Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
danceswithcats
danceswithcats began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Kobo screen died after less than a month

I don't think I did anything wrong, but the screen just has a black bar across the top and ghostly grid lines across the bottom third.

I contacted Borders U.S. whose reply was an apologetic shrug. I really think I bought a lemon.

Any suggestions?
danceswithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Take it back and ask for a replacement. Certainly appears as though the screen has died.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I contacted Borders U.S. whose reply was an apologetic shrug ...

Did you purchase it at a Borders retail store?

Did you purchase it online from Borders.com?

Are you a Borders Rewards Club member?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a picture of the screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
flexnib
flexnib began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-T2, PRS 950, PRS 350
I had a problem with my Kobo too about a month after I got it (see this picture). I brought it back to the Borders shop where I bought it here and they replaced it, no questions asked. I did have to wait a month until they got more black ones in, but I didn't mind waiting. If it's only a month old it's still under warranty, no?
flexnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo
Warranty is 1 year. But that doesn't mean that Borders will replace it for you for up to 1 year. Their return policy is different from the warranty. If Borders won't help you out, then you should contact Kobo directly to see about getting a replacement.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
danceswithcats

Thanks everyone.
clintbradford, I bought it from Borders online. I'm in the U.K. so I want to be sure I can return it before paying the postage.
HarryT, I'll post an image tomorrow night.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I bought it from Borders online ...

In the U.S. and as Borders Rewards Club members, we have SIXTY DAYS to return/exchange online Kobo purchases. I do not know the policies for Borders in your country - but I am sure they're posted on your Borders Web site.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
danceswithcats

Here's a picture, just so you can share my pain.

The problem is that the choice of ereaders available in the UK is far more limited than in the US. That shouldn't matter, because of the clever internet. I just went online, found the machine I wanted and ordered it from an American company (Borders went bust this side of the Atlantic some years ago).
All wonderful until there's a problem.
I'll hassle borders again.

Last edited by danceswithcats; 08-11-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: image not showing in post.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
To me it looks like a broken screen given the slightly curved line near the upper right. Might be worth seeking a replacement. Some people are reporting ereaders being replaced with broken screens.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
To me it looks like a broken screen given the slightly curved line near the upper right. Might be worth seeking a replacement. Some people are reporting ereaders being replaced with broken screens.
Definitely under warranty. Usually store manager's discretion on whether to exchange past the exchange period. In Canada, Indigo stores have been pretty good with that, you may get the same result in Oz.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #12
Brad Henry
Brad Henry began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
My Kobo purchased in Brisbane, Australia has a dead screen, with just a half inch black line along the top. It is past the 30 day returns period for the Angus & Robertson store.

Anyone know where to send my Kobo for waranty repair ?

Is there a place within Australia ?
Brad Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Brad,

On the Kobo website, there is a customer service number: 1-866-204-4714. Also on their website are the warranty terms that state within the 1 year warranty period, if your unit is deemed defective through a manufacturing fault (and not user fault, of course), you have the option of replacing your unit with one of equal or lesser value; or having your unit repaired with new or refurbished parts. I'd give that customer service number a call, if you can, and see what they can do for you.

Good luck
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Brad as you bought from A&R I suggest you call them. They have a 1800 number on their website for warranty repairs.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Definitely under warranty. Usually store manager's discretion on whether to exchange past the exchange period. In Canada, Indigo stores have been pretty good with that, you may get the same result in Oz.
Screen breakages are not normally warranty repairs. The warranty does not cover damage caused by the user, which breakage of the screen substrate undoubtedly is. It would be like buying a glass vase, dropping it, and then taking the fragments back to the shop and requesting a replacement under warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote