Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Converting PDFs

Hey everyone. I'm a brand new Kindle 3 owner, and I'm wondering about the PDF conversion service Amazon offers (i.e., email a PDF to your Kindle address with "convert" in the subject). Is there any danger in emailing a PDF book to yourself for conversion (i.e., does Amazon care if the PDF document is copyrighted)?

If so, are there any decent PDF-to-Mobi tools? Can Calibre do this reasonably?

Thanks.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Why would you bother? The K3 reads PDF natively. It doesn't do it any worse than any other small screen PDF reader. (That's the problem with PDF. Unless it's been tagged, it needs a big screen.)

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLessard View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a brand new Kindle 3 owner, and I'm wondering about the PDF conversion service Amazon offers (i.e., email a PDF to your Kindle address with "convert" in the subject). Is there any danger in emailing a PDF book to yourself for conversion (i.e., does Amazon care if the PDF document is copyrighted)?

If so, are there any decent PDF-to-Mobi tools? Can Calibre do this reasonably?

Thanks.
http://calibre-ebook.com/download
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've found PDF-to-mobi conversion an exercise in frustration and rarely even attempt it any more. Reading order is not always defined properly, headers/footers get mixed in with the main text, tables are mangled, etc.

Instead, I take a few minutes to crop margins/headers/footers before putting the PDF on my Kindle. With the cropping, I can read a lot of material in fit-to-screen view (the default), or for larger text, in landscape mode. Text can be small, but it works for me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
What do people use to crop margins from PDFs? I've been trying to use the pdfcrop python script but it doesn't seem to do anything. Surely there is something out there that can do this in an automated way without needing me to tell it where the margin ends.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
raingod
raingod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Kindle DX
i've used both the amazon conversion and Calibre, and they are both great *sometimes*. while using Caliebre, i discovered that when converting, i should ALWAYS turn off headers and footers (choose the book you want, select "convert individually" (or not..), and on the left side choose Structure Detection - then, check "remove Header" and "remove Footer". if you know regular expressions, this page is much easier, but not needed.

regarding the output... sometimes it's better than others. sometimes the amazon tool works much better than Calibre, and sometimes... it's the other way round. the only way to find out to keep experimenting. i've now done about ~50 conversions, and i found the i have to check each book to see how the output came out. it's the price of not just clicking the "buy" button

also, if they do care whether it's copyrighted or not, i haven't heard. no one's said anything to me yet.

good luck!
raingod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post

What do people use to crop margins from PDFs? (...)
I use PDFill PDF Tools ("4. Rotate or Crop PDF Pages") to manually crop PDF pages .
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
Genmutant
Genmutant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I use a Perlscript called pdfcrop. It removes all the margins, but you can use the --margins switch to tell him how much additional margin you want.

Last edited by Genmutant; 10-03-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Genmutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

ahh I didnt realise you could remove footers in calibre!
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I use a utility a found a year or two back for the Sony ereaders called pdflrfwin. For some reason it was pulled, but now is available updated and named sopdf(or something very similary is available). There are long threads about these utilities in the Sony forum and should be in the pdf forum also as they are about pdfs. They cut the pdf in half and resize for a Sony size screen, keeping the other parameters. After converting to lrf, the book will convert nicely to mobi to be used on a Kindle. Sony and Jetbook seem to now have reflow and handle pdf's nicely, I don't know about Nook, but Kindle3 seems to handle them the worst, so this utility is really nice if you are using pdf documents.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
Korny
Korny began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post
What do people use to crop margins from PDFs?
I use the OSX Preview tool - it lets you crop pdfs interactively:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1392...eviewcrop.html

If you aren't on OSX there's also a public domain tool called Briss that I haven't tried, but looks good:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
Korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I found out yesterday that you can use Calibre to convert PDF's to RTF. That then allows you to go in and reformat the RTF. Then reconvert it back to PDF (if you want) or straight to MOBI, which is what I do.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korny View Post
I use the OSX Preview tool - it lets you crop pdfs interactively:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1392...eviewcrop.html
Sweet! Didn't know you could do this. I had an absolute nightmare converting PDFs as Calibre's remove header/footer function didn't seem to work for me.

Also converting to RTF, good idea! RTF is probably the best source format to convert to epub/mobi as it is pageless and allows for text formatting. Does it allow markdown like TXT files?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote