Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
dark/urban fantasy recommendations please

i'm always looking for more dark/urban fantasies to read with LESS romance. some is okay, but i'd rather the hero be more interested in the situations than romance. i like the story world to be mixed with the real world for contrast - like anita blake before too much richard or so much sex and relationship stuff that it took over the parts about her job, the police, etc.

not a fan of vampire "pods", tons of goofy humor (i like it, but not in my dark fantasy), military/government interference.

read all the charlaine harris novels, jim butcher's work, mercedes lackey's urban fantasies, tanya huff's, the p.n. elrods (not as good as the others but okay), patricia briggs. didn't care for lilith saintcrow or kim harrison, hated the twilight series.

Last edited by basschick; 05-29-2009 at 01:37 AM.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Heh.. I just hawked this earlier today but.. I'd try Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks - checking it out on fictionwise.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Nightside series - Simon Green
Cal Leandros series - Rob Thurman
Simon Canderous series - Anton Strout

Some/most of them are available as ebooks.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I second Gideon - all of Mieville's books are great reads.
Wish King Rat would get into ebook soon.
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Glenn Cook maybe? The Black Company series is at least gritty. And the fanatsy detective books are fun if you like hard boiled crime books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Glenn Cook maybe? The Black Company series is at least gritty. And the fanatsy detective books are fun if you like hard boiled crime books.
I looked at Glen Cook's stuff - and will start with "Sweet Silver Blues" - the first of his detective series - thanks for the post - I had never encountered him before!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
These come to mind: Neil Gaiman Neverwhere, American Gods and the Anansi Boys and Dean Koontz Frankenstein series (third and final book HOPEFULLY out this summer).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Mel, is that a firm rumor? I've been waiting for #3 for years now!

I liked the Watch series (starts with Night Watch) by Sergei Lukyanenko. Translated from Russian I believe? The first two were very strong. Not as in love with the third. I see there is a fourth I need to read.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Mel, is that a firm rumor? I've been waiting for #3 for years now!
At indigo.ca (the canucks version of borders) they are offering it for pre-order with a release date of July 28, 2009. So odds are it's looking good. I hear you on the waiting pain though. I actually bought the ebooks for 1&2 when they were on major fictionwise rebate deal so that I could reread them again before the release. Spoiler in next sentence for those not having read first two books...
Spoiler:
Right now all I got left is crazy scientist, scarred big guy mutant, two good cops and a giant conspiracy. Oh and a wife who gets recloned over and over. That was a good part. What any of the actual action was I have no recollection at all. None.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Try Clive Barker's Weaveworld or Imajica.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm currently in chapter 13 of Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin and enjoying it very much. It's the May $1 book from Orbit, but was a free book at Amazon at the beginning of the month. You might hurry out and pick it up before the price goes up.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I find a lot of the dark/urban fantasy to be too 'samey' but I did just get a follow from Justine Musk on my Twitter, and her stuff looks quite promising.

http://www.justinemusk.com/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is "urban" fantasy? Fantasy set in a city? Never come across that term before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is "urban" fantasy? Fantasy set in a city? Never come across that term before.
It's my understanding that it's set in contemporary or near future scenarios with elements of the occult/magic/supernatural but also blending in other disciplines such as the detective genre. The field is largely dominated by female protagonists, kick-ass heroines as I've heard it described, and sometimes has elements of erotica and romance, although this is not the predominant theme within the story as a whole (When romance and erotica become central, the term Paranormal Romance is more often used).

Harry Dresden is described often as Urban Fantasy, as is Laurell K Hamilton (although I'd argue her stuff is more Paranormal Erotica), Stephanie Myers might also fit this cateogry. It has very little to do with Epic Fantasy or anything that followed in that tradition.

Years ago all of this was just called "slipstream" or "cross-genre".
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote