Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
enenalan
enenalan began at the beginning.

Device: any
Weird initial metadata

Kinda new to this, but when I do an initial download of a title, Calibre inserts the word Calibre followed by the version number (as well as what appear to be file properties) before the actual title. Obviously, this is kinda annoying as I have to reformat the title before I can download the metadata. Is there any way to download the title without that extra stuff?

P.S. I'm using the Windows version. I know, I know. I work at a public library and my patrons and staff are scared to death of Linux.....

Mark
enenalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by enenalan View Post
Kinda new to this, but when I do an initial download of a title, Calibre inserts the word Calibre followed by the version number (as well as what appear to be file properties) before the actual title. Obviously, this is kinda annoying as I have to reformat the title before I can download the metadata. Is there any way to download the title without that extra stuff?
I have never heard of such a thing in the 2.5 years I've been on this board and using calibre. Since calibre doesn't insert anything this is unique to what you are doing or the book you're downloading metadata for. You'll have to give us a specific example of the book title, author, isbn that are in your data before you download metadata and exactly what you see afterwords.

Quote:
P.S. I'm using the Windows version. I know, I know. I work at a public library and my patrons and staff are scared to death of Linux.....
What's your point? This isn't a pro or con Linux, Windows or Mac board. Most people here use Windows, but a higher percentage of the folks with problems are Linux users.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think he's talking about downloading a book via the get books- interface. IIRC, that prefaces the title with "calibre" and a number.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I think he's talking about downloading a book via the get books- interface. IIRC, that prefaces the title with "calibre" and a number.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
enenalan

Quote:

You got it. Is there anyway of getting rid of that?

Mark
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's odd, while I haven't written the code for get books so I cannot comment with certainty, I do not see the behavior you are describing. For example I searched for heart of darkness by conrad, dowloaded the epub format from project gutenberg and got a title of

"Heart of Darkness"

Can you give us a specific example?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I last used the feature when it had just been introduced to download some books from Mobileread, and they had metadata like described above.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I downloaded "Barchester Towers" in LRF from Mobileread and got the title "Barchester Towers"

I suspect this happens only if you have told calibre to only read metadata from filenames in preferences->adding books.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

I'll try to reproduce the circumstances when I'm back home this evening.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
enenalan

Quote:
I'll try to reproduce the circumstances when I'm back home this evening.
Thanks guys.... Every free book I download seems to be behaving this way. I wonder if there just some appending to the file name via the code. Like calibre 0.whatever + title.... I'm kinda wondering if there is somewhere in the code that simply adds the superfluous data to the title metadata variable..... That make sense? All I know is VB, C#, C++, and ASP. But it seems like there's a cumulative development of the variable. Like the garbage info is being tagged to the metadata by default... It's kinda like the code is tagging the title with extra info.....

Last edited by enenalan; 08-12-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
enenalan

Quote:
Thanks guys.... Every free book I download seems to be behaving this way. I wonder if there just some appending to the file name via the code. Like calibre 0.whatever + title.... I'm kinda wondering if there is somewhere in the code that simply adds the superfluous data to the title metadata variable.....
Sorry. I have no idea what language Calibre was written in. But based on my experience with Microsoft code, it just seems like there's an auto-appendment to the variable...... I.e. titlefield = garbage stuff + title....
Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

It's time to share with us what version of calibre you're using.