Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
A new Book Club Grand Poobah

I have been "running" the book club since Joann and I had the idea to read the same book together each month and then discuss it. This idea turned into the Mobile Read Book Club and I have been creating the nomination, poll and discussion threads for it since December 2008.

It was fun and I had a good time in all the nomination threads and discussions.

However, it is time to pass the baton to a new Grand Poohbah. I have handed the keys to the executive washroom over to:

WT Sharpe...

He will pick up where I left off by creating the discussion thread for this month and the nomination thread for next month.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the kind words and encouragement you have given me over my tenure, especially thanks to Dreams who has handled the nomination enumerations for many of the recent months.

I will still be reading the threads though, so don't think you are all rid of me that easily.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
BOb, thanks for running the book club. You did a fantastic job.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you PilotBob for being an awesome Book Club Grand Poobah! I am glad that you will be staying with us as a participant, and will get to actually enjoy the books.

Also, congratulations to WT Sharpe! I am sure he will make an excellent new Book Club Grand Poobah!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for your efforts, Bob! Tom has big shoes to fill.

And Tom, congrats and good luck!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Thanks and congratz.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
for the short time that i have participated i've appreciated everything you have done.
thanks for running the book club.

congrats to WT Sharpe as well.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Thank you Pilotbob for keeping the monthly book club organized and running. I certainly appreciate WTSharpe's willingness to take on the effort in the future.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Does this mean all future selections will have to be approved by Norton?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Does this mean all future selections will have to be approved by Norton?
No, but in 2012 December's selection will be replaced by a discussion entitled "Your Favorite Golden Age/Silver Age comic," and the other 11 months will all be ukulele-themed.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
... and the other 11 months will all be ukulele-themed.
Oh, good! As long as you don't make any outrageous changes. Ukulele's will be fine.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, but in 2012 December's selection will be replaced by a discussion entitled "Your Favorite Golden Age/Silver Age comic," and the other 11 months will all be ukulele-themed.
Can we have accordions too?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So does this mean we can dump the extra class now that we know you voted against it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So does this mean we can dump the extra class now that we know you voted against it?
That wouldn't be fair Jon, as so many others voted for it. It just means you have a few extra "read whatever you want" months.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
That wouldn't be fair Jon, as so many others voted for it. It just means you have a few extra "read whatever you want" months.
I know we had a vote. But I think we should have another vote to replace that vote. To be honest, it was supposed to be a vote about do you want a 2nd classic month or not. Not do you or don't you or don't you care. The third option should not have been there and because of that, I think we should have a fixer upper vote to fix that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know we had a vote. But I think we should have another vote to replace that vote. To be honest, it was supposed to be a vote about do you want a 2nd classic month or not. Not do you or don't you or don't you care. The third option should not have been there and because of that, I think we should have a fixer upper vote to fix that.
It sounds like sour grapes to me. You know I want a change as much as you do, and I understand what you're saying, but those who voted "I don't care" could have just as easily not voted at all. I think doing another vote would be wrong and unethical. We can always revisit this in another year - well year and a half for 2013, since I'd say that this vote covers 2012. Don't harp on the negative. We're all here for the joy of reading & community...for me that includes reading books of which I've never heard or I would have normally ignored.