Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #31
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Ah yes - I thought that might be what the name meant !
I installed the Cooler Reader FW in mine today and it is WAY better than that Green Book version it came with - the animated grayscale screen alone drove me NUTS !!!

Does the icon FW have any way to lock the buttons ?
I didn't know before today that turning it off was optional, and since I move around plenty (and even with it's case on...) I am concerned that the buttons can be pressed by accident and would like to avoid that.

Best Wishes.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #32
o0-0o
Enthusiast
o0-0o doesn't littero0-0o doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Ah yes - I thought that might be what the name meant !
I installed the Cooler Reader FW in mine today and it is WAY better than that Green Book version it came with - the animated grayscale screen alone drove me NUTS !!!

Does the icon FW have any way to lock the buttons ?
I didn't know before today that turning it off was optional, and since I move around plenty (and even with it's case on...) I am concerned that the buttons can be pressed by accident and would like to avoid that.

Best Wishes.

mark
As far as I know, there is no option for button lock in the icon firmware.
I suppose you can set automatic power off so even if the device is turned on accidentally, it can power off after a certain period of inactive. Anyway. the buttons on a Mentor are really stiff and the power on button need to be pressed for 2 seconds to turn on the device so I suppose it is highly unlikely that the device will be powered on accidentally.
o0-0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #33
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thanks.
I am not concerned about it powering on - but with the side buttons or the page turning buttons if I carry it around and leave it on deliberately.

Now that I have been told the E-ink does not consume power when on and needs only very frequent re-booting I'd like to use it that way.

Best Wishes.

mark
Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #34
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm thinkin' Jenifer needs to be brought into this discussion. It seems to me you may have received a knockoff or a switched customer return and NewEgg may have some esplainin' to do.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm thinkin' Jenifer needs to be brought into this discussion. It seems to me you may have received a knockoff or a switched customer return and NewEgg may have some esplainin' to do.
Or just lousy quality control since the Mentor sripe is there, but the second screening (the word, Mentor) never got done.

Do the normal mentors have the same label on the back?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #36
o0-0o
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or just lousy quality control since the Mentor sripe is there, but the second screening (the word, Mentor) never got done.

Do the normal mentors have the same label on the back?
The Mentor is manufactured by Netronix in Taiwan. This particular model, EB600, has been rebranded by several companies, such as Foxit Reader, ViewSonic , Cybook Gen3 (400Mhz version),Cooler, PocketBook+,Kobo, Astaka Mentor, and PocketBook (UA, EU). All of them have exactly same button layout but slightly different body encapsulation. Some of them even look exactly identical except for the brand name printed on the front of the device. For example, the ViewSonic and Foxit reader sold on Newegg look exactly like Mentor.
The model number of Mentor Lite on Astak.com is EB-EB600WHT. Hence I guess the Mentor that I got should have this model number labled on the back instead of the "EB600E LITEBOOK".
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #37
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The Mentor I have has Astak on the back of the unit and the label has Astak on it (Model No. NTX_EB600). I still think someone pulled a switcheroo. Jenifer?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #38
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:
I just spoke to a team member who says that the device we provide to NewEgg should be the same Mentor, despite any issue with logo/branding on the device. However, I am not sure about all the details of the firmware (which should be nearly identical to ours). I am going to talk with my boss today about this.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #39
o0-0o
Enthusiast

Quote:
The Mentor I have has Astak on the back of the unit and the label has Astak on it (Model No. NTX_EB600). I still think someone pulled a switcheroo. Jenifer?
Thank you very much for the useful information.
The device came with complete discharged battery. I charged it for 12 hours on Thursday. I did not use it very much since then but the battery meter showed at least half the power has gone today. Is it suppose to deplete so quickly for a new device?
Once I get another SD card tested on my device, I am ready to talk to Newegg.

Last edited by o0-0o; 08-16-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #40
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
I just spoke with my boss about the unmarked Mentor device.

We ran a promotion with NewEgg a while back, and a certain number of devices were sent unmarked because they were the first out of the gate. They are definitely the "real-deal" Mentor.

As for the firmware, you should be able to update your firmware to our latest version and have no troubles. Our tech also says the Green Book firmware is fine, and if you aren't having problems with your current firmware, then don't worry about updating.

As always, support@astak.com is there to help with any firmware issues.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #41
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Question Interesting...sooo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0-0o View Post
The Mentor is manufactured by Netronix in Taiwan. This particular model, EB600, has been rebranded by several companies, such as Foxit Reader, ViewSonic , Cybook Gen3 (400Mhz version),Cooler, PocketBook+,Kobo, Astaka Mentor, and PocketBook (UA, EU). All of them have exactly same button layout but slightly different body encapsulation. Some of them even look exactly identical except for the brand name printed on the front of the device. For example, the ViewSonic and Foxit reader sold on Newegg look exactly like Mentor.
This all makes me wonder if one found F/W for an identical unit with different functionalities - would it be possible to 'morph' the Mentor into say...a Foxit, ViewSonic , Cybook work-alike ?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #42
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Question EB600 choices ?

As an example:
Code:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/update.html
Presto ? Instant personality change ! Possible ???
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
This all makes me wonder if one found F/W for an identical unit with different functionalities - would it be possible to 'morph' the Mentor into say...a Foxit, ViewSonic , Cybook work-alike ?
The Netronix clones (Mentor like devices) have specific encoding in the install firmware to prevent this kind of change. It may be possible, in some cases, to defeat this but I don't know how legal that is. It could also brick your device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #44
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Cool OK.

Thank You Sir.
I am sure someone clever with such things (I am not...) would be able to make a work-around, and frankly I, personally, could not possibly care any less about whether some company would be offended if their F/W was shoe-horned into this poor old man's reader during this time of experimentation and growth of these devices.
(Neither am I inclined to take wild chances and brick my little Mentor...)

My inclination in posting these thoughts was two-fold:
A - Possibly inspire some discussion amongst and for the EB600 crowd, so we are not simply forgotten;
2 - Remind the Astak folks that even with the EB600 seeming to be sold less or gone from retail sales that there ARE many around and the folks with 'em haven't died yet.

And there you have it.

I hope some of the more technically oriented sorts here may jump in and share some tips and tricks for Mentor users in this playground !!!

Best Wishes.

mark