor. KiwiDude's User Category PlugIn can stand in it's place and is much, much faster, but it would be handy to have the facility in place WHILE IN the editor, which takes a bit of time to start up ... about the length of time for me to palm my forehead and say I'd wished I had chosen the plugin instead ... or some words to that effect.

But even the User Category plugIn doesn't do the merge thing from one user category to another.

And here's another thing I wish for. I'd like a documentation capability for user categories. I'd like the LOOOOOONG string that's probably stored CSV-like in the Calibre database system for each category. That way I could create a COMBINED list of my own. But THEN, I would have to have an ability to PASTE BACK IN the results of my dogged editing. Which would have to be error-checked on the way in. And such pasting would absolutely be required to be done into an empty user category for safety's sake. And wouldn't it be great to have an ability to have ALL of the data for ALL user categories exported to a CSV file so that I could bring it into a spreadsheet and see at a glance which authors were shared by ... whatever criteria.

And another thing that MIGHT BE INTERESTING is that this paste method might be able to inject NEW AUTHORS that aren't yet presented in the Calibre database. Saaaay for example, somebody watches a Daily Show episode and wants the book that Stewart is interviewing the author about (an example for me would be the first appearance of William Kwamkwamba who was touting The Boy Who Harnassed the Wind). Well, that author might NOT be in the database already. But everybody wants some notice when I do add the book eventually (I eventually bought Kwamkamba's book in both dead-wood AND ebook versions). I do a monthly search through the books I've added and see who is on record as wanting the book. But I'm limited by not being able to add something in User Categories Editor that is not there ... the author. (I eventually worked around it by adding a fake WANTED Magazine article with the author's name in question, to get him on the lookout list).

So, to summarize: In the User Categories Editor, I want a search box, a documentation utility and a paste utility, with the paste utility doubling as a merge utility. Or a standalone merge utility. I'm greedy, not unreasonably picky.

Any or all of that would be immensely welcome.

Thanks, GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, chatbot, cover, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, kindle, metadata calibre title, missing, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development, scribe