Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
milan
milan began at the beginning.

Device: none
reading in landscape mode

is it possible to read the in landscape mode on Nook? I would find this feature especially interesting for pdfs, as it would increase the width of the page significantly and make it readable perhaps?
milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
milan

also, is panning and zooming around pdfs supported?
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
No, landscape mode is not available in any current nook app. I would imagine it's related to the fact that the e-ink and touchscreen are treated as one tall screen in the operating system, and to make the e-ink landscape the touchscreen interface would have to have a "landscape" version as well.

You also cannot zoom/pan PDF documents. On documents that support it the nook will "reflow" the text to make it more readable and the font size adjustable. This doesn't work well with graphic-intensive PDFs, or at all with PDFs that are based entirely on images as pages.

Last edited by Rayven01; 06-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
milan

thanks for info. This reflow can be activated on the PDFs somehow? I would desparately need it for reading scientific articles and books
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
cpinedo
cpinedo began at the beginning.

Device: neek
Yes, you can read in landscape mode

Hi folks, what I've done to read in landscape mode is just rotate 90º in my PC all the pages of the pdf file and that's all. You may crop the white margins as well, so the readable area fits better in your nook's screen.
There are some threads around here with some helpful tools like papercrop, pdfread, sopdf and pdflrfwin which do this job automatically (crop margins, cut A4 formats in two halfs so it can be read in landscape mode each half, etc.)

I hope it helped.
cpinedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
milan

just tried reflowing a document on Quad Core Pc and it took a whole minute for 9 pages!!! Is it so slow on the nook also?

cpinedo, if you use these tools, are the pdfs made out of images?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpinedo View Post
Hi folks, what I've done to read in landscape mode is just rotate 90º in my PC all the pages of the pdf file and that's all. You may crop the white margins as well, so the readable area fits better in your nook's screen.
There are some threads around here with some helpful tools like papercrop, pdfread, sopdf and pdflrfwin which do this job automatically (crop margins, cut A4 formats in two halfs so it can be read in landscape mode each half, etc.)

I hope it helped.

Very good thinking, great advice.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote