Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
$50 for shipping? OMG!

Does the Plus have a Pearl screen?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Well, there you go, then. Much cheaper to stock 300 ea of two colors than 100 each of 6 colors. Just making that up, but makes sense financially.
Especially when you'd get a better price for ordering 300 of one colour versus 100 each of different colours that requires re-setup of the manufacturing process (its sad, I can actually start to see some logic in the management accounting unit I'm doing at Uni).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
$50 for shipping? OMG!

No it doesn't have the Pearl screen. AFAIK it is only the Kindle that has the Pearl screen at the moment.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
$50 for shipping? OMG!

So..... Big News another Reader JSWolf does not like. IF it had a 5 inch screen he would go on and on how awful that is as well (BTW....many people do indeed like 5 inch screens). Crawl back into your hole JSWolf. YES, everyone knows you hate 5 inch screens....and 50 dollars is expensive for shipping bus some of us do not live in the middle of Einkland...amd some people don't care that much about a pearl screen.... Seems like reading on your 505 is good enough...it is good enough for most people....WOW...reading on a Screen with 16 shades of gray for a fiction novel is amazing......??????????????? Ok for Manga and maybe some graphs but that is about it.....I've seen about 9 different models in my corner of a very Non-eink area.... and none o the screens are that different....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
So..... Big News another Reader JSWolf does not like. IF it had a 5 inch screen he would go on and on how awful that is as well (BTW....many people do indeed like 5 inch screens). Crawl back into your hole JSWolf. YES, everyone knows you hate 5 inch screens....
Well, right up to here, you were just ranting about JSWolf's ranting. While it seemed pointless, it at least made some sense from the point of view that you were expressing a contrary opinion in a sideways sort of way

Quote:
and 50 dollars is expensive for shipping bus some of us do not live in the middle of Einkland...
But you kind of lost me here, cuz this seems a legitimate question. Until I realized the $50 shipping quote came from Poland, I was getting ready to ask for clarification, as well.

Quote:
amd some people don't care that much about a pearl screen....
Not sure why there's problem with just asking...

Quote:
Seems like reading on your 505 is good enough...it is good enough for most people....WOW...reading on a Screen with 16 shades of gray for a fiction novel is amazing......??????????????? Ok for Manga and maybe some graphs but that is about it.....I've seen about 9 different models in my corner of a very Non-eink area.... and none o the screens are that different....
Now I'm totally confused, cuz JSWolfe made no mention whatsoever about
16 shades of gray.

Hooray for you seeing 9 different models and none of the screens are that much different. Same here, but that whole paragraph sounds like the sort of post you are bashing Wolfe about, and all he did was ask a couple legitimate questions, IMHO.

Yer whole post was kind of way off the scale pointless, but you are just as welcome to post it as Wolfe is. After all, we have posts show up from people who don't even have any use for ereaders or ebooks to begin with.

LOL, if we all agreed, this forum would have a bunch of threads that start with a comment, and then all the responses would be "yep, I agree with that".

Go, Wolf. Drive us nuts with your contrary opinions.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-09-2010 at 09:51 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
WOW...reading on a Screen with 16 shades of gray for a fiction novel is amazing......??????????????? Ok for Manga and maybe some graphs but that is about it.....I've seen about 9 different models in my corner of a very Non-eink area.... and none o the screens are that different....
Spot on. 8 levels is probably overkill for text type fiction I can usually tell what the picture on the cover was , but, then again, I grew up with ASCII art on Monochrome dumb terminals. (off, normal, bright)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
soothsayer
soothsayer began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin, astak the 2010 version plz.
shipping to ny is $17 (ground). $20 for 3 day, $24 for 2 day, $42 for next day to ny.
soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 AM   #23
hch568
Enthusiast
hch568 began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2, EZRead Touch, Garmin-Asus M10
I believe shipping internationally is $45 (a flat fee) for Astak, plus custom fees and taxes of your country. (Last time I checked).

The cost of owning a plus is about $244+taxes/fees, but it comes with a protective case and replaceable battery (I'll order another battery with the plus if I decide to buy the plus).

After reading all the pros and cons here and the rest of mobilread forum, I might consider buying a Plus around Aug. 15th. Yeah! I change my mind when there's reason for it. Maybe EZ-Plus will be my first e-ink reading device after all. (I was considering Astak's EZ-Plus and ASUS' DR-950 and other competitive devices, but DR-950 is a vaporware.) Well, I'll just wait a few days and see.......
hch568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #24
bzyzny
bzyzny began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
@solicitous

thanks for the link to astak's source code web page! i didn't know they had it up on their site. i knew that jinke had uploaded it, but it seemed to be out dated and the site was a pain to navigate, plus virtually no documentation. i will have to look into astak's sources more when i have time.

the cost of shipping puts a bit of a damper on my hopes of owning this device asap. oh well, i guess i waited since march, i can wait to save up a little more and personally, i don't care much about colors, i think black suits this type of device best anyways.
bzyzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
DoctorX
DoctorX began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
How contrasty is the screen? Better or worse when compared to the old 6" unit?
DoctorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
How contrasty is the screen? Better or worse when compared to the old 6" unit?
There is no indication whatsoever that the screen will be any different. This is a big concern for me as well as Mentor lite has the best screen contrast among Astak readers. Although they are all same generation e-ink technology, the EZ Reader screen contrast is not as good as that of a mentor, Kindle 2, Sony PRS 300 and the Nook. The lack of contrast is more obvious now as Kindle 3 now has the new Pearl e-ink technology which supposedly offers 50% better contrast (if you believe what Amazon advertised).
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
There is no indication whatsoever that the screen will be any different. This is a big concern for me as well as Mentor lite has the best screen contrast among Astak readers. Although they are all same generation e-ink technology, the EZ Reader screen contrast is not as good as that of a mentor, Kindle 2, Sony PRS 300 and the Nook. The lack of contrast is more obvious now as Kindle 3 now has the new Pearl e-ink technology which supposedly offers 50% better contrast (if you believe what Amazon advertised).
The screen on the plus is fully black and the same level of light gray background as the current EZReader basic. It does not suffer from the font problem of some fonts in the Pocket Pro where the font is not fully black, most notably on ADE. The gray scale 16 levels are excellent and shows the full black and full white available from Viziplex screens. An image looks like a black and white photograph for all intents and purposes. I believe no one should have a problem reading this screen.

The speed of the display is even faster than the pocket pro which was already faster than the EZReader basic. Compared to the EZreader basic it seems twice as fast, depending on the complexity of the screen display.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #28
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Thanks, DaleDe. Before my purchase of the nook, this would have been number one on my list - the timing just doesn't work out for me. It is a very attractive device - alas came out too late for me.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote