Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
iPDF and 2.12 questions

Hi, I have upgraded to 2.12 and have shell access, and would like to know if I would benefit from installing iPDF installer for 2.12.

1) 2.12 still doesn't have the fullscreen view function, and iPDF has, so that would be an advantage, right?
2) If I install it, am I right that it will not disable the standard PDF viewer on the iLiad, but that I can choose which one to use?
3) Am I right in thinking that to install it, all I need to do is extract the six folders (bookmark, columncont etc.) from the installer .zip to the Programs folder on my CF card and it will run properly?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
ipdf is the pdf viewer. It has been modified in various ways by various people, and each of these variations is also ipdf: they are just different versions of the same thing, with the irex ipdf being the official one.

ipdf is installed in the directory /usr/bin on the iliad. The set of installers simply copy the version of ipdf that you have selected to /usr/bin so that when you next open a pdf you use that particular version.

If you use the set of installers all you do is unzip it somewhere/anywhere that you can point the contentlister to (it does not have to be the programs directory) and then you can select the version of ipdf that you want to use. When you want to use another one, including the original irex version, you just select that one from the collection of installers. You cannot have two versions of ipdf active at the same time.

So, just to emphasise the point, the installers do nothing magical, they just copy a particular version of ipdf to the right place in the system so that you can use it. They also now make it a little easier to see which version is currently installed (by displaying the file size)
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
THANKS!

Got it working - fabulous! Thanks so much for your help.

Hey you developers, how about setting up a webpage so we grateful users can make donations to thank you and pay for all your hard work that we benefit from?

Thanks again. I wish Bookeen made their software open to developers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
ipdf is the pdf viewer. It has been modified in various ways by various people, and each of these variations is also ipdf: they are just different versions of the same thing, with the irex ipdf being the official one.

ipdf is installed in the directory /usr/bin on the iliad. The set of installers simply copy the version of ipdf that you have selected to /usr/bin so that when you next open a pdf you use that particular version.

If you use the set of installers all you do is unzip it somewhere/anywhere that you can point the contentlister to (it does not have to be the programs directory) and then you can select the version of ipdf that you want to use. When you want to use another one, including the original irex version, you just select that one from the collection of installers. You cannot have two versions of ipdf active at the same time.

So, just to emphasise the point, the installers do nothing magical, they just copy a particular version of ipdf to the right place in the system so that you can use it. They also now make it a little easier to see which version is currently installed (by displaying the file size)
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote