Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't logout of the desktop software so the books don't disappear. What you see in the desktop software is what is on the Kobo server, that is what is referenced when you sign-in. It syncs with the server, rather than looking at the kepub directory on your computer, thus the download. No sign-in, no connection to the server.

This is also why you only see your Kobo books in the desktop software. Those are the only books stored on the Kobo servers.

I may have misunderstood your question, if so, well, I'd be willing to try again.

v
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #32
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
do you have any problems sideloading Epubs?
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #33
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't logout of the desktop software so the books don't disappear. What you see in the desktop software is what is on the Kobo server, that is what is referenced when you sign-in. It syncs with the server, rather than looking at the kepub directory on your computer, thus the download. No sign-in, no connection to the server.
Hm. So is this why the software looks as if it's uploading every single book in the library when it syncs with my Sony reader, even though that's not the case?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #34
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

This is also why you only see your Kobo books in the desktop software. Those are the only books stored on the Kobo servers.

I may have misunderstood your question, if so, well, I'd be willing to try again.

v
Thats all fine and dandy that they keep the books on the server.. but it takes bandwidth to download them again. So if you log out and it deletes your books you have to download them. not everyone such as your self will stay logged in. But the other part of the question and the more heavy waited one is if you have 1000 ebooks for example and 20 percent are kobo those are listed. The other 80 percent are not listed in your kobo desktop... (ignnore side loading, calibre etc.) and you can not view them on your computer or sync them to your desktop or iphone...

What i think is that the desktop software should have 100 percent access to your books KOBO Bought or not... And that it should handle all your ebooks no matter what..

So if you have 1000 books then those books go to the desktop and kobo reader.. I kinda understand why kobo deletes the books but honestly it makes logical sense to do that. Any way just a major brain fart i guess on how they could improve it if they wanted.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #35
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no idea if that could be done. I don't even know if Kobo would be "legal" if they were to have copies of books you bought at Sony, for example, on their servers and then syncing on other devices without regard to any restriction the seller may have placed on books purchased from them.
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #36
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no idea if that could be done. I don't even know if Kobo would be "legal" if they were to have copies of books you bought at Sony, for example, on their servers and then syncing on other devices without regard to any restriction the seller may have placed on books purchased from them.
who said anything about their servers.. any books you load would be on your desktop your computer. Why would you need to send your books again. A hard copy should always be downloaded permently to your computer not downloaded and erased every time you log in or out. again that just consumes limited bandwidth..

regards

jack
Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Hm. So is this why the software looks as if it's uploading every single book in the library when it syncs with my Sony reader, even though that's not the case?
well it seems to me if you log out of your software your books should stay on your computer.. not be deleted. that just means you have to download them to your desktop agian and again. which just eats your bandwidth
a complete waste of things.. and why cant you take your collection and load it into your desktop software it makes sense to do this it makes no logical sense for kobo to restrict it.

regards

jack
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #38
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman2523 View Post
do you have any problems sideloading Epubs?
sideloading is not the issue.. the issue is when you log out of your desktop software it deletes your books and re downloads them every time you log back in. plus you cant transfer your other books in your collection to your desktop software. Its not a logical limitation at all.

regards

jack
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #39
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
the issue is when you log out of your desktop software it deletes your books and re downloads them every time you log back in.
I found this hard to believe but of course you are right. When you log out, it deletes the library from the computer; log back in, and it re-downloads.

Since you can log in from any computer, you could end up with multiple copies of the your library which would mess up licensing rules.

I don't recall logging out before because I always use the same computer when I want to use the desktop software. Why not stay logged in? Hitting the "sync" button doesn't invoke a full download in that mode, just checks for changes.

At least Kobo is very clear when you try to log out what the consequence will be. I have about 100 Kobo books in my library so, yes, it does take some time.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
who said anything about their servers..

regards

jack
Urmmm, what was that whole sync everything with your iPhone if that wasn't about Kobo servers? I'm done here, but if you want to read everything on your desktop, one solution is to use Calibre for everything. I don't use my desktop application at all (well the setup for Touch required it), and have not since I got comfortable with the WiFi Kobo.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #41
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
well it seems to me if you log out of your software your books should stay on your computer.. not be deleted. that just means you have to download them to your desktop agian and again. which just eats your bandwidth
a complete waste of things.. and why cant you take your collection and load it into your desktop software it makes sense to do this it makes no logical sense for kobo to restrict it.
I'm afraid you've lost me. How does this answer my question?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #42
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Probably not... but Kobo books that are already on my Sony reader still show as "downloading" when I sync with the reader. In reality though, only books that are not only on the reader actually get moved to it.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #43
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I'm afraid you've lost me. How does this answer my question?
Guess it doesnt..

sorry about being confusing... my bad

jack
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #44
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've been doing some looking and as far as I can tell, when you logout, the desktop does NOT delete the content; it all seems to still be present (at least this is with 1.9). You can't SEE the books but the actual files are still there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #45
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
There are definitely some problems with the new Desktop software and the Kobo Touch. On my WinXP SP3 desktop computer it keeps losing connection with both the Kobo Touch plugged in via USB and with the Kobo web service.

On the internet side I'm getting tired of seeing it freeze with the message that I need an internet connection to use Kobo Desktop while it is in the middle of an internet operation. My cable internet connection is rock solid and fast, so the problem is either a bug in the Desktop software or with Kobo's overloaded servers. In the latter case the software should say something sensible like "Lost connection with Kobobooks - retrying" instead of locking up with an incorrect error message and needing to be ended from the task manager.

It also keeps telling me that the Kobo Touch has been disconnected, which it hasn't - it's still connected and visible in Windows. It's plugged directly into the USB port with its own cable, and the USB port on the computer has never had a problem with any other device. The USB connection between the Kobo Touch and Windows for direct access seems solid, so I'm assuming that the problem is with the Desktop software.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote