Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
rhino79
rhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nexus 7
calibre's inserted cover file, titlepage.xhtml

I was wondering if there is a reason that the file calibre inserts as a cover file is named "titlepage.xhtml." This seems confusing, considering it isn't a title page and most retail epubs contain an actual title page file. Is there a reason it isn't named "cover.xhtml"?
rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have no idea, but the filename used doesn't actually make a difference. "ad66sfl4haef231l2asdfv3e412dasdx.xhtml" would work just as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Historical reasons, but feel free to rename the file to whatever floats your boat, using the calibre editor.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have no idea, but the filename used doesn't actually make a difference.
Actually it does make a difference. Many books use a file named titlepage.xhtml for the actual Title Page. If you "Add a Cover" it overwrites that file and you lose the Title Page.

Now, I know to make sure I rename the current file before adding a cover. If I forget, I have to go back to the original file and export/import the Title Page.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sigil has a feature that I always liked -- a template page with placeholders to insert a 'customized' cover

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...add_cover.html

by creating a cover.xhtml file in your preferences folder

Maybe [Add Cover] could check for the existence of such a file and use it as a template to create a cover.xhtml file in the edited ebook.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
Actually it does make a difference. Many books use a file named titlepage.xhtml for the actual Title Page. If you "Add a Cover" it overwrites that file and you lose the Title Page.

Now, I know to make sure I rename the current file before adding a cover. If I forget, I have to go back to the original file and export/import the Title Page.
That would be a feature of the editor, the EPUB structure still doesn't care.

(And anyway, as pointed out below, that happened because of the semantics, not filename, so it is a moot point.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
That hasn't been my experience. When I've added a cover (which is rare) and a file named titlepage.xhtml already exists, calibre has changed the name of the added cover html file, e.g. to titlepage_1.xhtml
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Declare Semantics also come into play (the guide section entries)
I believe calibre is smart enough to deal with name only overlap
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote