Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can the default font be changed?

I found this post explaining how to set a new custom font for epub books when converting into that format in Calibre. I intend to do so, and I'm re-converting all my books to that format now. But some books I can't convert.

Is it possible to tell the PRS-505 to use a particular font and size as the default, always, for every format?
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here you go, this is very easy: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...fault+font+505

Good Luck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Djehuty
Connoisseur

Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuty View Post
I found this post explaining how to set a new custom font for epub books when converting into that format in Calibre. I intend to do so, and I'm re-converting all my books to that format now. But some books I can't convert.

Is it possible to tell the PRS-505 to use a particular font and size as the default, always, for every format?
If you use ePub, you can load fonts on your 505 of your choice and have the ePub use them. But the ePub has to be DRM free for that to happen. So if you purchase ePub with DRM, then you have to strip away the DRM in order to edit the CSS to tell the ePub what fonts to use. And doing it this way does not risk bricking your 505.

Read the following to find out what to do.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I didn't see that you are using Calibre, etc. That easy link I gave is a way to change the default 505 font.
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you use ePub, you can load fonts on your 505 of your choice and have the ePub use them. But the ePub has to be DRM free for that to happen. So if you purchase ePub with DRM, then you have to strip away the DRM in order to edit the CSS to tell the ePub what fonts to use. And doing it this way does not risk bricking your 505.

Read the following to find out what to do.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361

Can you disinfect ePub?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Can you disinfect ePub?
YES! YES! YES!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
YES! YES! YES!
WOW!
That was fast! It is such a young entity.
How could I miss it? Do we have any thread where we discuss it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Do we have any thread where we discuss it?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Djehuty
Connoisseur

A question about the instructions for changing the font on the 505 -- What about italics, bold type, and so on? For setting the font in an epub book, I need to specify four fonts (regular, bold, italic, bold italic). These instructions only specify one font.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
A couple of points
1) As I understand it, you don't have to have four fonts, as the Reader will attempt to emulate the effect of the others from the base font.
2) The thread about changing the default font was primarily about LRF books - I'm not sure if it those fonts are used for ePub too...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Djehuty
Connoisseur

I guess there's no need, then, to mess about with potentially warranty-voiding alterations. If it's going to form the italics for a custom font the way it does for the default one, it will look absolutely atrocious. I'll just stick to epub as much as possible.

Thanks for explaining that.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
A couple of points
1) As I understand it, you don't have to have four fonts, as the Reader will attempt to emulate the effect of the others from the base font.

Right, it just needs the font family

2) The thread about changing the default font was primarily about LRF books - I'm not sure if it those fonts are used for ePub too...

It works for ePubs also
Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Djehuty
Connoisseur

OK, now I'm confused. The font family usually works to supply proper bold and italic type when the entire font family -- all four fonts -- is present on a computer. In this case, only one font would be present. Do the bold and italicized versions somehow get encoded in that one font? Or does the reader merely guess?

If the latter, that would explain why the italic type for the default font looks exactly like the normal type, only pushed a bit to the right. But if it's the former, it might be worthwhile to change the default font after all.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
OK, now I'm confused. The font family usually works to supply proper bold and italic type when the entire font family -- all four fonts -- is present on a computer. In this case, only one font would be present. Do the bold and italicized versions somehow get encoded in that one font? Or does the reader merely guess?

If the latter, that would explain why the italic type for the default font looks exactly like the normal type, only pushed a bit to the right. But if it's the former, it might be worthwhile to change the default font after all.

I'm sorry, but I don't know those things. All I know is that I copied 1 Ariel file from the font folder to my desktop, followed the directions in the "very detailed instruction" thread, and it took care of itself. If the book I'm reading has italics, then the reader shows italics. Or if I type a document in rtf with bold and italics, that's what shows up on the reader.

From what I understood from the "very detailed instructions" is that any special formatting in the book, such as bold, overrides the default in order to show up the way it was meant to be.

Anything beyond that is way over my head and skill set.