Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Let’s start some Kindle rumors!

With the forthcoming Kobo Forma on its way, surely Amazon must do something in response.

I think the current Kindle Oasis 7” can hold its own against the Forma.

However, the Paperwhite seems ripe for a refresh. Here is my wish list of features to add:
  • 8GB storage
  • Flush screen like Voyage and Oasis
  • Bluetooth audio
  • Same CPU/GPU as Oasis (faster, supports Invert Black and White)
  • Supports external keyboard or simple page turn device (via Bluetooth), keyboard shortcuts for navigation, X-ray, Search, Notebook etc. (Note that this could also create a market for covers with page turn buttons built in)
  • Restore TTS, support multiple languages for that and for VoiceView
  • Support Immersion reading
  • Reduce blue light adjustment for evening reading
  • Waterproof
  • A little smaller/lighter (no larger than Voyage)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Lets add a few items to your wish list.
  • Allows modifying the system with no need for jailbreaking.
  • Displays collections and series for all books without jailbreaking.
  • Allows transferring downloaded books to your computer/calibre
  • Uses a Mobius plastic substrate eInk screen to fit the lighter wish

Feel free to add more items.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 02:18 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
With the forthcoming Kobo Forma on its way, surely Amazon must do something in response.

However, the Paperwhite seems ripe for a refresh. Here is my wish list of features to add:
  • 8GB storage
  • Bluetooth audio
  • Supports external keyboard or simple page turn device (via Bluetooth), keyboard shortcuts for navigation, X-ray, Search, Notebook etc. (Note that this could also create a market for covers with page turn buttons built in)
  • Waterproof
And sell for $99? It looks to me like you hoping for an updated Voyage, not an updated Paperwhite.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
bob_obo
Enthusiast
bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The new Kindle will feature a heated griddle, allowing users to cook with it. It will be marketed as the all new Kindle Fryer.
bob_obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 AM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I kinda doubt there's anything coming soon
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
You do know the next Kindle is going to include Alexa?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:

• 8GB storage
  • Bluetooth audio
  • Waterproof
I hope they notice the larger battery in the Kobo Forma, and do the same on the next Oasis. Also make it easy to change the battery, if the old one dies.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I actually have no wishlist features not already implemented, hardware- or software-wise. The Oasis 2 has mostly everything I wished for: a relatively large, flush screen, comfortable form factor, page turn buttons. As for software, my two biggest wishes (custom fonts and the boldness slider) have been recently fulfilled. Otherwise I was always satisfied with the Kindle software.

So I can just sit back, enjoy the rumors and wait for a new Kindle. Still, I can't deny there's some anxiety involved. On no account do I need a new Kindle (I've got too many as it is). But if Amazon should come out with something particularly juicy, I doubt I'll have the strength of will to resist, and my bank account won't be happy at all.

Vade retro me, Satana...

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-04-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And just when I had posted, something came to me: I wish I could disable the automatic going to sleep, or at least adjust the time period. It's really annoying to put the Kindle aside for 10-15 minutes and then to return and find it has dozed off already.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And sell for $99? It looks to me like you hoping for an updated Voyage, not an updated Paperwhite.
That is more or less the case. But they won’t update the Voyage.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
That is more or less the case. But they won’t update the Voyage.
I wish a Voyage 2 was on the way. Or even just the continuation of the Voyage 1. Some day, once my eyes made peace with the front-lit readers, I was thinking of getting one of these.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Bigger or Faster Processor so stop Freezing.

Already have 8 gig or 32 gig Buyers choice.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Bigger or Faster Processor so stop Freezing.
What freezing? None of my Kindles has ever frozen and I've used them since 2011.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:44 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And just when I had posted, something came to me: I wish I could disable the automatic going to sleep, or at least adjust the time period. It's really annoying to put the Kindle aside for 10-15 minutes and then to return and find it has dozed off already.
You cannot adjust the time, but you can temporarily disable the screensaver. There is a couple of inconveniences involved as disabling screensaver also makes it harder to put your Oasis 2 to sleep. You have to push power button for a while (20ish seconds) until the popup shows and "turn off screen" will put to sleep. Same popup let's you restart, which is the only way to enable the screensaver again. The cover will not put to sleep either, but it will only turn off the light. What I unfortunately do not know is how disabling the screensaver effects deep sleep. If the screen is off, it may or may not enter deep sleep.

If you still want to give it a shot, to disable the screensaver all you need to do is follow what is inside the spoiler. Fair warning, you are entering an undocumented debug command, so use at your own risk.
Spoiler:
search for
Code:
~ds
as search string

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 10-05-2018 at 02:57 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #15
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yes, my biggest wish is an updated Paperwhite or else a replacement of the Voyage - perhaps a Paperwhite/Voyage hybrid?

I don't care about bluetooth much myself, although I did like TTS
My biggest wish is Waterproof, that's the main thing I'm missing now.
I do wish it could be faster and more customizable.
I wish they would have a few size options like they did with the older Fires - for those who want a bigger screen and those who like the screen the size it already is.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 10-05-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote