Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Kindle won't bookmark

I downloaded one of Baen's books and ran it through Book Designer. Not a big deal, I've done it with 8-10 other books.

But this particular book, when the Kindle goes to sleep, it doesn't save your place; when you return, it's at the cover page. If, in lieu of letting it go to sleep, you try to put a bookmark in it, you get a notice on the screen that the Kindle is out of memory and you should go to the Content Manager and delete something so that you have room.

Can't reproduce this effect with other books on the Kindle, and almost all of my not-that-extensive library is on a 2-Gig memory card, so it's not out of memory.

I tried resetting it, and also deleted the book and imported it again, and got the same problem.

Any thoughts on this? Igorsk?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did you delete the MBP file associated with that ebook? That's where the bookmark is stored. I don't know for sure that when the kindle deletes a book it gets that file as well.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think the MBP file is NOT deleted -- they expect that you will later want to import that book again from Kindle's backup library, and will still need those files.

Also, do you regularly go to the content manger and move your books to it from the Kindle memory? Everything initially goes only into the Kindle memory -- and it is up to you to move it to the memory card.

I have over 450 books on my Kindle, have imported books from many sources including my own on-line library on my computer's hard drive, and have never seen that problem.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hooked the Kindle up via the USB connection and looked at the folders and the MBP file is deleted when you delete the book from the memory card.

I routinely transfer my books from the Kindle's memory to the memory card, though when I transfer books to the Kindle I put them directly on the memory card. It's only downloaded books that go to the Kindle first.

So, I put this book back in BD, stripped it of the cover art that was there, deleted the toc and the page breaks, put the page breaks back by hand, created a new toc, made a new book. And...the same thing happens. Get the exact same message.

A complete mystery, because there's nothing unusal about this book that I can see.

Wonder what mechanism causes the Kindle to save your place; to in effect, create its own bookmark when the Kindle goes to sleep. Something is conflicting with that and the owner-created bookmark function. It would be interesting to know just what.

I hope this is a localized effect, and that it won't suddenly start occuring with my other books.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
What is the name of the file? Did the original file work or was it not in mobiPocket format? If you make the file available other can check if the Cybook have the same problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Strether
Guru

Well, it turns out that when you transfer the file to the Kindle memory card, it doesn't create an MPB file. My guess is that's the cause of the problem, but as to why it doesn't create the file, I've no clue.

I've tried it a couple of times, and have had no luck.

I did download the novel from Baen in Mobipocket format and it behaves normally, so guess I'll go with that.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Well, it turns out that when you transfer the file to the Kindle memory card, it doesn't create an MPB file. My guess is that's the cause of the problem, but as to why it doesn't create the file, I've no clue.
Strange characters in the file name maybe? Another posibility is that you have saved a file A.prc and a file A.mobi and that confuses things since both want to use A.mpb. It is the reader program that should create the mpb file if it does not exist.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I was unable to bookmark, with a similar error message "memory full". I had editted some things out of My Clippings and it didn't like what I left behind. I deleted the My Clippings file (using the Kindle itself to delete it) and all was fine.

However - since yours doesn't save the current-page either, this might not help you. The Clippings file is only affected by bookmarking (and highlighting and making notes), I think.

But, in the My Clippings file, it does have to store the title line, when you bookmark. So yeah -- if there is a strange character in the book's title, that might cause all sorts of problems.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Strether
Guru

The book title had an ampersand in it, but I changed that in BD and made a new file and it still won't create a MPB file. I tried importing it to both the memory card and to the Kindle itself and it doesn't make any difference.

Wonder if Amazon would talk to me about it if I called? It hasn't happened with anything else I've formatted using BD, and it might not happen again, but it would be good to know what causes the problem.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
The book title had an ampersand in it, but I changed that in BD and made a new file and it still won't create a MPB file. I tried importing it to both the memory card and to the Kindle itself and it doesn't make any difference.

Wonder if Amazon would talk to me about it if I called? It hasn't happened with anything else I've formatted using BD, and it might not happen again, but it would be good to know what causes the problem.

Jim
Try doing it on your PC using the PC version of MobiReader. It will also create the MPB file. If it works you could move it over and if it fails you will have more information. It has to be some error that is causing it not to create the MPB file. The lack of this file is causing the problem that you see with no bookmarks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Strether
Guru

Well, it transferred over, OK, but didn't create a MPB file.

Thanks, for the thought, though. I didn't know I could transfer from the Mobireader to the Kindle. Interesting, but I don't know when I'd use that feature, normally.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What version of Mobipocket Desktop are you using? Version 6.0 will move stuff and put it in the "documents" folder, 6.1 and 6.2 will not.

I don't use it, but MobiDesktop is a pretty good piece of software. It will sync your ebooks between your Kindle, PC, and whatever other Mobipocket device you have. Plus, it also has a huge offering of RSS feeds that can be generated into ebooks and moved automatically to your Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
In the later versions, MobiPocket desktop creates an "ebooks" folder since it sees the Kindle as an USB drive. It is trivial to move the contents of the "ebooks" folder to the "documents" folder on the Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
wilsoncpu
wilsoncpu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Maybe it's the title

Others have mentioned this, but it bears repeating. If the title has odd characters in it, try renaming the file. I got "Whose Body?" by Dorothy Sayers, and the file was named "Sayers - Whose Body?.mobi". I deleted the troublesome copy on the Kindle using Content Manager; plugged the Kindle into my computer via the USB; renamed the file on the computer; copied the new version to the Kindle's SD card, and YAY, it all worked. YMMV, of course, but it's a chance.
wilsoncpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
appel846
appel846 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a bit of a different, yet related problem. My Kindle 2 will not keep it's pace when powered off AND on the page I'm currently reading. If I go to the home page while reading and power it completely off, it will go to my current page once I click on my book. I called support and they said that this is how the Kindle 2 is supposed to behave, although I have a friend with a K2 as well and hers will retain the latest page and upon power on, it will go to that page. Support also said that a K1 will do this, but a K2 is not supposed to. I wonder if they repackaged K1s and made them K2s...

I also tried to "synch to furthest page read"...and it will always to go page 1, regardless of what page I'm on. Anyone think like me, that this K2 has an issue?
appel846 is offline   Reply With Quote