Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Not a valid argument. I've had ZERO problems with Piratebay, doesn't mean the site is legit.

Yes, I've pointed people there, will the proviso "if you trust androiddev". It still does not make the site legit. The fact remains, this site is a mystery as to who owns it, and what their security measures are, if any. Yes, I definitely trust Google much more than androiddev, which is basically anonymous. Google has security measures in place, there is feedback on each app, and they have precedent for taking down malicious apps.

If someone hacks androiddev and injects malware into each APK, how would we know?

If you have some actual knowledge about the workings of androiddev, beyond your assumptions and anecdotal evidence, I'd love to hear it.
Read their FAQ

From their site
How do I add my app to your site?

First, you need to publish your app in the Android Market. Then our server will sync your app from there.

So you see there is no need to worry. They get their apk files directly from Android Market. Not user upload.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #47
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
If you have some actual knowledge about the workings of androiddev, beyond your assumptions and anecdotal evidence, I'd love to hear it.

Domain Name.......... orkitra.com
Creation Date........ 2009-02-20
Registration Date.... 2009-02-20
Expiry Date.......... 2012-02-20
Organization Name.... visal kith
Organization Address. PO Box 61359
Organization Address.
Organization Address. Sunnyvale
Organization Address. 94088
Organization Address. CA
Organization Address. US

Visal Kith has a few Apps published on the Android Market:

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Visal+Kith

Please note in the Upper Right Hand Corner where it says "Visit Website for Visal Kith". Click it and see where it takes you. Go back and click Apps and it will take you to the main Android App Market webpage.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 04:24 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Read their FAQ

From their site
How do I add my app to your site?

First, you need to publish your app in the Android Market. Then our server will sync your app from there.

So you see there is no need to worry. They get their apk files directly from Android Market. Not user upload.
It's not a question of user upload, it's a question of the site itself. That site would be a great target for a hacker. We have no idea who runs it or what their security measures are, there is no comment system for user feedback, yet we install binaries from them without question. A hacker could inject code into each APK and no one would know.

I don't want to keep going on about this, it's off topic of the thread for one thing, but I think some people are not suspicious enough. A lot of money is made from malware, and almost all of it comes from people clicking or installing something that they shouldn't.

And you can get creepy stuff on your devices straight from the manufacturer. This story has been breaking in the last few days:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #49
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not a question of user upload, it's a question of the site itself. That site would be a great target for a hacker. We have no idea who runs it or what their security measures are, there is no comment system for user feedback, yet we install binaries from them without question. A hacker could inject code into each APK and no one would know.

I don't want to keep going on about this, it's off topic of the thread for one thing, but I think some people are not suspicious enough. A lot of money is made from malware, and almost all of it comes from people clicking something that they shouldn't.

And you can get creepy stuff on your devices straight from the manufacturer. This story has been breaking in the last few days:

Please refer to Post # 48.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I don't want to keep going on about this, it's off topic of the thread for one thing, but I think some people are not suspicious enough. A lot of money is made from malware, and almost all of it comes from people clicking or installing something that they shouldn't.

Any site can be hacked. You could say that about any community site even MR. You could go to any forum and get a virus or any webpage for that matter if it's been hacked and never know. The answer is if you are concern about such things get a antivirus app or don't surf or check email or install anything that that hasn't been scanned.

The site in question looks okay. It's probably one man effort but it's not badly done. You can tell a rogue site easy when you know what to look for. They seem smart to only get their files from official sources and not user uploads. They even contact the developer before posting the app for permission. They seem to take every precaution that should be taken. I have no problems downloading from them.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #51
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Who hacked ectoplasm's account? Anybody remember Eliza? Somebody obviously modified a copy and loaded it on his (or her) account.

How's it go?

User: This site is safe.
EctoEliza: What makes you say this site is safe?
User: It has been vetted and I've used it safely.
EctoEliza: You say it's been vetted. Tell me more about it being vetted.
User: Here are the references to the vetting. It's well established.
EctoEliza: Why do you believe that vetting? Do you really believe it's been well established?
User: Here are the download references, and the registration data.
EctoEliza: How does that make you feel about your mother?

<ducking>
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #52
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Any site can be hacked. You could say that about any community site even MR. You could go to any forum and get a virus or any webpage for that matter if it's been hacked and never know. The answer is if you are concern about such things get a antivirus app or don't surf or check email or install anything that that hasn't been scanned.

The site in question looks okay. It's probably one man effort but it's not badly done. You can tell a rogue site easy when you know what to look for. They seem smart to only get their files from official sources and not user uploads. They even contact the developer before posting the app for permission. They seem to take every precaution that should be taken. I have no problems downloading from them.
Any site can be hacked, yes.
It seems reasonable to assume that a one man effort site is going to be easier to hack, and less likely to be quickly found out, than to hack Google themselves, however.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Any site can be hacked, yes.
It seems reasonable to assume that a one man effort site is going to be easier to hack, and less likely to be quickly found out, than to hack Google themselves, however.

Many one man efforts (domains or websites) are often hosted by very secure companies (e.g. GoDaddy, eNom.com, Google, Yahoo etc.).

Since the website in question in this discussion is hosted by Yahoo, a reasonably secure company, and it syncs its servers directly with Google's servers, the chances of hacking while never completely eliminated are significantly low.

However, mitigating risks to oneself still requires some degree of skepticism, and ectoplasm I applaud you for that. Also, it's becoming increasingly important to protect your tablet using antivirus software that is available to all Android owners at little or no cost.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-01-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #54
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Good article on the subject

http://www.dragonblogger.com/rent-eb...local-library/
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey there, these epub readers that work on the Fire (nook app, montoso or whatever), can they open epubs directly from the Fire's download folder, or will downloaded files still need to be moved to the books or docs (what's the difference?) folder first?
Also, don't let my username fool you, I am an utter newbie to Android apps and tablets and the Fire, so can someone point me to a good thread for learning how to install and manage these sideloaded APKs?

Thanks,
ApK
(no relation)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #56
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Wow, so with Mantano available via Amazon's app store this must be the first device released by a major bookstore player that offers both MOBI and ePub without jailbreaking or using some kluge methods. Just straight forward good rendering of both formats. The Kobo Touch had MOBI support but it rendered it looking like a DOS text file, yuk! Way to go Amazon. (Note that Apple has both on the iPad but Apple isn't a major bookstore player IMO.)
Given you have to download an app to do so, how is this different than what can be done, for example, with the Kobo Vox? It comes with Kobo's reader software (obviously), but through its web browser (no jailbreaking or kludging) you can download the Kindle app and use that. I've also downloaded Overdrive, and there are lots of other reader options (check out the Goodereader app store, which is a website based store rather than one that requires an installation) to download. Since the Vox came out before the Kindle Fire, the Vox has been doing it longer for those keeping score.

I have a reader for every format I can think of on my Kobo Vox, and swap between them as needed. It's fantastic, and I'm thoroughly happy with it.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Hey there, these epub readers that work on the Fire (nook app, montoso or whatever), can they open epubs directly from the Fire's download folder, or will downloaded files still need to be moved to the books or docs (what's the difference?) folder first?
Also, don't let my username fool you, I am an utter newbie to Android apps and tablets and the Fire, so can someone point me to a good thread for learning how to install and manage these sideloaded APKs?

Thanks,
ApK
(no relation)
It varies per app where the epub goes. Books and Docs are for Kindle books only.

If you use Mantano you can set it to sync with certain folders to add books. I have a folder I created called epubs and I put them in there then while in Mantano I hit the sync button and it adds them.

The Nook app has a folder called my documents which your epubs go into then you have to sign in online and sync with B&N server for them to showup. This is why I don't use it.

Aldiko will import the books from anywhere like Mantano can.

You can use ES File Explorer to create folders for you. The stickies in this forum has all the info needed to know how to slide load app. They are easily missed by alot of people but well worth skimming through.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #58
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Blossom,

I'm half way through the stickies now.

I guess since the Native reader tools can't use the epub files anyway, it makes sense that they be in a different folder.
As for file managers, I see ES File Explorer mentioned a lot and also File Expert. I presume they both do the same stuff, or are there some tricks that require one vs the other?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Thanks, Blossom,

I'm half way through the stickies now.

I guess since the Native reader tools can't use the epub files anyway, it makes sense that they be in a different folder.
As for file managers, I see ES File Explorer mentioned a lot and also File Expert. I presume they both do the same stuff, or are there some tricks that require one vs the other?
You will need them both. They really are similar but File Expert has an option where you can choose what app to open a file with and this is needed to sideload Kindle books without restarting if you don't use USB.

I use ES File explorer for it's LAN feature. I can connect to any of my PCs to grab files so my Fire never needs to be plugged into the computer. I only use File Expert for adding Kindle books to the shelves but you need them both really.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #60
ApK

Quote:
I use ES File explorer for it's LAN feature. I can connect to any of my PCs to grab files so my Fire never needs to be plugged into the computer. I only use File Expert for adding Kindle books to the shelves but you need them both really.
Well, you have me on a new hobby of collecting third-party apps for the Fire now (next, if Amazon doesn't get rid of the grey bar on non-amazon videos, and improve parental controls, I'll probably try rooting and replacing the OS...)

By the way, File Expert has network features too...I was very impressed how easy it was to get stuff from my LAN, and since the app storage on the Fire is limited, I think I can get by with just one file manager. Plus, Wifi Explorer Pro was free at getjar, so that should cover the rest of the needs in that area. Fun stuff.

Thanks again to Blossom and MR...with out you guys, gadgets wouldn't be nearly as fun!

ApK