Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Fire HD dictionary lookup doesn't work on PDFs

Hello all,
I could never manage to use dictionary lookup on my PDF documents. Do any of you have a similar issue? Is it a common bug?
Thank you very much!
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast

No answer?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It seems PDF support is pretty lame. Which is surprising, since Fire supports Print Replica (PDF in mobi wrapper), which does let you do highlighting, text search, lookup, bookmarks, PDF links/TOC, and notes (for that matter so does the Paperwhite).

Fortunately there are much better apps for reading PDF on the Fire.

Unfortunately I don't think calibre (or any other available tool) can generate print replica so that we could perhaps turn on the 'hidden' pdf features. Probably a low priority.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-01-2014 at 05:05 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the answer tomsem.
This print replica, so you say it's impossible to create print replica pdf files for kindle right? Did I understand correctly?
Can you also recommend me a pdf reader for kindle fire that has dictionary look-up function?
Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
stbinan
stbinan began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2, Boox Note, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
Thanks a lot for the answer tomsem.
This print replica, so you say it's impossible to create print replica pdf files for kindle right? Did I understand correctly?
Can you also recommend me a pdf reader for kindle fire that has dictionary look-up function?
Thanks
Ezpdf works. With Colordict you can look up word by touching it. Also recommend Freenote which give you ability to take flexible notes or paint on pdf.
stbinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast

How can I install Colordict. I couldn't find any way to do that. Is there any way to install colordict without jailbreaking the kindle?
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
How can I install Colordict. I couldn't find any way to do that. Is there any way to install colordict without jailbreaking the kindle?
Thanks!
If you can get the actual APK, you can sideload it by turning on Unknown Sources in the settings.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast

Sorry Jessica, but what is APK? Is it the colordict? Where can I install it?
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the colordict, would be glad if you could help me.
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
APK (application package file) is the "android-app.apk" file which you can open to install an app. It is the Android equivalent of a Windows "application.msi" installer.

Normally you don't see it, since Google Play/alternative appstore downloads the .apk invisibly during the install process. (That is why we use appstores, so we don't have to mess with this stuff. )

I have found it here: http://www.androiddrawer.com/3092/do...4-1-1-app-apk/ so you should be able to download that on your Kindle Fire and open "ColorDict_4.1.1.apk" to install.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote