Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #10636
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Really? I was hoping it was a collection of "read anytime" bonus stories, not chronological. I am enjoying Storm Front; I'm about 60% done (give or take).
$12.99 is a bit steep, but I may just break down and buy Side Jobs, anyway.
the stories are all preceded by where it falls in the dresden time-line. this one's called 'a restoration of faith' and introduces you to harry first meeting a main character in all the books and to another character who appears briefly much later in the series (ghost story), and of course you get an introduction to 'snarky', 'do the right thing no matter what the personal cost might be', harry.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #10637
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ring of Fire III by Eric Flint
Another good collection of stories in the 1632 universe. And I'm actually completely caught op on 1632 happenings, I think.

Next: Fledgling by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

A novel set in their Liaden universe. I subscribed to this when it was an on-line subscription serial, so it will be interesting to see how it's cleaned up, along with the subsequent volume, Saltation, which I'll read immediately afterwards.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #10638
dpardoew
dpardoew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Good book, supposed a Paranormal Romance, but much more.

I like to to read aloud to a younger person, who likes books about the paranormal or supernatural, whatever you call it. A new ebook by an apparently new author, is Sinister Clarity, which I got from http://TJWythes.com/. It presents itself as a paranormal romance novel, probably aimed at older teens or young adults, but has some interesting discussions in it, about why there probably are people with paranormal abilities in the real world. I'm almost convinced. The book is written in the first person, by an 18 year old telepathic girl. There is a good vs. evil plot with some unusual twists, but what I enjoyed was hearing about was her rational/scientific friend. They have amusing arguments as her friend tries to explain what she considers impossible. That's the subtext. The real plot is about this telepathic girl finding love, then being captured by a unique kind of villain. A good book. I enjoyed it myself, and the person I read to was delighted by it.
dpardoew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #10639
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Way Station by Clifford Simak. Very nice book. The descriptions were precise and yet not overdone or exaggerated. I felt I was really there in Wisconsin. The story was poignant and thoughtful. I spent a few minutes meditating afterwards. Solid "B" or 4 stars.

Next is another classic: The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #10640
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished "Jamrach's Menagerie" by Carol Birch - a wondrous tale that begins in Dickensian London, travels in the wake of Melville's ocean tragedy, with a dash of Conrad, and ends in almost a Woolfian rhapsody on life and the sea. Add doses of natural history and Darwinian musings. A bit of Ancient Mariner. An unclassifiable yet unforgettable yarn.

Highly recommended!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #10641
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
I just started Lumen by Ben Pastor. It's historical mystery/crime: An American priest from Chicago and a German army captain investigate a nun's death in Nazi-occupied Poland in 1939. Good stuff so far.

Last edited by Steve Anderson; 08-28-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #10642
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone

Next is another classic: [I
The Day of the Triffids[/I] by John Wyndham.
When I reread Wyndham as an older adult, having been a huge fan in my teens and early twenties, I was struck by the politics of the period, the cold war and reds under the bed paranoia. I hadn't even noticed the first time round. They're great stories though.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #10643
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Just started Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson. Great first chapter!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #10644
STrucks
STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm currently making my way through the Hap Collins & Leonard Pine series by Joe R. Lansdale. I'm about to finish the 2nd book, Mucho Mojo and start on Two Bear Mambo.
STrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #10645
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Just started Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson. Great first chapter!
I read that a couple weeks back, I rarely read science fiction but that book was pretty good.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #10646
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Finished Way Station by Clifford Simak. Very nice book. The descriptions were precise and yet not overdone or exaggerated. I felt I was really there in Wisconsin. The story was poignant and thoughtful. I spent a few minutes meditating afterwards. Solid "B" or 4 stars.
Yes. Way Station is a book I remember fondly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #10647
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Books still not have arrived. Am languishing without these food sources. Should have downloaded. Knew I should have downloaded...gasping...for...books...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #10648
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Books still not have arrived. Am languishing without these food sources. Should have downloaded. Knew I should have downloaded...gasping...for...books...
Have you exhausted the front, back and side panels of all your cereal boxes? They ofttimes save my sanity... for short periods of time anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #10649
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you have no "TBR" pile on your reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #10650
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished reading the Saturday, September 10, 2011 issue of Science News (Kindle edition). Among the highlights:
* Antidepressants (more specifically, SSRIs) show signs of countering Alzheimer's.
* Bypass surgery's surprising side effect of reversing diabetes.
* New plans for solar sails.
* And how "the most devastating wildlife disease in recorded history" is laying waste to bats in North America and what it means to humans in terms of crop damage (billions of dollars) and increased risk of insect-borne diseases as a result of having one million (so far) deaths of these insectivorous mammals by a fungus that is attacking them when they are hibernating and most vulnerable.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote