Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #151
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
Hmm, I can send pull request I suppose...
Sure... if you tell me what pull requests actually are, how they work, and what I am supposed to do with them.

I already admitted in some other thread that I am quite an idiot concerning git. I do clearly see the benefits of a DVCS, but I just didn't gain any experience with it yet. Please enlighten me!

Quote:
I don't have 5.1.0 on my KT and don't plan to upgrade right now
Well, I guess that's pretty much what one would call a "No-Go". 5.1.0 is radically different in many aspects from the previous versions.

Quote:
(as upgrading might theoretically involve some de-bricking thus taking some more time than 15 minutes), so I won't be able to test the code completely...
That's actually pretty simple, if you're ok to start from scratch.

Quote:
and I always failed to make update.bin to install.
The workaround that I created has been working for me for everything I released so far. But I know it's not a real solution. Then again, the current solution works for everything that I personally need right now, so there is no urgent need from my (personal) perspective.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #152
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
You can safely remove the code to enable/disable refreshOnTurn from setorientation.sh as the new firmware does not lock after 6 pages refresh.
You could use the code from the original launcher 1.0 which doesn't need setorientation.sh at all.
Thanks for the hint. I'll take it into account for the next release. Until then, it doesn't seem to hurt and can trivially be disabled.
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JustAMan: You're welcome to try my KindleTool fork, if you're on a Linux box, it should (hopefully) work, and if it doesn't, I'll try to fix it . I haven't checked K4/K5 packages yet, but I've successfully built (and ran) my old K2/K3 stuff with it, so, either way, I'd be glad for some feedback .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-02-2012 at 09:31 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #154
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JustAMan: You're welcome to try my KindleTool fork, if you're on a Linux box, it should (hopefully) work, and if it doesn't, I'll try to fix it . I haven't checked K4/K5 packages yet, but I've successfully built (and ran) my old K2/K3 stuff with it, so, either way, I'd be glad for some feedback .
Thanks for taking the initiative! So, here you go with the feedback

I'm on Ubuntu 10.4.2 64-bit.

First: version.sh throws loads of errors because of "[[" syntax. I tried changing #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash, but that doesn't help either. So I replaced these double-brackets by single-brackets, and at least that stage goes through without errors. I'm attaching a diff, but please verify that the result is actually sensible. What is that "[[" thing about anyway?

Second: even after applying that, I get the following errors when running "make":

Code:
$ make

KT_VERSION = v0.5-9-g7db0dfa-dirty (GCC 4.4.3)
mkdir -p Release
gcc -Llib -Iincludes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native -pipe -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DKT_VERSION='"v0.5-9-g7db0dfa-dirty (GCC 4.4.3)"' -o Release/kindle_tool.o -c kindle_tool.c
gcc -Llib -Iincludes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native -pipe -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DKT_VERSION='"v0.5-9-g7db0dfa-dirty (GCC 4.4.3)"' -o Release/create.o -c create.c
create.c: In function ‘kindle_create_package_archive’:
create.c:119: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘archive_write_set_format_gnutar’
create.c:133: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘archive_read_disk_open’
create.c:188: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘archive_read_disk_descend’
create.c:247: warning: format ‘%lld’ expects type ‘long long int’, but argument 6 has type ‘__off_t’
create.c:352: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘archive_read_free’
create.c: In function ‘kindle_create_main’:
create.c:897: warning: format ‘%llu’ expects type ‘long long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘uint64_t’
create.c:897: warning: format ‘%llu’ expects type ‘long long unsigned int’, but argument 4 has type ‘uint64_t’
gcc -Llib -Iincludes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native -pipe -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DKT_VERSION='"v0.5-9-g7db0dfa-dirty (GCC 4.4.3)"' -o Release/convert.o -c convert.c
convert.c: In function ‘kindle_convert_ota_update_v2’:
convert.c:97: warning: format ‘%llu’ expects type ‘long long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘uint64_t’
convert.c:100: warning: format ‘%llu’ expects type ‘long long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘uint64_t’
convert.c: In function ‘libarchive_extract’:
convert.c:491: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘archive_read_free’
convert.c:493: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘archive_write_free’
gcc -Llib -Iincludes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native -pipe -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DKT_VERSION='"v0.5-9-g7db0dfa-dirty (GCC 4.4.3)"' -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed Release/kindle_tool.o Release/create.o Release/convert.o -lcrypto -larchive -oRelease/kindletool
Release/create.o: In function `kindle_create_package_archive':
create.c:(.text+0x4f6): undefined reference to `archive_write_set_format_gnutar'
create.c:(.text+0x560): undefined reference to `archive_read_disk_open'
create.c:(.text+0x6e8): undefined reference to `archive_read_disk_descend'
create.c:(.text+0x97f): undefined reference to `archive_read_disk_open'
create.c:(.text+0xa68): undefined reference to `archive_read_disk_descend'
create.c:(.text+0xc42): undefined reference to `archive_read_free'
Release/convert.o: In function `libarchive_extract':
convert.c:(.text+0x30e): undefined reference to `archive_read_free'
convert.c:(.text+0x320): undefined reference to `archive_write_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [kindletool] Fehler 1
I assume that this due to an older libarchive version or so?
Code:
$ apt-cache policy libarchive-dev

libarchive-dev:
  Installiert: 2.8.0-2ubuntu0.1
  Kandidat: 2.8.0-2ubuntu0.1
  Versions-Tabelle:
 *** 2.8.0-2ubuntu0.1 0
        500 http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.8.0-2 0
        500 http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
Searching online for "archive_write_set_format_gnutar" didn't give a lot of insight either.

Could you look into that please?
Attached Files
File Type: txt version.sh.diff.txt (1.5 KB, 259 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #155
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ubuntu Compile problems

The first /bin/sh and/or /bin/bash is the result of /bin/dash -
Say: "Thank You, Canonical"

Under 10.4 you may have to explicitly install bash (apt-get install bash).

It is certainly the /bin/sh problem (linked to /bin/dash) and from your report, I would say that your 10.4 also has /bin/bash linked to /bin/dash.

- - - -

The "warning implicate defination..." errors come from one or more missing header files.

"gcc -E " might give you some help in spotting the missing header(s).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And a quick reference to the extended test __keyword__:
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/testconstructs.html
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #157
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The first /bin/sh and/or /bin/bash is the result of /bin/dash -
Say: "Thank You, Canonical"

Under 10.4 you may have to explicitly install bash (apt-get install bash).

It is certainly the /bin/sh problem (linked to /bin/dash) and from your report, I would say that your 10.4 also has /bin/bash linked to /bin/dash.
Nope.
I'm aware of Ubuntu's "dash initiative", or whatever you want to call it, and I don't fully understand it either. But in any case, if at all, it was only ever advocated as a replacement for sh, not for bash.

Code:
~$ ls -la `which sh`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2010-11-17 21:41 /bin/sh -> dash
~$ ls -la `which bash`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 934336 2010-04-19 04:16 /bin/bash
... and about the header files: technically, I know why gcc is complaining. But I'm trying to figure out how to make NiLuJe's version work on an Ubuntu LTS release.

PS: I keep misspelling NiLuJe's username. Everytime. Sorry...

Last edited by ixtab; 05-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #158
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: Huh, I've been using double brackets tests for a good while, never thought there'd be such an issue, I knew it wasn't the most portable syntax, but still... Will keep it in mind in the future .

As for the libarchive stuff, yep, apparently some stuff, most notably a good part of the the *disk stuff was added in libarchive 3... I'll make that more clear in the readme, and kill some useless ifdef I had for some other libarchive 2 stuff . (FYI, that's also most likely the cause of the implicit declaration warnings).

Also, what in the hell is happening with the LFS handling on Ubuntu? All those lli arg type mismatch warnings should not be here with the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS define, especially on an amd64 system, where it should be the default anyway, so I'll look into that as well...

EDIT: Well, the first one at least, stat/lstat should be pulling *stat64 symbols, not *stat, and that should be an __off64_t... What does your features/stdio header files look like, and what would seem to be needed to get proper LFS support?

EDIT²: Oops, my bad, don't bother, I can (of course) reproduce this on my amd64 box... That'll teach me to try to understand/explain stuff while slightly drunk .

Thanks for the feedback .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-06-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #159
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What is that "[[" thing about anyway?
The double bracket is an implicit (built into the shell) test, whereas "test" and "[" are external programs that get loaded from the search path. I use double brackets too. They even work in all the kindles.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #160
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Ah, thanks geekmaster, I indeed dimly remember starting using double brackets everywhere to save some forks .

On another note, the type mismatch warnings should now be fixed on x86_64 .

(And I'm building against libarchive-3.0.3 or 3.0.4 here, and the first 3.x release is only 6 months old, huh).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-06-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #161
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
(And I'm building against libarchive-3.0.3 or 3.0.4 here, and the first 3.x release is only 6 months old, huh).
A recurring problem for a person preparing software to be used by an undefined collection of developers.

For projects too small for a build system or even for a configure script (which could either supply or at least test for required version dependencies)...

My personal policy is to try to stay compatible with the "oldest, common, stable" development environment likely to be encountered.
I.E: The oldest Debian or Ubuntu release still "actively supported".

This problem report was from a user of Ubuntu LTS 10.4 which is a fairly old software version environment in the Linux world but still "actively supported".

How the "small project developer" chooses to deal with the situation is up to them, I only offered my choice as one example.

I also think that this comment applies here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=42
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #162
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And a quick reference to the extended test __keyword__:
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/testconstructs.html
The linked page says that "[[" is a keyword, but "[" is a built-in command. To clarify: the kindles use busybox, and although /bin contains symlinks that point to busybox, it appears that they are only used if you launch a non-busybox shell. Busybox does NOT follow the search path for commands that it has built-in, even if symlinks are provided. Replacing /bin symlinks to point to different programs only works from within a different shell (like a "real" bash).
Quote:
Ah, thanks geekmaster, I indeed dimly remember starting using double brackets everywhere to save some forks
In the case of the kindles, using the "[[" keyword instead of the "[" implicit command may well save a process fork (another instance of busybox), but if busybox is already cached, either way should be reasonable fast (you are running interpreted scripting code after all...), but I think that there were OTHER benefits to using "[[" as I recall (enough to convince me to use the extra characters when I normally use the shortest commands to fit more on a line, but I do not remember the detals).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-06-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #163
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So, in the case of the kindles, using the "[[" keyword instead of the "[" implicit command may well save a process fork (another instance of busybox), but if busybox is already cached, either way should be reasonable fast (you are running interpreted scripting code after all...)
Which is also why the "[[" is found to work across all kindles - they are all Busybox which supports that syntax since about the same time (2002) Bash adopted it from ksh88.

The problem in this thread came about from off-kindle builds using something other than Bash (specifically here, sh is linked to dash rather than bash).

Developers here just need to know that sometimes they have to populate a chroot or linux-vserver instance with the things a development script expects. (I.E: Not everything "sh" will work under "dash" and not everything Bash-3 will work under Bash-4.)

Hmm... Where did I put my Linux Poker link?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #164
geekmaster

Quote:
The problem in this thread came about from off-kindle builds using something other than Bash (specifically here, sh is linked to dash rather than bash).

Developers here just need to know that sometimes they have to populate a chroot or linux-vserver instance with the things a development script expects. (I.E: Not everything "sh" will work under "dash" and not everything Bash-3 will work under Bash-4.)
My linux mint (ubuntu-based) host PC even has a /mnt/us populated with some arm-linux SDL stuff from before I switched to using raw framebuffer and input devices.
Quote:
Hmm... Where did I put my Linux Poker link?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2067111

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #165
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Could you post a binary for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
You can safely remove the code to enable/disable refreshOnTurn from setorientation.sh as the new firmware does not lock after 6 pages refresh.
You could use the code from the original launcher 1.0 which doesn't need setorientation.sh at all.
I see this was committed a couple of days ago into to git Could you post a binary for this, ixtab?
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks