Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Personal Documents Now Working

Just an FYI, haven't seen it posted here, but the Personal Documents heading for the Kindle 2 is now working. Currently all files emailed to Amazon for conversion will be tagged PSNL and will now show under Personal Documents. Items transferred via USB will still be treated as books.

I've fiddled around with the files in a hex editor and couldn't find an easy way to convert files from PSNL to EBOK or vice-versa, so I'll leave that to someone else.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Could it be part of the filename? I know 'ebok' is part of the filename from Amazon. 'smpl' or similar is for samples, I vaguely remember.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just an FYI, haven't seen it posted here, but the Personal Documents heading for the Kindle 2 is now working. Currently all files emailed to Amazon for conversion will be tagged PSNL and will now show under Personal Documents. Items transferred via USB will still be treated as books.

I've fiddled around with the files in a hex editor and couldn't find an easy way to convert files from PSNL to EBOK or vice-versa, so I'll leave that to someone else.
Use mobi2mobi to check the meta data.Maybe it is just an extra EXTH header that contains the information.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can tell you that most filenames of docs downloaded from Amazon are in the following format:

<Book Name>-asin_XXXXXXXXXX-type_YYYY-v_Z.azw

Where XXXXXXXXXX is a 10 digit alphanumeric string, YYYY is a type identifier (EBOK, FEED, PSNL, possibly others), and Z is a varialble-digit number which appears to be a version ID; most books are 0, but FEED (blogs) seems to be an incrementally increasing number. Don't have a magazine sub to tell you what those look like.

Anyway, internally, there's a string for PSNL, EBOK, etc. which is what the Kindle really uses to classify the book. However, just changing the string won't do; there's a flag somewhere that probably has to be changed. I just don't know what is is.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Anyway, internally, there's a string for PSNL, EBOK, etc. which is what the Kindle really uses to classify the book. However, just changing the string won't do; there's a flag somewhere that probably has to be changed. I just don't know what is is.
The format is documented on the wiki. Use some tool like mobi2mobi to look at the data. Then you will for example see if PSNL and EBOK belongs to the same "data slot". If the slot is different it is not enough to change the string.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The format is documented on the wiki. Use some tool like mobi2mobi to look at the data. Then you will for example see if PSNL and EBOK belongs to the same "data slot". If the slot is different it is not enough to change the string.
I took a look at the wiki. AZW is not documented much at all; it just points to the MOBI entry. MOBI doesn't mention any of the strings I did and says in the entry that it is not well-formatted. MOBI2MOBI seems to know a lot more about the format, but little of it is documented in the MOBI2MOBI entry. Yes, I could download and install MOBI2MOBI and the GUI but I'm not really looking to investigate this myself at the moment. I'll leave it for someone else to document the (still undocumented) AZW/MOBI format and figure out what program to use or what program to modify so that it can support editing such metadata tags.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
See! Thats why the Amazon lady kept saying "Personal Documents" all the time when I called them. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41270

Before you know it, Amazon will start censoring what is transferred over the email conversion. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Kindlejunkie has further info here! She's found the right flags for use on the mobi2mobi gui and is looking for help in figuring out a command line string so that mac users can also use this info.

Last edited by whitearrow; 03-16-2009 at 12:05 AM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote