Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
TiranoPetrie
TiranoPetrie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3G or Nook Colour for international user

Hi!

I'm trying to decide between a nook colour and a kindle 3G+wifi. I've read up on both of them and I'm sort of leaning towards the Kindle but I need help!

Here are the facts:
I live in Australia, so 'walk in support' at B&N on the Nook isn't very helpfull for me. I'm also unsure if the free 3G access on the Kindle will be very good over here, does anyone have any experience with it?

I'm going on a 2 1/2 month trip around America and Canada, which is the main reason I'm looking at buying an eReader - I want to be able to use it on all those 12 hour flights and long bus rides. But I also want to be able to use the web browser in cafes and find interesting locations near me/check my emails/go on facebook etc while I'm on my travels. Most reviews I've found rate the Kindle 1 and 2 web browsers as being amazingly painfull to use, is the 3 any better? I do like the idea of a colour screen but if thats the only upside I'd rather go with the longer battery life of the Kindle

Apart from traveling I really am only going to be using it as an eReader - I have a laptop at home which does me fine, which is why I dont really want to spurge on a more expensive tablet like an iPad.

So what would you recommend? Are there any other options that I could look into?

Thanks!
TiranoPetrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have a K2 and a nook. Both devices are great. Personally as an eReader only device I like my K2 much more. It's much more pleasant to read on an eInk device.

For traveling the backlit device might prove to be a pain, in strong sun light the glaire is stronger, and the backlit screen is dimmer. To counter that you will have to increase the brightness whcih will kill your battery.

The K3 will have a nice browser, I've used my K2 3G in the states, Mexico, and in a cruise ship. It worked great. When traveling the battery life is going to be huge! The Kindle with 3G on will last you days of heavy usage, weeks if use seldom. The nook will last between 4hr-8hrs based on backlight and web surfing.

I rooted my nook and am running the Android OS on my nook. In this configuration I really like my nook a lot. It's a full tablet with all of the best reading software installed, Moon Reader(ePUB), PDF(RepligGo/ezPDF), Kindle. The nook has become my primary portable device over the K2 because it offers more flexibility. But I still miss reading on my Kindle.

I have a smartphone, laptop, desktop, and now a nook. I find that I use my nook more than any of those devices. 7" touch screen form factor is just so convinent. The device handles most of what I need to do, reading, writing, surfing.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Those 12 hour (more like 15 hour to the US) plane flights will be painful if you run out of battery.

If you are going to be travelling in the US and Canada for 2 1/2 months you are going to bring your laptop with you. Which means that you do not need the functionality provided by a tablet.

The K3 is nice a light, has amazing battery life, the 3G works in Australia (at least according to the many Aussies on the board), and the device will receive support no matter where you are in the world since it is an international device.

If you are worried about lighting you can buy a portable light like a head lamp (great when travelling) or a clip on light for your e-reader. Or you could buy the Amazon lighted cover that works with the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiranoPetrie View Post
I'm going on a 2 1/2 month trip around America and Canada, which is the main reason I'm looking at buying an eReader - I want to be able to use it on all those 12 hour flights and long bus rides. But I also want to be able to use the web browser in cafes and find interesting locations near me/check my emails/go on facebook etc while I'm on my travels.
I don't need answers to the following questions, but these and others do have a bearing on what you'll need to take with you:

Are you traveling alone or with friends? Where will you spend your nights - friends, motels, camping? What about local transportation - friends, rental car, bus/subway? What's the longest length of time you'll spend in one location?

Anyway, based on what you stated above, I interpret it to mean that you're traveling light. If it were me, I'd take my Kindle 3 WiFi and my iPod touch 4. Personally, I see no need for 3G, since free WiFi is readily available anywhere in the States where there's a public library, McDonald's, or Starbucks.

The K3 has fantastic battery life and would be my ereader of choice; and the touch will easily handle all of your email, social, mapping, directions, and other traveling needs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, kindle, nook color