Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
pmatch1104
Enthusiast
pmatch1104 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How do you turn off the automatic desktop icon download with update?

On my old laptop, I was able to check/uncheck something that stopped calibre from putting an icon on my desktop every time I installed an update. Since my old laptop crashed and I bought a new one that runs Windows 8.1, I haven't been able to find where to turn off the desktop icon download. I've looked all through Preferences but without success.

Does anyone remember how to turn off the desktop icon download?

Thanks in advance!
pmatch1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It should be a part of the installer options, when doing a reinstall it will re-ask you if you want to make a desktop shortcut.

You may need to delete the shortcut you already have, first.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the advanced button on the installer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
pmatch1104
Enthusiast

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I can't find the Advanced button when doing an update.

I didn't re-install calibre from the website on my new laptop. I copied the calibre folder over from my old hard drive to my new laptop so I would have to reload all my books. Now when I do an update, it keeps putting the desktop icon out there and I don't want that.

I'm not very techy (as you can tell) so detailed instructions on how to get back to the installer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you patience.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Copying over the library folder to retain your books should not affect the installation in any way.

There should be a button to enter advanced mode, while going through the panels displayed by the calibre-whatever-version.msi installer package.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatch1104 View Post
Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I can't find the Advanced button when doing an update.

I didn't re-install calibre from the website on my new laptop. I copied the calibre folder over from my old hard drive to my new laptop so I would have to reload all my books. Now when I do an update, it keeps putting the desktop icon out there and I don't want that.

I'm not very techy (as you can tell) so detailed instructions on how to get back to the installer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you patience.
You can fix it the next time you update calibre

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	135174

The setting you're after on the 2nd screen (first is location) it will persist.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
pmatch1104
Enthusiast

D'oh! OMG ... I feel so stupid.

Thank you very much. I was looking in Preferences instead of during an update.