Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Slava2014
Slava2014 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Android, Kindle
Question Child book - 1 picrure per page in landscape format

Hi,

I'm working on child book (1 picture per page) that is best viewed in landscape format.
Could you please help with below questions:

1. Is there any way to force readers to open it in landscape only format?
If it is not possible for all readers, is it possible for some like iPad (iBooks) and Kindle? Any special settings?

2. Would you recommend embedding little text into images (in Photoshop or similar) or use HTML+CSS to put text above image in certain locations?
Which is more compatible and better looking?
So far I intend to use 1st approach, but may be I don't know something?

3. Is it possible to make a epub without contents?

4. Last but not least - I plan to use some aggregator like www.bookbaby.com, is it ok or are there better solutions for price/quality of service?

Many thanks!
Slava2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved to Writers corner. This is not a Sigil question.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know about special settings but landscape format is basically sideways on the kindle ereader.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Yes, you can "force" various devices, specifically iBooks on the iPad, iPhone, AmazonKindle KF8 devices (Kindle Fire, Paperwhite, HDX models), KoboBooks, and NookKids' (caveats here) open only in landscape view. However,there's no simple, "upload a Word file" DIY-type method to make these books. (n.b.: there is "Kindle Kids Book Creator" software out now, that can take jpegs or a PDF and make a book that does this).

However, for the rest, you'll need some knowledge of HTML and CSS, and these books, called "fixed-format" aren't the simplest to make. For Amazon, to create Region Magnification (called pop-up text), which you need for the widest distribution, takes some pretty solid coding skills; you literally place each word using x-y coordinates.

Yes, you can make an ePUB with a table of contents, but not without an NCX.

Vis-à-vis aggregators: be advised, many if not all aggregators (with the exception of InDigital) will NOT accept Fixed-format books for distribution, particularly to Amazon. This is because distributors upload books via FTP, in a singular format (reflowable ePUB). Make sure you ask BookBaby.

With regard to B&N, please be advised that B&N does not accept "NookKids'" books from self-publishers; you have to have a publishing contract with them that specifically allows you to be a NookKids' publisher. The application starts with a section asking you to list your top 25-selling titles, and the volume of sales for each.

Hope that helps.

@Ducky: I think that this likely should have been moved to the Workshop, rather than the Writer's Corner, FWIW. It's more a techie issue than a writer's issue, IMHO.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
Slava2014
Slava2014 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Android, Kindle
Many thanks!

I do know HTML+CSS etc. (I'm an ex. programmer in a not so long past), actually it is my wife who is an artist, so I'm there is just a layout designer and publisher

Thanks for info about aggregators!
I don't understand what's wrong with fixed format books - why is it related to FTP file upload method?

Back to initial questions - so how exactly can I force iPad/Kindle etc. to display book in landscape in ePub?
Could you please direct me at a spec or tutorial or something? I'm not banned in Google, but failed to find this kind of info.
Alternatively, I can just put note on the cover page "Best viewed in landscape"...

Currently I'm using Sigil, but can switch to any other tool (I'll check "Kindle Kids Book Creator", thanks for the hint).

Last edited by Slava2014; 11-27-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Slava2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava2014 View Post
Many thanks!

I do know HTML+CSS etc. (I'm an ex. programmer in a not so long past), actually it is my wife who is an artist, so I'm there is just a layout designer and publisher

Thanks for info about aggregators!
I don't understand what's wrong with fixed format books - why is it related to FTP file upload method?
For one thing, for Amazon, it's not a FF ePUB, it's a FF MOBI--and the cover has to be sized (the catalog image) to precisely--and Imean, precisely--fit the book, or it corrupts the book. Distributors can't be bothered with that type of thing. There's no LITB (Look Inside the book); FF ePUB requires a special sample file be uploaded...it's a list of things, and compared to (no offense) the relatively minor sales in children's FF books, distributors don't want to do the extra work. Heck, most distributors now won't even take a client with under 5 books (those that have advanced distro privileges, I mean), because the overhead of the client interface burden isn't covered by their percentages/return.

Quote:
Back to initial questions - so how exactly can I force iPad/Kindle etc. to display book in landscape in ePub?
Could you please direct me at a spec or tutorial or something? I'm not banned in Google, but failed to find this kind of info.
Alternatively, I can just put note on the cover page "Best viewed in landscape"...
You could say "best viewed in landscape," but the result you get isn't going to be what you want. I don't know if there's any tutorial on making FF ePUBs out there--anyone here know? We (my shop) have moved to making ePUB3 FF ePUBs so that one ePUB can work for iBooks, Googleplay and KoboBooks, although, of course, it doesn't have the page-flip animation, now the page simply slides.

If you have audio/video/readalong/word highlight animation, that adds to it. If you sign up to be an iTunes Publisher, you can download the iBooks Asset Guide, which gives you all the code you'd need to create an ePUB3 FF book, although there will be some trial/error involved. (Natch).

There are also some Kindle/MOBI "templates" out there from a guy who calls himself Man2010--but honestly, I don't remember if they were simple, "slap your jpeg in here" templates, or if they included RM (Region Mag/pop-up text). You could also use the KKBC, and you CAN see the HTML in that, which would allow you to roll your own, if you see what I mean?

Quote:
Currently I'm using Sigil, but can switch to any other tool (I'll check "Kindle Kids Book Creator", thanks for the hint).
You can't really use Sigil for FF MOBI. I mean...sure, but if you're a nerd, you have other HTML editors like NoteTabPro or Epsilon or what-have-you that will work as well/better, for that. Ditto for ePUB3. I'm a big, big Sigil lover, but for this particular work, it's not the right tool for the job.

OH! I nearly forgot to add: I understand, but do not know first-hand, that you can now make both FF ePUB and MOBI with Jutoh. It's a $45 tool. For many DIY'ers, it's a great item. It's probably too rudimentary for you, to be honest, but I felt I should mention it.

Does that help?

Hitch
Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava2014 View Post
For fixed layout Kindle books, download the following:

1. Kindle Publishing Guidelines
2. Children’s book example and KF8 examples (lower right corner of the KF8 website)
3. Kindle Previewer/Kindlegen and Kindle Kids' Book Creator (upper right corner of the KF8 website)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
For fixed layout Kindle books, download the following:

1. Kindle Publishing Guidelines
2. Children’s book example and KF8 examples (lower right corner of the KF8 website)
3. Kindle Previewer/Kindlegen and Kindle Kids' Book Creator (upper right corner of the KF8 website)
n.b.: be careful when viewing the samples; at one point in time, they didn't work. I don't know if they've been updated or not. As I mentioned in my last, you can make some pages with KKBC, and then view the coding from there, to give you an updated view of what works versus what doesn't. Also, please note that you'll definitely need to tweak the KKBC coding, to get a more-refined look. BUT, I suspect, if you used it to make a base, and then regexed hither and yon, you could end up with a decent-enough product.

Hitch