Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistlebarrow2 View Post
I have found the files, but do not know how to complete the process
The steps I have followed are

click on connect7share icon
connect to folder
select Calibre Folder
Open device icon
show books in the main memory of the device

What do I do next to complete the process.
The process of fixing the library?

Use Restore Database instead. (Assuming that you are indeed in the right library, as checked through Switch/Create library.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Library Maintenance: See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-restore-database.png
Views:	111
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	125381  
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
thistlebarrow2
thistlebarrow2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
eschwartz

I found how to run Library Maintenance and Restore Database. It has done so, but still no books showing on my calibre?
thistlebarrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Did it process the book folders? You should've seen a progress bar reporting as it scans all folders to see what book records may be in it.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@thistlebarrow2 - I wonder if you accidentally 'removed' the library from calibre's demesne.

I've done it too many times to count. Its easily fixed:-
  1. click the library icon;
  2. select Switch/Create library;
  3. click the blue button;
  4. browse to the library folder;
  5. click OK;
  6. ensure Use the previously existing library at the new location is selected;
  7. click OK.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-15-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #21
thistlebarrow2
thistlebarrow2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
BetterRed

I think you may be right that I have accidently “removed” the library
But I could not follow your clear instructions

When I select Switch/Create library the option to “use the previously existing library at the new location”.

But when I try to search in that box I just get a line of dots.

It all seems just too complicated for my simple mind.

Calibre is a great system, and I enjoy using it. But I do wish it could be more simple when things go wrong. That is when I miss having someone to talk to “one to one”.

Thank you all for taking the time to help. I am sure that it is my lack of understanding and knowledge of Calibre that is at fault. However I have started loading the books on manually again. Lets just hope that I do not lose them again!
thistlebarrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
BetterRed

I think you may be right that I have accidently “removed” the library
But I could not follow your clear instructions

When I select Switch/Create library the option to “use the previously existing library at the new location”.

But when I try to search in that box I just get a line of dots.

It all seems just too complicated for my simple mind.

Calibre is a great system, and I enjoy using it. But I do wish it could be more simple when things go wrong. That is when I miss having someone to talk to “one to one”.

Thank you all for taking the time to help. I am sure that it is my lack of understanding and knowledge of Calibre that is at fault. However I have started loading the books on manually again. Lets just hope that I do not lose them again!
@thistlebarrow2 - Did you watch the videos in this sticky Video Tutorials, I suggest watching a short 'segment', then stop video and then do what Kovid just did, rewind as necessary. I think I spent a few hours going back & forth between the video and the program

And you might find this blog useful calibre tips and tricks. The search box is in the top left corner.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, there are a few options I can think of...

Put the library in "the cloud" using a service like DropBox, Box or Copy and point Calibre to it (this would make a local copy of the books on each machine, also would give you some backups in case something happened to one of the machines).

Or just copy the library over to her computer each time you make a change. Make sure changes are only made from one machine.
I grabbed a Box account a few months ago when they were offering 50GB for free! Too good a deal to pass up.

I have a "Library" folder on Box with all my books, and keep it sorted by date, with new additions listed first. Whenever I add a book to calibre, I also send a copy to Box. As AnemicOak points out, a backup is wise "just in case ...".

My wife can easily check the "new releases" in our Box library and download anything of interest to her PC. I have set up Box to display 100 books per page, so no "searching" is necessary. Just open the "Library" folder and peruse what has been recently added.

The "cloud" process is extremely fast and simple.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
PeterT
How do I check if I have filtered the view?
click little x at end of searchbar or exit and restart calibre.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote