Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Dialog issue when editing metadata

I'm just in the process of editing metadata on multiple large, scanned PDF files. I'm editing each book individually by calling up it's metadata edit dialog. Every five to seven files, the dialog won't close when I click OK, although the metadata gets updated. When I try to move the dialog, the dialog doesn't get redrawn, the close-button (the X from the window manager) doesn't have any effect at all. I'm able to use the tray icon's menu to close calibre and restart, which allows me to edit the next few files, but it's an annoyance nonetheless.
I don't know if this matters or not, but I'm Alt-Tabbing out of Calibre to check the metadata I want quite frequently.
I've tried getting the debug info via calibre-debug -g, but that has been rather concise and unhelpful, at least for me. See below.
Code:
Starting up...
Started up in 2.06299996376
get_metadata cache: 12 calls, 66.67% misses
My OS is XP SP3, I'm running Calibre 0.7.33 from the binaries.
I didn't raise a ticket yet because I'm rather short on any helpful debug info on this one.
Comments, please?

Edit for Update: I just found out that while the offending dialog window remains in the foreground, the program functions as usual, including opening new dialogs.

Last edited by Manichean; 12-12-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you using the next and previous buttons or re-opening the dialog for each book manually?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you using the next and previous buttons or re-opening the dialog for each book manually?
I started using the next button. When the error first occured, I went to using the OK button and calling the dialog each time for every book. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so the error happens using both the next button and the OK button? Also, were you doing some activity in common, like downloading a cover, or editing title/author when the hang happens?

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-12-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard

I was editing the same metadata on each book (title, author, series index) when it happened, I didn't try downloading covers or anything. After the dialog hung, the rest of Calibre behaved as if nothing happened. I'll try to replicate again sometime later to give you some more info.
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that this can happen if the CoverFetcher is still alive when OK is pushed.

Threads have a terminate() method (can't find one in the __dict__ for a thread), so the once started the thread will happily continue to do its thing until it comes to a natural finish. Tests show that python lets the thread continue running. What this means is that we could conceivably have multiple CoverFetcher threads running at the same time. I don't know if this will create concurrency problems elsewhere.

It seems that the code is written to permit CoverFetcher to be a process. At least, the terminate code is written that way. Actually using a process would eliminate the multiple running threads problem, but of course would create more problems with passing information back and forth.

My suggestion is that unless there is a good reason for leaving them active, the buttons should be disabled while cover searching is happening. That way the thread can never be left hanging, which eliminates the possible concurrency issues.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

Charles, I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, but I didn't use any downloading features or anything. I was editing the metadata purely manually, even without changing the covers.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Charles, I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, but I didn't use any downloading features or anything. I was editing the metadata purely manually, even without changing the covers.
Oh well. I tried. Sometimes we get wet.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@chaley: Python threads dont have a terminate method (the references to terminate in the source code were left behind from when I used Qt threads, but using Qt threads caused crashes on OS X)

And the buttons are left enabled so that you can abort a long cover download.