Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #31
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I love my 350! (even though I also own some Kobos...)
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #32
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

ditto, the 350 is a perfect form factor, wish they will make an update in that size.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #33
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Yes, Kobo has recently announced a 5 inch ebook reader with a Pearl screen. Pocketbook may still make 5 inch screens as well, I'm not sure.
That would be tempting, but I'd miss hitting OPTIONS for the clock!

A couple of weeks ago, I broke down and ordered a "Like New" 350 as a backup for my 650 - now I can see why you guys rave about them so much. Even in its padded case, it fits in my trouser pocket at restaurants for trips to the buffet, or mens room. I do try to be EXTRA careful with the stylus!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #34
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Another convert! hehe Yeah, I'm still totally in love with my 350s and it's been about 2 years now. I'll admit I was tempted by the Kindle Paperwhite for a few minutes (very few)... in theory nice idea, Amazon's execution not so much.

If I ever break down and get a lighted reader (more likely when my 350s die), I'll wait and see what Sony puts out in the future with a light. I'm too spoiled by how Sony handles collections, the uncluttered interface for the books on the reader, metal face... and install PRS+ for even more great features and I still don't think it can be beat by anything else.

I'll definitely miss the 5" size though when that happens and taking it with me every time I step out of the house.

And what hitting options for the clock? My readers show the time always in the bottom black bar with the battery status and pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-26_1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	96841  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-26-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Add screenshot to show time, which made me notice a typo! Thank you, SeaBookBuy! :D
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I have to admit I do prefer reading on my Kindle 3, but as someone who doesn't really like keeping my e-reader in a case due to the added bulk, the 350 in the Sony cover is just perfect. As you say, even in the case it's still small and neat enough to be carried in your pocket.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #36
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
My daughter and I discussed e-reading devices the other day. all sorts of different options, but after a while she said "Our 350s still really can't be beat, can they?!" And I'm inclined to agree! They aren't the best in every single aspect, but all over they really rock!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
While I am tempted by the new Kindle and Kobo readers I am enjoying my PRS-350 too much to upgrade. It really is a fantastic device. I really hope that Sony goes back to metal frames on their ebook readers in the future.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #38
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My only 350 issue that I wish I were techie enough to bump up the font sizes slightly as small doesn't quite work, and medium is a fair amount of page turning it seems.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #39
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
My only 350 issue that I wish I were techie enough to bump up the font sizes slightly as small doesn't quite work, and medium is a fair amount of page turning it seems.
Install PRS+ and you not only can change your font size, but the font as well to anything you like. The image I posted above is showing Lexia DaMa font. PRS+ makes it seem like a new reader it has so many extra features.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-26-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #40
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Link to where to find PRS+ (and instructions)?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #41
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

There's a long thread about it in the Sony Dev subsection here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510

Just go to the Project Site from the link on the first post, download the appropriate file for your reader, double click and it installs. It's a pretty simple process now.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #42
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks - I installed PRS+ but have no idea how to change the font size afterwards? The intructions seem to indicate one needs to add all sort of CSS'ing that wiould be far too tech-y for my feeble brain!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

It's really very simple to do. You need to include the font that you want, and usually in 4 styles (normal, italic, bold, bold italic). Place the fonts in a subdirectory named "fonts" in the root of the Reader partition, so as an example for the font in my screenshot above, the path to my fonts will be:
Reader\fonts\LexiaDaMa.otf, LexiaDaMa-Bold.otf, LexiaDaMa-Italic.otf, and LexiaDaMa-BoldItalic.otf

You can use either otf or ttf fonts, both work equally as well. Then you create a stylesheet that you place in Reader\database\system\PRSPlus\epub\LexiaDaMa.css. You can name it anything you like to identify your font in use. Here's a sample of my stylesheet for my favorite font that you can use as a template, just replace the name of the font with your exact name of the font you want to use. Note that you need to be particular about using caps if the font name is in caps, it is case sensitive.

Spoiler:

@font-face {
font-family: "LexiaDaMa";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-Bold.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-Italic.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-BoldItalic.otf);
}

body {
}

p {
font-size: 1.2em !important;
text-align: justify !important;
line-height: 100% !important;
margin-top: 0.5em !important;
margin-bottom: 0.5em !important;
}

html {
font-family: LexiaDaMa !important;
}

.mainBody {
}

.calibre {
}

Some use much lengthier stylesheets trying to change every possible style called, but if you ever opened up an epub, you couldn't possibly come up with every single name that someone might use. I also found if the above doesn't change the font, it's usually embedded in the epub and it's best if you change the stylesheet within the epub itself to get rid of the specified fonts. You can do that with the Tweak option in Calibre and explode book, edit the stylesheet.css you find there, save it and rebuild book. Or the Modify ePub plugin in Calibre will often work. Or open the epub in Sigil and get rid of the specific font-family name references.

Once your FontName.css stylesheet in on the reader and the 4 font files, then under PRS+ Settings on the reader, select Book Viewer, User EPUB Style (CSS File), and select your new stylesheet there. You can add as many different fonts and stylesheets as you want to test and change them the same way. Go back to your book and you have your new font showing.

If you have any problems, post back, you'll get a lot of help. And I'll bet anything after you've explored all the various options in PRS+ that you'll install it on your 650 also.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #44
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Love my blue 350 so much... that now the screen is dying i've bought a brand new one to swap out the internals - and if i was in Canada i'd probably get another backup for $50 just in case!

I did the prs+ so long ago.... changed fonts to Fontin slightly larger pt size - lovely. That is really the only two complaints i could have with the 350:-
1. Rubbish installed font (way too light a line, ugly)
2. Hopelessly humongous jumps in point size between 'S' and 'M'
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #45
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
SeaBookGuy

as you already did the PRS+ base installation, you really should try Analogus ZORK- version.
It is far ahead the code-state from 2.1.01a and adds some very nice font-fine-tuning direct in the Size-Overlay. The menu you get when you push the size-button.

For the more tech-savvy: mentioned features are also included in current PRS+ standard-repository. But you will have to buid your own installer.
See here

Last edited by Mark Nord; 11-28-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typos
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote