Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #46
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margriff View Post
Can the KFHD access files on a memory stick connected via the micro USB?
To the best of my knowledge the OTG feature of ICS is disabled on the Fire HD. The short answer is no.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
pb117
pb117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8.9" HD
Is there a way to adjust the time before the screen goes into standby? (KFHD 8.9)? I can't seem to find it in the material on the device itself.
pb117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #48
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb117 View Post
Is there a way to adjust the time before the screen goes into standby? (KFHD 8.9)? I can't seem to find it in the material on the device itself.
I have the 7", and assuming the controls are the same, you need to swipe down from the top of the screen to get the ribbon menu, select "More" (plus sign above it), then Sounds & Display, then Screen Timeout (at the bottom). This has various timeout selections from 30 seconds through to Never.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #49
pb117
pb117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8.9" HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I have the 7", and assuming the controls are the same, you need to swipe down from the top of the screen to get the ribbon menu, select "More" (plus sign above it), then Sounds & Display, then Screen Timeout (at the bottom). This has various timeout selections from 30 seconds through to Never.
Thanks, sorry for the dumb*ss noob question, I found it but as a noob the Edit feature doesn't allow deletion of posts so my was there for all to see.
pb117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
No problem .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #51
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Fire
Umm... help? I just got a new Kindle Fire HD for my birthday and I have two questions.
1. What is the best app for reading epubs on the Fire HD? I read somewhere that Overdrive Media was available as an app for the Fire HD, but I don't know as much about Overdrive Media as I do about Calibre and ADE.
2. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, someone PLEASE tell me there is a way to change the wallpaper and the lock screen on this thing! I've already tried a couple of apps that haven't worked, and if I have to look at one more ad about shows or products I don't care about and that I will never buy no matter how many times they throw it at me..... And I'm not paying $15 to get rid of the ads. That's just wrong on so many levels!

Any help is greatly appreciated! *whimper*
Ararose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #52
UncleSteeve
UncleSteeve began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
New Kindle HD user

Totally new user here. Even misspelled my name when I registered.

I got a Kindle Fire HD for my birthday in October. I experimented with downloading books from Project Gutenberg. At first I didn't have WiFi so I downloaded a book and "sideloaded" the file into my KF. It worked but I had mixed results on later tries. My first try ended up with the proper title but others that I tried to load into the KF ended up with the generic cover and no title at all. I was told to get calibre. I found that when I searched Amazon for Calibre I found Calibre Companion which had a note saying that it was not compatible with Kindle Fire. Another posting steered me to the regular website and I downloaded Calibre for my PC (Windows XP). I tried another Gutenberg file and was able to change the cover (at least I think I was) but was totally unable to get the book onto my Kindle Fire HD.
UncleSteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSteeve View Post
Totally new user here. Even misspelled my name when I registered.

I got a Kindle Fire HD for my birthday in October. I experimented with downloading books from Project Gutenberg. At first I didn't have WiFi so I downloaded a book and "sideloaded" the file into my KF. It worked but I had mixed results on later tries. My first try ended up with the proper title but others that I tried to load into the KF ended up with the generic cover and no title at all. I was told to get calibre. I found that when I searched Amazon for Calibre I found Calibre Companion which had a note saying that it was not compatible with Kindle Fire. Another posting steered me to the regular website and I downloaded Calibre for my PC (Windows XP). I tried another Gutenberg file and was able to change the cover (at least I think I was) but was totally unable to get the book onto my Kindle Fire HD.
This is a cover size issue you need a large cover for the cover to show up. I am using 1066x1600 and it works great.

As for getting books on the KFHD there are many ways you can use USB or Dropbox or LAN through ES File Explorer.

You might want to check Amazon to see if they have the book for free though. They have a ton of free domain books. Another place to look is right here at MobileRead you will want the mobi format for your Kindle. Sideloaded books goes into the Books folder on the KFHD.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post
Umm... help? I just got a new Kindle Fire HD for my birthday and I have two questions.
2. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, someone PLEASE tell me there is a way to change the wallpaper and the lock screen on this thing! I've already tried a couple of apps that haven't worked, and if I have to look at one more ad about shows or products I don't care about and that I will never buy no matter how many times they throw it at me..... And I'm not paying $15 to get rid of the ads. That's just wrong on so many levels!

Any help is greatly appreciated! *whimper*
You can't change the wallpaper unless you root. It drives me crazy.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #55
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
not sure if its been mention

but i found setting the margins to middle size means i no longer need to swipe the page
( hd6 on hevetica font size 2 ) didnt no the kindle hd6 could do this

and put rotation lock on or the screen reader stops at the slightest touch - that drove me nuts till i figured it out.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #56
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Can I Full Page Scroll in WP App?

I got a Fire HD 8 (2016) yesterday.

I see the gesture for turning a book page (finger on right edge, move in a little, or just tap).

I see the same thing working with a side-loaded PDF.

But with the Washington Post app, which is the main reason I bought the thing, this does not work. When in a long block of text, I can scroll an exact amount, but can't figure out how to scroll one full page, like in a book, or like in the Washington Post on my eInk Kindle.

I Googled the question, but maybe I am using the wrong search terms. What am I missing?

By the way, the answer may be the same as if in the Silk browser. I'm not sure if there is any interface difference between the Washington Post app and www.washingtonpost.com in the Silk browser.

Thanks.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-27-2016 at 10:50 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:34 AM   #57
fjf
fjf began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Don't know if this has been posted here, but this toolbox:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/w...v28-9.3889604/

makes the kindle fire tablet like any other android tablet very easily, including installing the google play store, and removing amazon adds and most of amazon control over it.
fjf is offline   Reply With Quote