Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
The Three Musketeers - Richard Pevear translation

is available now in a Kindle edition. I mention it because I read the hardcopy of this translation 10 years ago and it was not unlike (in flavor) the edition I read as a teen (which was my grandmother's 1800's sometime edition in french). It's sort of a primo example of how editing can change the flavor of a novel and.. well better words here if you like -

Anyway... Just wanted to let you know there was now a Kindle version available of a more true "as written" translation and probably other ereaders as well.

Last edited by wayspooled; 10-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Thanks for the link, wayspooled. Unfortunately, the price on that edition is $12.99!

The "other" edition at Amazon is $.99, and HarryT's version is free (not sure of the translator, though).
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Thanks for the link, wayspooled. Unfortunately, the price on that edition is $12.99!

The "other" edition at Amazon is $.99, and HarryT's version is free (not sure of the translator, though).
Sure thing, just a public service announcement I don't even have a Kindle. My ebook format IS HarryT's version. hehe... But like I said, I do have the Peavey translation in hardcopy. It's just I'm a big fan of those Dumas books and thought I'd share for any other fans.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
On a side note, the 1996 Robin Buss translation of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo is also available from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Count-Cristo-P...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

From an Amazon review:
Quote:
The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book, and I've read several translations, both abridged and unabridged.

TRANSLATION
The Buss translation is the most modern, and reads most fluidly. A quick example comparing this translation with the one found on Project Gutenberg:

PG - His wife visited for him, and this was the received thing in the world, where the weighty and multifarious occupations of the magistrate were accepted as an excuse for what was really only calculated pride...

BUSS - His wife visited on his behalf; this was accepted in society, where it was attributed to the amount and gravity of the lawyer's business -- when it was, in reality, deliberate arrogance...

Buss's work reads like the book was written in English. The two or so times that the work is nearly untranslatable, Buss makes a footnote about it (eg, an insinuated insult using the formal "vous" instead of the familiar "tu"). Other translations just skip the subtlety. The most common translation out there (uncredited in my version) reads like a swamp. Trust me, get Buss.

Last edited by BenG; 08-06-2010 at 08:23 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote