Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
AZBookworm
AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Color vs. Black/White

Are the color readers truly readers? OR are they more like 'tablets'? From what I can find out the Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox, and Nook tablet are all color'd devices but also LCD. Right?

I guess it goes to the LCD vs eInk eye strain question.

If newspapers have added color, will the future eInk also develop color? OR are we doomed to LCD in the future?
AZBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^We are only doomed to LCD in the future if we as consumers choose to doom ourselves. There's nothing wrong with a well-done grey-scale image. Future e-ink may develop colour, but I'm not sure for reading a novel it buys me anything.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have a Nook Color and have not suffered from eyestrain.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have a nook color and numerous eInk readers. Each one serves a purpose and has a use.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have a nook color and numerous eInk readers. Each one serves a purpose and has a use. Don
Exactly - in my case, I only use, and want to use, my readers to read text, few of which have or need images.
So I am happy with a b & w , or is it grey-scale, device.

The extra cost of colour would not be justified for me, nor would it add to my enjoyment - but for those who, for example, read comics, and are happy to read them on a reader rather than in phys-book, or I suppose, a pad etc... will presumably drive the market.
(But I can't imagine it's as satisfactory as the phys-book.....)

Last edited by carpetmojo; 11-10-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Missed a bit
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBookworm View Post
Are the color readers truly readers? OR are they more like 'tablets'? From what I can find out the Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox, and Nook tablet are all color'd devices but also LCD. Right?

I guess it goes to the LCD vs eInk eye strain question.

If newspapers have added color, will the future eInk also develop color? OR are we doomed to LCD in the future?
There are some folks that due suffer eInk vs LCD eye strain, me personally I've never felt it.

For me the real difference between the two is where you plan to read. If it's in a well lit area like outside, eInk is the way to go.

If you plan to read indoors and at night with poor lighting, LCD is the best solution.

Some folks find a lamp to be enough lighting for eInk, but the glare of the eInk was too much for me an too distracting.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
laitsabr
Daily Learner
laitsabr doesn't litterlaitsabr doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, 350, 300, 600(sold), 505(dead), Coby 7024
For me, the matter is not so much between color and b&w, but rather a dedicated reader and a multi-function device. It so happens that multi-function devices today are mainly in color (or vice versa?).
I read on my color tablet only when my e-ink reader is not within reach. Never read on the tablet long enough to feel any strain. I read for hours on my reader, and the only strain felt is by my kids and wife who have been abandoned meanwhile... ;-)
laitsabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've used my Nook Color quite extensively and never had any issues with eye strain or anything like it.

I don't believe that we'll see eInk going away any time soon. At least, I hope it doesn't.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBookworm View Post
Are the color readers truly readers? ...
There is a bit of a terminology problem with the question.

Using "tablet" to mean a general purpose computer in the now common tablet or slab form factor and "reader" to mean a device dedicated to being an ebook readers with only some very limited other functions then:

No, today's color ereaders are not tablets. The underlying hardware and software of all modern ereaders are very little different from from that found in the tablets currently on the market. The underlying OSs in most modern devices are UNIX derivitives, either iOS, Linux, or Android. Android is generally found only in color devices but Sony has gone that route with its newest eInk dedicated ereader.

At present, all color devices available on the market, whether ereaders or tablets, use some form of self illuminated (LED) or rear illuminated (LCD with LED or fluorescent backlight) display. Most B&W devices use the purely reflective paper-like eInk displays though there are a few older style devices still using reflective LCD displays.

Color eInk displays are being developed and have been shown publically; they are still "not ready for prime-time".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I like being able to see covers and the occasional illustration in color, but what I love most about having a backlit LCD screen on my Aluratek Libre Color is that I can read without turning up the lights or fussing with a clip-on light--even at the lowest brightness setting.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Since I only have a Kindle at the moment, I'm going to have to base my opnions on trying to read off LCD screen on my laptop.

For novels, or anything with long blocks of text, I prefer e-ink. It allows me to read like a do with a book, in long marathon session. I find that with LCD screens, I just can't seem to do that.

On the other hand for things where I'm only reading in short bursts, comic books, most magazine articles, internet forums, etc. LCD screens work just fine and the ability to display color images is a plus.

I do have to admit a fondness for the way images look on my Kindle Screen. On certain pictures, they almost have an ink wash look like those of 1970's era Warren Comics.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have no trouble reading either LCD or E-ink.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I'm in no big hurry to get a color e-reader, so I hope they take as much time to perfect the the things. The gray scale seems to be easier on the eyes anyhoo. I can read longer!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
It all comes down to pixels per inch. At a high enough resolution, LCD is perfectly comfortable for reading (though I do recommend reading white-on-black rather than the usual black-on-white). Most people are most familiar with reading on their 100ppi or less PC monitors or their 132ppi iPads, both of which are painful. At least for me, anything above 150-160ppi is comfortable and causes no eye strain. I read almost exclusively on my old iPhone 3GS (320x480 3.5" screen, which is around 165ppi) and now on HTC HD7S (480x800 4.3" screen, or around 212ppi). For people who find phones too small, the Nook Color's 1024x600 7" screen (170ppi) is still above the comfort minimum.

Just from my own empirical experience, I ignore any "backlights give me headaches" arguments. There are other complaints that can be leveraged against LCD screens if you really want to hate on them (battery life, low ppi at higher screen sizes, small screens on phones, they're often multi-function devices that provide too many distractions away from reading like checking MyFaceSpace or playing Angry Birds, etc), there's no need to make up headache concerns.

Or maybe everybody's really complaining about iOS iBooks which still does not have a proper night/white-on-black reading mode.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #15
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Everyone seems to be comparing e-ink against backlit LCD as if the are the only choices here.

The jetbook used a transflective b&w LCD screen that was sunlight readable and colour transflective screens exist (although I have not seen them in a tablet or reader Garmin are using a 65k colour transflective screen in their new range of hiking sat-navs - 176x220 pixels on a 2.2" screen so a decent resoloution).
So you get a good battery life (no backlight to power) with full sunlight readability - I'm still waiting for someone to release one.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote