Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
goldencore
Enthusiast
goldencore began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 FW 5.4.5.1 (JB)
Two PB 903 questions.

I would like to know two things about the PB 903

1. Can you browse any page over 3g?

2. How exactly does the annotation feature work at the moment? What is possible in what way and what does not work?

Thanks for your help!
goldencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
1. it seems to work although it's not official

2. no annotation at all. you may mark complete lines which will be saved. no words or hand written annotations.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
goldencore
Enthusiast

Thanks!

Hmm, I am still not sure if I should buy one or not. Trust the proposed firmware update or not... If the Sony 950 would be available in Germany, I think I'd already bought it...
Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencore View Post
Thanks!

Hmm, I am still not sure if I should buy one or not. Trust the proposed firmware update or not... If the Sony 950 would be available in Germany, I think I'd already bought it...
Hi Goldencore, the next promised update might (!) be on January 28th - and from the German forum it appears that they were undergoing a big reorganization to cope with tenfold increase in demand. Of course, the date may slip, but it is now just a week to go, so if I were you I would wait until the end of the month to see how things pan out.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
goldencore
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Hi Goldencore, the next promised update might (!) be on January 28th
So tomorrow is the big day...
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencore View Post
So tomorrow is the big day...
yep, supposedly: not sure whether to laugh or to cry, I suspect the "preview" from the Russian forum was the announced update... hope I am wrong
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
If someone manages to port Xournal, the annotation problem is solved.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
If someone manages to port Xournal, the annotation problem is solved.
Not really, ppl. expect a feature to write directly into documents, so they have to deal with a lot of stuff like zoom levels, note-saving, etc.. i expect it to take a while before it is satisfactorily implemented.
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #9
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
I'm using 3G when I'm on a way. I found carrying PB903 for much more convenient than bringing my laptop with me /mainly for a short term trip/. It works surprisingly well - you can download various type of files, you can switch between the opened tabs - generally the stylus is doing great job. It won't replace you laptop or tablet but it is good enough to use it for a short time. Just keep in mind it didn't came with sim included. I putted my own.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
catharsis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
Not really, ppl. expect a feature to write directly into documents, so they have to deal with a lot of stuff like zoom levels, note-saving, etc.. i expect it to take a while before it is satisfactorily implemented.
Are you familiar with the Xournal application? http://xournal.sourceforge.net/

It works on my iRex DR800, which also has some kind of Linux on it, so if someone has some free time and if Pocketbook SDK is available, it can be ported for 903 and other devices.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
fishNco
fishNco began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesome View Post
Just keep in mind it didn't came with sim included. I putted my own.
@onesome: I haven't opened up the back of my 903 yet, can you insert a regular-sized SIM card or must you cut it down to size like a micro-SIM?
fishNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Regular size (mini sim, not credit card size and not the even smaller micro). And xournal does have zoom, pan, and even note export as pdf, but don't hold your breath for a port.

Right now, the PocketBook does have nearly all libraries required to run Xournal, but the most crucial one - Gtk+ - is a hasty port, not suitable for annotations (it appears not to support calibration or strokes), and the sources for that have not been published. I have tried building Gtk+DirectFB programs to test it, and it doesn't seem trivial.

Perhaps I should have a closer look at how the DR800 solves it, normally Xournal expects an X server and uses XInput for better digitizer support.

Edit: Looks like the DR800 version does use X (it links to libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0). It might actually turn out to be easier to get OpenInkpot's X server running on our PocketBook devices than porting Xournal to run without X.

Last edited by LoneTech; 01-29-2011 at 11:56 AM.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
catharsis
Addict

LoneTech, I'm sure the guys from DR800 are willing to give advice for Xournal port, since they also seem quite interested in 903.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
fishNco
fishNco began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
ah, thanks @LoneTech, a normal sized SIM is much more convenient.

eagerly awaiting any further developments in porting Xournal!
fishNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
Just to confirm about ordinary SIM card size and you'll need a small/clock screwdriver to remove battery first.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote