Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #46
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I wonder if they knew anything about the holy icons. I know that, in recent years, icons have had some bit of popularity outside the Eastern Orthodox, but I doubt that many outside the EO know. I suspect that they were going with the definition of 'icon' as a pictorial representation of something.

As for latest and greatest phones, I'm still rolling with an ancient and crusty Razr flipper.

If Apple dropped prices to decent levels, that would amaze and astonish me. I'd actually look at an iPad. Despite the massive and manifold evils of iTunes.
Continuing the religious theme,

"Amen, Brother!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I wonder if they knew anything about the holy icons. I know that, in recent years, icons have had some bit of popularity outside the Eastern Orthodox, but I doubt that many outside the EO know. I suspect that they were going with the definition of 'icon' as a pictorial representation of something.
According to the OED, the earliest recorded use of the word "icon" to mean a representation or image of something dates back to 1565, whereas the religious meaning of the word to refer to a sacred image dates only from 1833.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
According to the OED, the earliest recorded use of the word "icon" to mean a representation or image of something dates back to 1565, whereas the religious meaning of the word to refer to a sacred image dates only from 1833.
And if I'm not mistaken the Greek word just means "image.". Nonetheless, I'd venture that most folks had only ever heard the term used with far more significance than a simple pictogram. Like a "cultural icon."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, exactly; it's from the Greek "eikon", the most common meaning of which is an image in the sense of a painting or a statue of someone or something. Until the 19th century the English word was most commonly spelt "ikon".

Last edited by HarryT; 06-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #50
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
It's not like in the history of human communication, words have ever been repurposed.
The word hasn't even been repurposed. An icon on a computer is still a pictorial representation of something. In this case, a program or an application.

I never said that the word needed to be restricted to the holy icons. I was simply saying that I didn't think that the people who chose to use the word "icon" stole it from the holy icons.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #51
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, exactly; it's from the Greek "eikon", the most common meaning of which is an image in the sense of a painting or a statue of someone or something. Until the 19th century the English word was most commonly spelt "ikon".
I thought I just made some clever connection between the camera brand "Nikon" and the word "ikon."
I thought "how clever of a camera company to make use of the Greek word for 'image' in their name! Why did never notice such an obvious thing before?!"

But, according to all the company history I can Google, "ikon" had nothing to do with it. Hm. It should have.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #52
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
But, according to all the company history I can Google, "ikon" had nothing to do with it. Hm. It should have.
I think it was camera maker Zeiss Ikon AG (as oppose to lens-maker Carl Zeiss Jena) who made that connection when choosing the name for the then-new company formed by the merger of four German camera companies in the 1920s...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #53
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I thought I just made some clever connection between the camera brand "Nikon" and the word "ikon."
I thought "how clever of a camera company to make use of the Greek word for 'image' in their name! Why did never notice such an obvious thing before?!"

Still, someone could claim it was at least a subconscious "stroke of genius."

Who hasn't been lauded for some detail, and smiled and said "why yes, that did work out well, didn't it?"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #54
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Still, someone could claim it was at least a subconscious "stroke of genius."

Who hasn't been lauded for some detail, and smiled and said "why yes, that did work out well, didn't it?"
That should be:

Who hasn't been lauded for some detail, and smiled and said "why yes, I am a genius, aren't I? A towering colossus amongst men. Feel free to bask in the glory, o lowly one, feel free to bask."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #55
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
I'm starting to think I'm the only guy in the world (aside from the primary designer of iOS 7) that actually liked the new design.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #56
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I can't wait to see how long it takes Apple to sue claiming they patented this new look that they stole from Google.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #57
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Apple managed to amaze me twice. Once with "you're holding it wrong!" and once by pushing the publishers to setup the agency system.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #58
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
I'm starting to think I'm the only guy in the world (aside from the primary designer of iOS 7) that actually liked the new design.
Naaa, you're probably one of the few people who doesn't want Apple to vanish AND is on Mobileread... and now I duck for cover...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #59
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I think the look is ok and it's good to see them opening the platform up a bit more. But overall I find it disappointing. They aren't really pushing the competition at all anymore. I'm not like some people and do not expect Apple to come out with something new and amazing every year. But iOS is pretty far behind at this point.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #60
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I think the look is ok and it's good to see them opening the platform up a bit more. But overall I find it disappointing. They aren't really pushing the competition at all anymore. I'm not like some people and do not expect Apple to come out with something new and amazing every year. But iOS is pretty far behind at this point.
???? I use both Android and iOS... like both, prefer iOS except on phone so pleaase enlighten as to the "pretty far behind..."
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote