Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #31
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think this is probably the survey she is talking about. Note that it doesn't seem to make any distinction at all that the iPAD is a tablet and not an eReader. 3/4 iPAD users were very satisfied with the device and a little over 1/2 of Kindle users. But when you group the top 2 categories together "Very Satisfied" and "Somewhat Satisfied" they are about neck and neck. Nearly everybody is satisfied and hardly anybody is unsatisfied with either device.

Oh, and Kindle owners were more likely to use their Kindle to read books. iPAD owners read magazines, newspapers and blogs. Ya think?!!!!! Further, the sky is blue. (okay, I made that part up - it really isn't in there)

http://www.investorplace.com/2010/11...reader-market/
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #32
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It helps to actually see the survey:
http://www.investorplace.com/2010/11...reader-market/

92% of Kindle owners were somewhat or very satisfied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I think this is probably the survey she is talking about. Note that it doesn't seem to make any distinction at all that the iPAD is a tablet and not an eReader. 3/4 iPAD users were very satisfied with the device and a little over 1/2 of Kindle users. But when you group the top 2 categories together "Very Satisfied" and "Somewhat Satisfied" they are about neck and neck. Nearly everybody is satisfied and hardly anybody is unsatisfied with either device.
I did read the survey, but I'm still surprised by the result. I know that it can be interpreted as satisfaction with the device in general, but the title of the survey is "Impact of the Apple iPad vs. the Amazon Kindle on the e-Reader Market", so it should be related to ereader capabilities in the way in which the article from the OP implies. This would mean that the ipad owners that were interviewed were not random owners, but owners that also use it as an ereader.

And on the subject of "Very Satisfied" vs. "Somewhat Satisfied", I think that the "Somewhat Satisfied" one is better for the manufacturer in the long run, because there is a higher chance of the owner getting another device when better ones come on the market.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
From the article:
Quote:
As with other Amazon departments, the customer service aspect of its Kindle department is limited to non-existent.
This is bull. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Amazon in general, and with Kindle in particular. When I contacted them and told them that I broke my Kindle due to my own carelessness (it dropped off a desk onto linoleum covered concrete), I was told it was considered normal usage and I was sent a free replacement within 24 hours. I'm not saying that other companies don't provide great service (they may, I don't know), but I can personally attest to the fact that Amazon's customer service is far from "limited to non-existent."

That article smells like a plant.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #34
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I was just browsing and was pleasantly surprised with the positive Amazon feedback. I haven't had to deal with their CS. Just to open accounts for selling books. They seem to be on the ball and reading these comments makes me happy knowing they'll look after my boss' book enquiries as well. Because that will keep me in a job.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #35
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This probably constitutes piling on at this point, but my Kindle screen froze recently. I sent Amazon some email, they called back, ran me through some diagnostics and then offered to send a new Kindle via two-day shipping. The whole transaction was completely hassle-free, and really a model of excellent customer service.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My mothers kindle was replaced in 24 hours from Texas to Canada after I got the right customer service person on the phone.
It did take 9 days from my first call though.
Steps to go through to determine problem, then they told me they would ship it and I waited 7 days before calling back and the first ship order was never entered. (Also had to go through diagnostic stuff again)

Still I was overall pleased with the result and my mother was thrilled.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #37
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That article smells like a plant.
Or at the very least like certain bovine byproducts used to fertilize plants!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Or at the very least like certain bovine byproducts used to fertilize plants!
Exactly!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #39
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Amazon's customer service was superb when I needed it. They replaced my K3, sent through international priority shipping, free of all charges and taxes (even the huge duties on imported goods).

No other retailer has ever come even close to this...
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #40
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
It's only good if you talk to them on the phone. If you use email, it's pretty much completely worthless.
Nah, that's not true. I emailed them and my issue was fixed within 24hours.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #41
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I've had excellent customer service from Amazon, both via email and telephone.

When I first got my Kindle, the 3G signal was variable—at times weak and other times nonexistent. I called them on Thanksgiving Day, and the CS agent talked with me at great length in an attempt to troubleshoot the problem. After getting the necessary information, he passed the data along to their technical department. Two days later, 3G was coming through strong and has been fine ever since.

I've emailed them about several other things, and the responses were helpful and quick. I know that if the device fails, they will take care of the problem. No complaints here!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've only dealt with Amazon customer service once regarding my Kindle. I was so surprised that they called me in Australia within 10 minutes of submitting my request, that I nearly fell off my chair.

Now - the service wasn't so great in that my problem wasn't really fixed. He led me through a factory reset which certainly restored normal functionality, but really didn't establish the root cause (and emptied my Kindle of content). However, I established with the help of forums that what I likely experienced was indexing issues and now I just look out for that issue and correct it myself.

I don't personally own an Apple product, but I know quite a few people who own one or more items and they have unanimously appreciated the customer service when it was needed. It's been enough for me to be pretty sure of the quality of their service regardless of any other opinions I have about their products.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #43
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
After the screen on my husband’s Kindle suddenly froze, he went in search of customer service on Amazon.com. As anyone who has gone on a similar quest can attest, it is not easy to find. The Kindle Support page simply told him to check his warranty, which had expired the previous week. His only option, it seemed, was to buy a new one

Read more: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...#ixzz1W0V1PQi7

Absolute bunk. The screen on my Kindle just went out and I requested customer support call me. Which they did within 10 seconds. And within 5 minutes of speaking to the rep a new Kindle was on its way. Free of charge.

I'm sure everyones experience is different but this looks like the author went out of her way to smear Amazon and praise Apple.
You really ought to quote the first part of your post. For a second I couldn't understand whether you thought the Kindle had crap service or whether you thought it was bunk!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #44
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wink Ummm................

Think there's any chance they could take over Sony Support training ?

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Think there's any chance they could take over Sony Support training ?

Based on my experience with both of them, Sony could certainly use a few lessons in this area, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote