Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
WARNING about new firmware version 1.4

Although this firmware upgrade fixes the font size issue, it introduces a whole new "feature", that the Kobo will switch itself completely off after a short period of inactivity (30 minutes). Thus whenever you go back to it you will have to power on, which takes a good while.

The upgrade doesn't warn you that this is going to happen. It would have been nice to have been told, as I honestly preferred my Kobo before.

At least you know now... so you can choose whether to upgrade...

Last edited by kiwikobo; 07-03-2010 at 01:42 AM.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
It's because we wouldn't stop whining about battery life...
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Please define, "short period." A minute? Two? Five?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Kobo told us they would add a "Sleep Mode." If you have left your device inactive for more than 5 minutes, it will go to sleep. "This is helpful in managing battery life, and it’s also a behavior that people have come to expect." - from the kobo blog.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

15 min
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you just leave your Kobo "ON" like before it remains on. EDIT: Sorry this is wrong it will go to sleep.

If you tap the power button it will got to "SLEEP" which locks the buttons but provides instant on.

The unit will stay in "SLEEP" mode for a maximum of 15 min before shutting down completely.

Last edited by Turt99; 07-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

I think there was a misunderstanding between the developers and the sales within kobo !!!

If I put the kobo in sleep mode knowing it will shutdown in 15 minutes, why I'd put it in sleep mode?
to sleep, means "SLEEP", none sleeps for just 15 minutes, what one expects is: go to sleep, and I'll wake you up tomorrow;
but for kobo: go to sleep, and it will "die" after a while, and can't be "waken up" tomorrow!

Stupid developer!

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
I think there was a misunderstanding between the developers and the sales within kobo !!!

If I put the kobo in sleep mode knowing it will shutdown in 15 minutes, why I'd put it in sleep mode?
to sleep, means "SLEEP", none sleeps for just 15 minutes, what one expects is: go to sleep, and I'll wake you up tomorrow;
but for kobo: go to sleep, and it will "die" after a while, and can't be "waken up" tomorrow!

Stupid developer!

clap clap clap

it's incomprehensible why they did those things....
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybraga View Post
clap clap clap

it's incomprehensible why they did those things....
Hmmm....really? Strong sentiments. I disagree.

My PVR that is attached to my flat panel, will go into sleep mode after a number of hours of inactivity. A message flashes that it will go into sleep mode and turn the TV off unless I press a button.

Really just leave your Kobo on and don't put it into sleep mode. It really doesn't take all that long to boot up. Type "A"s are great in rush hour too..chill out guys!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
My mobile phone only takes 30 sec to boot too, and I'd be annoyed if I had to switch it on every time I wanted to make a call because it had switched off after 15 min of standby.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
My mobile phone only takes 30 sec to boot too, and I'd be annoyed if I had to switch it on every time I wanted to make a call because it had switched off after 15 min of standby.
hmmm...Your phone must be tuned by wireless company!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think the "sleep" mode to shut down solution was a patch for the known issues with battery life. It certainly doesn't seem ideal, but it provides a solution before they fix the real problem. It it sort of like "hiding" the 100 free books while they figure how they can actually allow you to remove them.

Like I said previously, I am very impressed with the update, as it does fix all of the problems I had previously. However, I am extremely disappointed in the sleep mode solution for battery conservation. I know I wasn't getting anywhere near 8,000 page turns but that didn't bother me at all. I am used to charging my Blackberry daily even if I don't use it much on any particular day. Quite frankly, charging my Kobo once a week or so, under normal use, is still great in my mind regardless of how many page turns each charge yields.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

I tend to agree with fred_yu_job. What purpose does the 'Sleep' mode really serve if the Kobo will turn off in 15 minutes.

If I know I'm coming back to the Kobo within 15 minutes I'd just leave it on. If I'm not back in 15 minutes go to sleep Kobo - that would make sense. The 'Sleep' mode seems completely pointless to me. Turning off should be a user option not a default, preferably with a user set time-out.

I miss the cover picture - it was what made the Kobo a Kobo - please bring it back.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #14
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I think the "sleep" mode to shut down solution was a patch for the known issues with battery life.
But it obviously wasn't, because some users were reporting no problems with battery life. I've only ever had one instance of running out of battery and I leave it on, by the bed, day after day (and read for a considerable time each night).

Some users have reported serious battery problems, such as not even being able to get through one book without a recharge, but this is obviously not a problem that applies to all Kobos, just some of them.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I think the "sleep" mode to shut down solution was a patch for the known issues with battery life.
I agree. But I think it's a very poor "solution".

This is my take on it:

Kobo realised that a large number of units were experiencing very fast battery drain if they were left on. They couldn't pinpoint why this was happening, so to "fix" the problem they decided to automatically power down the Reader after 15 minutes inactivity.

I can't think of any other reason they would have taken such a heavy handed approach to conserving battery life.

Personally I'm Ok with that. I always power my Kobo Reader off when I'm not using it anyway. But I think it is disappointing that Kobo don't seem to have actually fixed the poor battery life issues at all. They just implemented a shonky workaround.

Now, I could be completely wrong. Perhaps Kobo have made other changes in the firmware update that improve battery consumption, but the only new battery saving feature I've seen advertised by Kobo is the auto-shutdown "feature".
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote