Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Book Backup - How?

How do I backup all my Sony purchased books?
In the past I had simply copied a folder with all the book files, to an external disk. With the latest eBook Library software I am unable to find the location were all the book files are stored...Anyone know?
badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Open the book in eBook Library, press the "i" button at top right, scroll the info list down to see the full file path.
Alternatively you just can copy LRX files from the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
thfc2008
thfc2008 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I found library management a complete and utter mess (even with Calibre) so now I just copy all my ebooks directly to the ereader and back up the entire ereader drive.

I also have a SD card so back that drive up too.

If you get an automated backup program like (the free) Cobian Backup it should handle it all for you with ease.

Alternatively you can just have a single drive on your PC with all your ebooks in and back that up. I do this anyway so have two backup copies of everything.
thfc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Also, remember that you can re-download the books that you have bought from the Sony Store by accessing your account.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfc2008 View Post
... I just copy all my ebooks directly to the ereader and back up the entire ereader drive.
Just to pick a nit: the Sony device is named "Reader" (no "e"). The only reason that this detail matters is because there is an ebook format that is named "eReader" and it is not compatible with the Sony Reader.

I only point this out because we periodically have people who buy the format thinking it will work on the device, because they confuse the names. Then they get aggravated, understandably so. I'm just hoping to minimize that sort of confusion ... or at least not contribute to it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Just to pick a nit: the Sony device is named "Reader" (no "e"). The only reason that this detail matters is because there is an ebook format that is named "eReader" and it is not compatible with the Sony Reader.

I only point this out because we periodically have people who buy the format thinking it will work on the device, because they confuse the names. Then they get aggravated, understandably so. I'm just hoping to minimize that sort of confusion ... or at least not contribute to it.
Fictionwise doesn't help this issue either by saying that eReader format is the preferred format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Fictionwise doesn't help this issue either by saying that eReader format is the preferred format.
Well, it is their preferred format, because they own it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, it is their preferred format, because they own it .
Yes, I know this. But when people use the word eReader incorrectly and then others go to FW and find eReader is the preferred format, it can make things even more confusing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Keep at least 2 backups! Recordable DVDs are cheap but surprisingly hard disks are even cheaper.
I backup to DVD and also to hard disk (not just ebooks).
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
nobicus
nobicus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
I recently had a crash in my desktop which proved irretrievable. For two or three years I have been using an external hard drive to save my most valuable data (but not my ebooks unfortunately). I have torn my tower system apart and have saved the two SATA harddrives for which I have ordered external enclosures. I have purchased a refurbished laptop which has a SATA external port. I shall dedicate one of the hard drives to my Sony, Palm Lifedrive and their content. This will replace my bookshelves when we move to a smaller house next year.(I want to spend less time cleaning and gardening and more time reading now I'm nearly 70!)
If I had to start from scratch I would buy an external 160Gig hard drive, in the UK for less than £50 (ebuyer has some great offers), to dedicate to my reading and also my less important data like my IRS stuff!
nobicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobicus View Post
I recently had a crash in my desktop which proved irretrievable. For two or three years I have been using an external hard drive to save my most valuable data (but not my ebooks unfortunately).
What about signing up for something like Mozy or Carbonite? They allow unlimited backups to the cloud. Or, my preferred way would be to use JungleDisk/S3 which is a metered solution.

I also have a local external hard drive where the Mac is auto backed up locally. The offline backup is an emergency backup... sort of like the 3rd QuarterBack.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote