Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need Help with Adobe Digital editions

I own both a nook Simple Touch and a Sony PRS350. I should be able to use both with any of the ebooks I buy from either store if I understand thngs correctly. But I cannot, on the nook it says I'm not authorized to read Sony Books and the opposite on the Sony for Nook books. I've rad the topics on installing Adobe and have done so on my Imac, but the readers themselves are not being seen when I try to authorize them and I think I'm doing something wrong. Can someone provide me with a step by step process?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
You can read books from Sony on both readers, but B&N books only on the Nook. Newer versions of the ADE SDK have support for B&N's DRM schema, but Sony infamously uses outdated versions.

As far as things typically go, you install ADE, open it up, and connect the reader you want to authorize. When connected it will ask you to authorize.

The following is from the Adobe help guide:
Quote:
Connect the supported eReader device to your computer and launch Digital Editions. Digital Editions automatically detects the presence of your device and offers to authorize it with your Adobe ID. If you have not authorized Digital Editions with your computer, you will need to complete that first (Digital Editions guides you through that process: View the Activation and Authorization topic). Both Digital Editions and the device must be authorized to be able to transfer protected content to and from the device. Unprotected content can be transferred to and from the device without authorizing either the device or Digital Editions, but Adobe strongly advises authorizing Digital Editions as it gives you content portability for your protected books, whether on Digital Editions or the supported device.

After authorization, the device appears as a new bookshelf in your library. You can transfer items to and from the device's bookshelf just as you do with other bookshelves in your library. You can read books that are on your device or your own computer. You can even read books off a friend's device (though you cannot transfer books from that device to your computer or vice versa).

Important: Do not disconnect the device while transferring library items to or from your computer.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could of course liberate the books by removing DRM. Then you can read them on both. If it is only for personal use, it should not pose any ethical issues.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd rather do that, I usually buy secure epub from Books on Board, I'll have to look into unDRMing from Sony and Nook stores as well
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I'd rather do that, I usually buy secure epub from Books on Board, I'll have to look into unDRMing from Sony and Nook stores as well
Sony uses same DRM as BoB, so if you know how to strip DRM from BoB, anything bought from the Sony Store can be done the same way. If you use the Calibre Plugins, then there is one to take care of the B&N one. If you use the python scripts, the same people who made the ones for the Adobe ones you use also made one for B&N.

This is the most info we can give. We cannot link to the scripts or plugins, we cannot tell you how to use the plugins or scripts. The legality of these scripts are questionable, or downright not allowed, in many countries and due to that the rules of the forum disallow much talk on the matter. All we can do is point you in a direction. If you get lost along the way, simply look for a nice man on google named Apprentice Alf to point the way.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
ADE (Adobe Digital Editions), ADE SDK (Software Development Kit), the device
developers implementation of Adobe Reader Mobile (using the SDK), are all interrelated
factors. Add to that the fact that the B&N (Barns and Noble) DRM support was not
added to the Adobe Reader Mobile until recently, make for more confusion in these
discussions.

First, while the Adobe Reader Mobile versions that support the B&N DRM are
implemented in conjunction with ADE, the ability to read B&N DRM ebook files is a
function of the Reader not ADE. You do not need your device "Authorized" by ADE
or have your B&N .epubs interact with ADE in any way, to be able to read the ebooks.

Disinfecting your ebook purchases is only prudent and is the wisest move even if your
devices can deal with the DRM infection. It can be the only sure way to have the book
that you purchased readable on all the platforms you own, now or in the future.

As to ADE "Authorizing" your devices, the most common situation is that the "Authorization"
has happened, but it is not apparent to the user. Check in the "Library" mode of the ADE
program on your PC and see if there is a "Bookshelf"/listing for your device.

On your device, you can check if there is a hidden (in linux) folder titled ".adobe-digital-
editions" that contains the file "device.xml", in the root of the device's internal storage.
This folder and file are what ADE uses to establish that there is a device that it can
"Authorize" and the file contains data needed in the process.

Having a folder titled "Digital Editions" on your device would also indicate that the ADE
program, on your PC, has already authorized your device, as creating that folder is a part
of the process.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Short of stripping DRM, you can read Sony books on Nook but not the opposite. You need to use ADE to move the Sony DRM content onto Nook; ADE 'blesses' the books so they can be read on Nook. Sony has not updated their devices to the Adobe SDK version required to work with passhash (B&N) locked books. If they did, you could just copy the B&N books to the Sony and read them after supplying unlock credentials (no ADE required).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote