Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #16
rgd
rgd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
Thanks Bob for your insight. All information presented here is extremely useful for us who were either thinking about getting a Reader or just plain newbies.

Anyway, I also just got the Reader today and I feel it's great. I like that it is light and portable. I live in NYC so I commute to work by subway and I was really tired of trying to hold myself steady while trying to turn pages on the book. My arms used to hurt especially because I usually carry a messenger back on my shoulder that is usually loaded with "junk" that I carry around.

The only thing that I would comment so far is that I wish Sony would have chosen a different design instead of placing those dummy memory card things. I think that even if you leave those dummy cards in place, dirt or moisture can still get in. I owe a Sony digital camera so I know Sony can come up with something better!
rgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 500 has a cover for the memory card slot. But it only has one slot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:21 AM   #18
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
I'm a new e-reader user and I love it. The "negatives" you have I don't see as negatives at all. In fact I didn't even notice any of them other than the PDF part. The price is pretty high considering I don't read books as often as many people do, but not having to carry my 400 page book around not to mention the 700 page Tom Clancey book I have makes it well worth the price. Now I can carry both. Truely amazing.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Everybody, repeat after me:

The machine is called the Reader, not the eReader.

The message will get across eventually, hopefully.

The problem with calling it the "eReader" is that "eReader" is the name of a very popular eBook format, which the Sony Reader will not handle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post
... that I didn't feel like buying one, sight-unseen.
I have purchased my PRS-500 without having it seen before. that is why I have:
- asked wonderful people on this forum a few questions before purchasing
- read all the threads here about PRS-500 - especially negative reactions
- downloaded manual from sony.com
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
I'm a new e-reader user and I love it. The "negatives" you have I don't see as negatives at all. In fact I didn't even notice any of them other than the PDF part. The price is pretty high considering I don't read books as often as many people do, but not having to carry my 400 page book around not to mention the 700 page Tom Clancey book I have makes it well worth the price. Now I can carry both. Truely amazing.
The term eReader is used to denote a program that reader eReader format content. Please refrain from the incorrect usage of that term as it changes the entire meaning of your post.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
See my post #19 above, Jon .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Book Processor?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #24
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Many thanks, Bob, for your outstanding review, and everybody else for interesting input.

I have had the 500 for, surprise, exactly one year today! I had the old Rocket eBook for several years and it was wonderful, so when Sony announced the Reader, I signed up and waited (and waited and waited). When it inally came, I was delighted, although missed some of the terrific features the old eBook had that the Reader missed. All in all, however, it was great.

Reading all the 505 threads has been interesting, but despite the advantages, I can't see springing for $300 now to replace my 500, because:

1. Except for the screen improvement, not enough new features to make it worth it for me.

2. I was chagrined after paying full price for the 500 to find recently all the good deals for it at greatly reduced cost.

3. I can foresee getting the 505, only to have it replaced by a "new improved" version a year or less in the future, at another $300 or higher price.

4. I would not be surprised to see the 505 getting some tweaks as Sony corrects the few things that new owners don't like now.

5. I'll wait to see if a Sony credit card deal comes up where can get it for $50 or some such absurd price.

Hope springs eternal, eh?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Thanks Bob for the in-depth review. I haven't yet sprung for the 505 yet, but that's going to come soon after hacks are working on it. My co-worker bought one and let me feel it up for a bit. My only additional thoughts are:

1. Cover design: Personally I loved the design of the 500's cover. It was a little tricky to get on/off, but I liked that because it felt solid. The new cover attachment seems pretty flimsy to me. I also like to fold my cover over and set it down tent-like on its side as I read in bed. I'm not sure if the new cover can handle that.

2. Direct Page Control: Call me old fashioned but I prefer the 500's hack over the official functionality in the 505. The 505 overlays the whole screen showing the input numbers which is far less elegant than using the status bar. That said, I'm still very glad that Sony is noticing the features that are popularized here and incorporating them in the firmware.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #26
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Speaking of cover attachment. How does the cover attach on the 505? Anyone have detailed pics of the attachement?
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #27
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
It's got a tab with a little nub at the top and bottom of the spine of the cover. The nubs fit into holes in the top and bottom of the Reader near the left edge.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 AM   #28
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I had the old Rocket eBook for several years and it was wonderful, so when Sony announced the Reader, I signed up and waited (and waited and waited). When it inally came, I was delighted, although missed some of the terrific features the old eBook had that the Reader missed.
Hi KlondikeGeoff,
as a fellow Rocket owner - and about to decide if to wait for the Gen3 or go for the 505,
could you tell me more in detail which features of the Rocket you miss most using the Reader?

thanks!

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #29
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I push the round page turn button to go to the next page, I do hear a slight click and it takes about the same pressure to push as the right side page forward button. The click is of a lower volume for the round page turn then the click volume for the right side page forward button. But it is there and I can hear it.
I get a perfectly satisfying click as well. Also, the and important point for all of the buttons is that they are no longer concave with slightly sharp edges. I was developing callouses from my 500 <g>- I find the buttons for the 505 much more comfortable.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Well Bob, does this signify retirement for your 500?

We have now found the reason for the downfall of the PRS500, it was not reliabily issues with hardware or software, it is simply the same reason for which most of us acquired it in the first place. Gadget lust for the newest, the closest to one's mobile reading needs. What worries for nothing, it was doomed all the way! Will the 505 survive? Not likely!

I hope you find a nice home for that 500!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote