Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Mythoughts
Mythoughts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Unhappy Default dictionary missing :(

Hello.

I could really need some expert help right now. I needed to recharge my Kindle 2 Global so I left it in the USB charger overnight, I saw it turn offf once and restart soon after I plugged it in, then I went to sleep. Now when I was going to use it, and it's very handy dictionary function which was one of my main reasons for buying the device, it's GONE!

I can't see the dictionary any longer in the document list and no dictionary referrence happens for ANY word. When I try to manually search the dictionary I get the message "Unable to open the default dictionary, please go to Settings and choose a different dictionary". However, in Settings there's NO dictionary option selection!

Can someone PLEASE help me get my dictionary back? I REALLY need that function, and like I said before, it was one of the main reasons for buying the device!

Best regards,
Mythoughts

E.S. - oh yeah, then I get an "unexepected error" following that message
Mythoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried rebooting the Kindle? Slide and hold the power switch until it reboots.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried rebooting the Kindle? Slide and hold the power switch until it reboots.
And I would suggest doing it with the wireless connection on so it can sync with the Amazon backup files.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Mythoughts
Mythoughts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apparently I didn't even have to do that. I put it on sleep, when to get lunch, came back, took it off sleep and there the dictionary was So I'm guessing the dictionary is actually a part of the firmware?
Mythoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the dictionary is a part of the firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert