Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #15826
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Just started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. A slow start so far but I've read that it gets much better once the protagonist embarks on a quest which I'm assuming is going to be a strange one.
I read this several weeks ago. I thought it was wonderful. Definitely keep going.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #15827
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lewis.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	102340  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #15828
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And I'm just about finished reading Michael Frayn's Spies which is really really enjoyable. Maybe the best book I've read this year so far.
Got this from Audible just recently, as my daughter is reviewing it for her acting coursework. May well give it a try after that recommendation .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #15829
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[...] moving on to The Iron Breed by Andre Norton.
An omnibus of two unrelated novels, The Iron Cage and Breed to Come. Both have themes common in Norton's other books: Psi talents, long lost civilisations, humans in partnership with animals or aliens, the dangers of too much knowledge and losing touch with nature.

An OK read, but nothing really new.

Next up: Grantville Gazette #46 edited by Paula Goodlett. The latest in the long-running series of short stories set in Eric Flint's 1632 universe.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #15830
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
For now it is on to Second Star to get back into some science fiction.
Another good book. I will find the rest of this series some time, but my book budget is strapped for the near future, so I will need to wait for a while. I hope the rest of the series is as good and if so, I hope Ms. Stabenow comes back to this series some day.

Next is The Second Ship, book 1 of the Rho Agenda, by Richard Phillips. I am guessing this is more of a YA title, but it sounds like a decent read and is what I am in the mood for.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #15831
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is The Second Ship, book 1 of the Rho Agenda, by Richard Phillips. I am guessing this is more of a YA title, but it sounds like a decent read and is what I am in the mood for.
Amazon recommends this to me relentlessly. I've resisted every temptation so far. I would be interested to read what you thought of it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #15832
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Honor Among Enemies by David Weber, book 6 of the Honor Harrington series.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #15833
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin.

"I pictured a low timber house with a shingled roof, caulked against storms, with blazing loog fires inside and the walls lined with the best books, somewhere to live when the rest of the world blew up."
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #15834
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Really enjoying it so far.

Quote:
It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people’s home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The Mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not… Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan’s earlier life in which – remarkably – he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the twentieth century. Already a huge bestseller across Europe, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a fun and feel-good book for all ages.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #15835
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Hunting Party" by Elizabeth Moon, the first book in the "Herris Serrano" series. Herris Serrano relunctantly accepts a job as Captain of a wealthy old lady's pleasure yacht after being forced to resign from the Regular Space Service following her disobediance of the orders of the bloodthirsty admiral. She thinks that life will be boring in the civilian world, but things turn out to be a lot more interesting than she'd anticipated. Star ships and fox hunting are not often found together in one book. Great fun!

This is the first step in attempting to catch up on my 15+ year backlog of Baen "Webscriptions" ebooks. This was one of the first, and I probably bought it around 1998 or so.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #15836
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finished up Ransom by David Malouf. What a beautiful interpretation of the last books of The Iliad. Achilles' despondency/atrocity, Priam's grief, shared loss, and storytelling itself are explored in Malouf's wonderful prose. Achilles—shortly after he defeated Hector and began the defilement of his body while the people of Troy looked on:

Quote:
He was waiting for the rage to fill him that would be the equal at last to the outrage he was committing. That would assuage his grief, and be so convincing to the witnesses of this barbaric spectacle that he too might believe there was a living man at the centre of it, and that man himself.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #15837
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Just started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. A slow start so far but I've read that it gets much better once the protagonist embarks on a quest which I'm assuming is going to be a strange one.
I loved it so much I've chosen it for my book club. It's not an action book, but the writing is beautiful, the characters well drawn and the relationship between Harold and his wife and how it changes is very thought provoking.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #15838
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I loved it so much I've chosen it for my book club. It's not an action book, but the writing is beautiful, the characters well drawn and the relationship between Harold and his wife and how it changes is very thought provoking.
I agree. The writing is beautiful and simple. I'm in class at the moment and reading it on my Kindle instead of paying attention to the professor's lecture.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #15839
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm reading "Forbidden The Stars" the 1st book in The Interstellar Age trilogy by Valmore Daniels. I picked all 3 of the books up at Smashwords and made my own omnibus copy of the books with Calibre.

Last edited by crich70; 03-07-2013 at 02:25 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #15840
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Grantville Gazette #46 edited by Paula Goodlett. The latest in the long-running series of short stories set in Eric Flint's 1632 universe.
A better-than-average issue of the Grantville Gazette. Some excellent new stories, and some good follow-ups to previous stories.

I next read F&SF, March 2013. This was also a much better than average (for me) issue.

Then one of my other recent purchases, Thebes of the Hundred Gates by Robert Silverberg
An interesting little time-travel tale. A short book that kept my attention.

And now I'm reading
Starborne by Robert Silverberg. This month's Phoenix Pick freebie.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote