Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iBooks 1.1 out for iPhone and iPad

http://www.macstories.net/iphone/app...ks-for-iphone/

I had some issues getting this, but it may just be everyone hitting the App Store today

Downloaded thru 3G no problem on the iPad-looks like a new icon.
First thing it asked me is if I wanted to store my Bookmarks in the cloud, to share between devices!

It also put Winnie the Pooh back on the top row of my bookshelf

Preferences now has Full Justification on/off, and Sync Bookmarks on and off in addition to the Tap Left Margin setting.

Scrolling in Bookshelf view actually feels MORE jerky than before...weird.

Sepia paper background and Georgia font as well.

Last edited by kjk; 06-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iphone ipad
This is looking pretty good on the iPad. Anyone try the sync feature?
- Joe
joeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeru View Post
- Joe
Sadly, I can't update my iPhone til tonight to try the iPhone version-but looking forward to it-it is a great feature on the Kindle apps.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One issue - installing 1.1 messes up the order of books on your bookshelf so if, like me, you've spent ages getting all your series into the right order, you'll have to do it again after upgrading.

Looks like a very worthwhile upgrade, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
kjk

Apparently opening a PDF in the new Safari in iOS4 gives you the choice to open it in iBooks. Does not seem to work yet on the iPad, sadly.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Ugh, I have a couple hundred epub's I hope they release a fix instead of me having to go fix them myself.

On a positive side, the pdf reader is pretty good. GoodReader still has the bells & whistles, but iBook's pdf viewer worked better than I expected.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I like the Sepia background..... nice....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Very nice.

Liking the new font, Georgia.
You can now hold down a book icon to move it in icon view.
I've moved PDF email attachments into the PDF library section... They look good in iBooks
Rendering seems faster to me.
And the ribbon bookmark should have been there all along. Nice to finally have it.

I've encountered no problems so far.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
The biggest problem I see so far is just the bare-bones basic handling of PDFs. iBooks will display the PDF and give you page thumbnails and that's about it. As far as I can tell, there's no way, for example, to access the TOC in the PDF. Goodreader has iBooks beat by a huge margin and still remains my reader of choice for PDFs.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
The biggest problem I see so far is just the bare-bones basic handling of PDFs. iBooks will display the PDF and give you page thumbnails and that's about it. As far as I can tell, there's no way, for example, to access the TOC in the PDF. Goodreader has iBooks beat by a huge margin and still remains my reader of choice for PDFs.
Stanza also seems to handle PDF TOCs as well...I'm surprised iBooks doesn't..maybe 1.2
Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeru View Post
- Joe
Yup works great. Of course, both the iPad and iPhone's iBooks needs to be bought from the same account. And you need to have connection.

Reading a book on the ipad and continuing on the iPhone and vice versa is going to be great.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Beanski
Beanski doesn't litterBeanski doesn't litter

Device: K3, K4, iPad
Actually, iBooks syncs between my iPad and iPhone for all books!! - I've never bought a book through the Apple bookstore, but I can close a (de-drm'd epub) book I've added through iTunes on the iPad, and open it on the same page on the iPhone (a 3G)

This is really good news - and one up on Amazon!! In fact, it may have convinced me to upgrade to the next iphone - was looking at moving to Android

(Only tried epub though, don't know about anything else)
Beanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
So far, iBooks looks pretty nice but won't replace Stanza on my iPhone.
I definately need some kind of series-management; Stanza lets me at least view book infos and I can then see Calibre's Series-info in there as well as an excerpt. iBooks just lets me open books. Too limited, Go Stanza, Go Calibre

Hmmm ... Kovid, don't you feel an itch in your fingertips to program a Calibre version for iPhone/iPad?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Smollett
Smollett began at the beginning.

Device: none
Syncing between iPhone and iPad works for me too for epubs not bought through the iBookstore. I wasn't expecting that so am very pleased.
Smollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Goodreader has iBooks beat by a huge margin and still remains my reader of choice for PDFs.
+1 Goodreader > iBooks for pdfs by a large margin

I was also wondering if maybe iBooks would include annotation features for pdfs like they do for epubs, but iBooks doesn't support displaying pdf annotations, let alone allow you to make new annotations. At least iAnnotate PDF can stay in business.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote