Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #35341
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Save the extra money and get the regular iPad. It is worth it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #35342
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I hope they take away her texting license!
Glad you are okay!
(hope every one was as well)
I only know that there was the T-boning because I saw it in my rearview mirror and heard the crash. She wasn't going particularly fast, but it looked like a bit of damage. Because of the 'left side of the road' driving, she hit the driver side of the car in the other lane. I don't know what the final results were. But this was in a busy shopping area in the middle of a new housing development. The police would have been on the scene within minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Remind me of my wife - one of her first driving experiences was reversing off her parents' drive right into a neighbour's car on the opposite side of the road. Loud music was the culprit in her case. Glad to hear you made it safely through, and plus one for your observational skills.
Most older motorcycle riders constantly play 'what if?' while riding. Here's the road ahead.. what if a kid runs out over there? Where would I go? Or, it looks like there may be a hidden side road up ahead... what if a car doesn't stop at the intersection? What would I do? The power lines look as if they are bending around a blind curve ahead. Which part of the lane should I be in to get the fastest information about what's coming? There is a Motorcycle Safety group on Facebook that puts up a daily photo of a road situation, and we all make comments about just what we're seeing and how we'd play it. I learn a lot that way, and it keeps me just a little bit safer. I regret that I have but one life to give for my pleasures.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #35343
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Save the extra money and get the regular iPad. It is worth it.
I have the first iPad 1 for three years and I love it, but I would like something less heavy for my travels. And I held an iPadmini in my hand a few weeks back......totally smitten......and as I have an iPod touch as well, there is no necessity ( or so my family thinks)to buy a mini

Last edited by desertblues; 01-12-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Grammar and haste
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #35344
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Take care of that shoulder, Betty, but have some fun of course.

After weeks and weeks of rain, it is dry today, but........minus one degree.
I just packed all my detective- and other pocketbooks in boxes. I am saving up for an iPad mini and the secondhand bookstore promissed me 50 cents per book, and I will deliver about 800= about 400 euro,and I've got money from my birthday about 150 euro, so my goal is near in sight, I hope.
Excellent!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #35345
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Preparing a sacrifice to the Road Gods... They spared me once again.
This afternoon I was going down the road, and I saw a car backing out of driveway. It was going slowly so I didn't pay it much attention. But as I got closer, I noticed that the driver, a teenaged girl, was texting on her mobile phone! I was going too fast to stop before the driveway, so I goosed the throttle and shot past it just in case she wasn't planning on stopping. Good thing too, as she cleared my back fender by about 50 centemeters and continued backing right across my lane and into the far lane where she T-boned a car! Thank you, Road Gods, for keeping me safe!

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Glad you're OK, Stitchawl.

Thank the road gods if you wish, but also congratulate yourself a little on your observation and defensive driving skills.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #35346
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I have the first iPad 1 for three years and I love it, but I would like something less heavy for my travels. And I held an iPadmini in my hand a few weeks back......totally smitten......and as I have an iPod touch as well, there is no necessity ( or so my family thinks)to buy a mini
My concern with the mini is that there is going to be a massive improvement when the Mini2 comes out, much like the iPad 1 to 2. The specs on the Mini just don't strike me as impressive. I guess I would wait until a couple of weeks before your trip to get one.

I looked at a Touch and decided that there was no place I would be where I would use the Touch over my iPad and didn't get one.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #35347
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thanks. It was just too nice a day to die.
It would have ruined my whole weekend!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #35348
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Stitchawl
Not really, but whatcha gonna do.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #35349
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My concern with the mini is that there is going to be a massive improvement when the Mini2 comes out, much like the iPad 1 to 2. The specs on the Mini just don't strike me as impressive. I guess I would wait until a couple of weeks before your trip to get one.

I looked at a Touch and decided that there was no place I would be where I would use the Touch over my iPad and didn't get one.
Yes, the Mini2 will get a retina display, and there is no way it will be there for my next journey, so I'll wait and continue to take my iPad1 along, as I've done the last years (I'll never leave it at the hotel). It really is an excellent gadget, even if it is a bit heavy with Oberoncover and all. And it works always.

I made a mistake in buying the iPodtouch 4th gen. as the battery lasts somewhere between 3 and 4 hours; it seems to be empty every time I want to use it.

So......patience, patience for me, which isn't a quality I have much of.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #35350
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

Stitchawl
I'm thinking the rest of the family would have been upset as well.

Side note:

Reading that the girl was texting while driving made me instantly angry. Sometimes I surprise myself at the intensity of my feelings about certain things.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #35351
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
My hubby bought me the iPad mini for my birthday last month and I am totally in love with it. I got the blue Smart cover, and have ordered one of the Classic Designs from GelaSkins so it wouldn't get scratched, and to keep the weight down.

It goes everywhere with me.

Whatever you decide to do - enjoy!

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #35352
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm going to get the next generation iPad when it comes out, but I can't decide whether to go full size or mini.

And what am I doing right now? Well, before I was doing this, I was importing several recent purchases into my calibre library.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #35353
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm going to get the next generation iPad when it comes out, but I can't decide whether to go full size or mini.

And what am I doing right now? Well, before I was doing this, I was importing several recent purchases into my calibre library.
Dude, I vote you go for the Maxi-Pad!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #35354
kennyc

Broncos and Ravens are tied last I checked.....

oops Broncos 21 Ravens 14 and 9 degrees F
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #35355
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
21 - 21

No idea of the temperature, but it looks cold.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?