Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The Page 99 Test

http://www.page99test.com/

From the Website:

Quote:
For decades, readers have used the Page 99 Test to judge the writing of a book before buying it. That's the idea here... but with a twist.
Here, published and unpublished writers share their page 99s with readers like you. And you get to rate their writing (without knowing if it's published or who the author is). It's fast. Fun. Addictive.
Note I found this site via Nate's great website "The Digital Reader."

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
I put up Page 99s from three of my books and it's been a lot of fun.

Some of the criticism is so harsh it's very amusing. I get accused of using a thesaurus (I never open one) for one of the selections because I use the word 'lacunae.'

Sometimes the praise is surprising, too. What I consider my weakest work (Lethe) gets the most raves. My best stuff gets panned. Sometimes the criticism is diametrically opposed.

I also have fun critiquing and rating all of the other Page 99s. One thing that's surprising is how often I hate work that is professionally published. There are some classics strewn in as well. 'Little Women' had a totally nonsensical sentence in the middle of its Page 99.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
chrischance
chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrischance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC
Hmm...

http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/...9/satans-arena
chrischance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischance View Post
Works for me. I'd turn the page.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just posted page 99 from The Summoning Fire. I'd give a link if there was one to give...

I got a thumbs up right away, but no comments yet. I'm curious how it'll go.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I just loaded page 99 of Ameriqaeda. I'm eager to see the response.
markuskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What a great idea, I've never gone to a specific page, I just read the blurb and then open the book at random.

That said, my page 99 is dead in the water, it's the middle of a long conversation between two characters and it won't mean a thing to anyone! boy is it compulsive though I've just spent half an hour on there.

Fun though, thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
...That said, my page 99 is dead in the water, it's the middle of a long conversation between two characters and it won't mean a thing to anyone! boy is it compulsive though I've just spent half an hour on there...
Yeah. It's an arbitrary page #.

Me, when I'm at a bookstore and considering buying a book (which does still happen occasionally), I usually read the first page or three. Flipping into the middle isn't something I would ever do.

-David
Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
basilsands
Arctic Warrior
basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle
Interesting site, this. I posted the page 99 of all three of mine just now. We'll see what happens.
basilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
ASparrow
Addict

I stuck 3 books up and so far I'm only scoring 51%, 34% and 33% for page-turning. I have to admit that I probably would only turn the page for one of them (the 51%er).
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Very interesting. I posted one and have so far received three out of three thumbs-up. I just posted another page from an old manuscript.
markuskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
DavidRM
Addict

My opinion of the "page 99 test" has dropped with just one comment:

"There were a lot of characters to keep track of on this one page..."

If you wanted to meet the characters, maybe you should start from the beginning.

I would guess, for most novels, page 99 is quite "en media res".

Ah, well.

-David
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I'm in there with "Prince on a Red Dragon" and wondering what the effect will be.

One disappointment: page 99 is limited to 2200 characters, and a page is roughly 400 words, and a word is reckoned to be 6 characters, 7 with the space after, so that's 2800. I was forced to edit my page - no bad thing, I suppose.

Now I'll have to go to my anti-spam email address and see if anyone has said anything!

Later: Nothing in the mailbox, although I've asked for monitoring. But I went into the site and got 63%!!!!! 5 would turn the page and 3 wouldn't. Now if only I could get hold of the 5!

Now _this_ is what I call feedback: from actual readers. Wow! And now, in all fairness, I must read some others' entries.

Last edited by James_Wilde; 10-28-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Added result of check
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This - page99.com - is such a good idea that I'm going to suggest to the mods that they make this a sticky thread. The value of the feedback is enormous.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #15
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
My opinion of the "page 99 test" has dropped with just one comment:

"There were a lot of characters to keep track of on this one page..."
How did you get to see this comment, David? I checked "Show all feedback" and all I saw was a bar chart with different levels of interest. Or did this come anonymously to your email address?