Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #241
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Yeah. I lust after an Oberon cover, but I cant see spending that much for something I'll only use for a few years.

I did get an inexpensive cover that my artistic daughter is going to steampunk up for me. I have no idea how the final product is going to look, but I know it'll be lovely.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #242
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I just got the official case for my Paperwhite, and it has this big metal flange half way up the right-hand side. When I fold the cover back, the flange hits my hand right where I hold the PW, and hurts. It's really bad design - to avoid it I have to hold the PW awkwardly.

do any of the unofficial covers have that flange?
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the big silver colored metal piece either. It does not bother me when I hold the PW, but I find it cold looking; I would not have minded it in copper or brass. There is only one no-name case posted in this thread that also has a metal closure. The one I got (see p.16) does not have any metal at all.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #243
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kledor View Post
Hi everyone!
I've been reading the topic for a while now and decided I would order a slim case for my PW. I was thinking of getting this LaPoueze Smart Cover from ebay, has anyone heard of them / seen their products? There are only 2 reviews on Amazon, a 1 star basically saying it's worthless, and a 4 star saying it's kinda good.
The cases already posted and photographed here are also good, though I'm obsessive about my devices and I think I'd occasionally keep the case covered PW in a sleeve (as I tend to throw a lot of stuff into my bag), so I'd want it to be really slim but sturdy.

Edited to add: Ordering from Amazon directly doesn't work for me since they don't ship a bunch of stuff to where I live, so it's either ebay or some similar site where I could get the cover.
I wanted one when they only had them for the K Touch, and even wrote to them in my desperation to find an original looking, slim case. While the one for the Touch was cheaper and at the same time genuine leather, the one they have for the PW is PU, and thus pretty expensive for the quality of materials used.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #244
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
^Thanks for the reply! I already ordered a case from googleproduct last night, but I'm still thinking about this one. It actually is a lot cheaper to me than other cases, especially with the free shipping (almost third of the original Amazon cover), because Kindle accessories are simply not available where I live.
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #245
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
So has anyone found a seller of only the backside of these slim covers?
If I had that part I think it wouldn't be too difficult to create my own flip case.
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #246
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm using a Marware Eco-Flip case (http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Eco-Fl...9041445&sr=1-7) with my PW - it's pricey but it has a hand strap on the cover so you can securely read one-handed.

My question - is there anyway to modify this case for automatic shut-off when you close the cover?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #247
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm using a Marware Eco-Flip case (http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Eco-Fl...9041445&sr=1-7) with my PW - it's pricey but it has a hand strap on the cover so you can securely read one-handed.

My question - is there anyway to modify this case for automatic shut-off when you close the cover?
Yes, you can do it using a magnet, which should be positioned to touch the Kindle's lower right corner. If you find one that works, stick it to your cover, or make a slit and slide it inside.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #248
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, you can do it using a magnet, which should be positioned to touch the Kindle's lower right corner. If you find one that works, stick it to your cover, or make a slit and slide it inside.
very much! I knew there was a trick, but not what it was!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #249
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Magnetic tape works just dandy - I cut a little square and stuck it onto the corner of my cover.
[You can get magnetic tape in hardware or hobby stores - used for hanging mirrors, pictures, etc.]
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #250
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Hey, here's one that's exactly the same, only it has a SNAP CLOSURE.

http://bit.ly/WG7YKh

Different seller, but the covers are almost identical. The only difference I can see is, it doesn't have the embossed word 'Kindle' on it. Instead it has an embossed logo in the lower corner.

I wouldn't trust those colors though. Looks like they were touched up (higher saturation) to appear more vivid. My guess is they're the same shades as the non-closure ones.

They're $14.95 (USD), but the shipping is free, so theyre actually cheaper than the other ones.

-------
EDIT: I just noticed it's a US seller.
I ordered this on 1/19 and received it today. Probably would have been here yesterday if Monday weren't a holiday.

Ordered the coffee one. Extremely pleased for $16.95 (no tax, including shipping 1st class). I visited Best Buy three times just looking at the official cover. Just couldn't part with $40 plus tax. Didn't like the look nor feel of it for that price.

Time to get rid of the special offers.

Last edited by SCION; 01-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #251
Parody
Parody began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Transformer Infinity
I wanted a cover that didn't weigh too much, had magnets for the automatic on feature, didn't cost $40, and didn't have a flap to get in the way. I ended up with a Fintie Navy Blue case, which has been great so far. I worry that the bottom of the "spine" will wear out eventually (I still hold it there sometimes) but if it does perhaps there'll be an even nicer reader out by then. If not and I wind up buying another cover, I'll still be ahead.

If I were to buy an overly fancy cover it'd probably be something like this Neverending Story cover. :)
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #252
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Now the same seller has a cover that has a magnetic closure like the original cover!
My dark blue one just arrived.

Here is what I posted about it on another forum
Not sure, but I think I like the one just like this, but without the metal closure tab, better.

Some points-
the inside metal tab (next to the front of the Kindle when cover is open) is actually RAISED. It sticks out from the edge a little, as can be seen in the seller's photos, but I never thought it would actually stick up. It doesn't really bother me, as it is a convenient place to rest my thumb. It is about 1/16" inch.

the long metal clip attached to the front of the cover is very shiny. When folded behind for reading, the shine is bothersome. I'm going to have to dig up some electrical tape and cover it.

when closed, the long edge of the top does extend about an 1/16" inch over the bottom long edge. The hinge also seems a little looser, or flimsier, than the other one they make.

I have noticed that perhaps the auto wake/sleep feature does not work quite as well, but it may be too early for me to tell that conclusively.

Last edited by booklover6; 01-26-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #253
xendula
eBookworm

That's a shame!
Instead of electric tape, you could try to paint it blue or white (marine look?). Could you post pictures?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #254
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know how well paint would work on metal. Maybe permanent marker.

Sure I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #255
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Thanks booklover6, I too hope that you will post photos as I'm very interested.

Quote:
I don't know how well paint would work on metal. Maybe permanent marker.

Sure I will post some pics tomorrow.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote