Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Looking for "Jill the Ripper" Stories

Can anyone recommend novels about serial killers? I have read the first two of Chelsea Cain's novels. Also, in the 1970s, there was a paperback thriller about a female serial killer called "Jill" or something like that. I was wondering if there were more books like that? (Or if anyone knows the book I'm thinking of because it's hard to find a novel on Amazon if all you remember is what you think the title was, what it sort of looked like, and the decade you thinkit came out. )

True crime recommendations will work, too. I have Peter Vronsky's book on female serial killers, and it's very interesting. There are more than you think, and in some ways, they are often scarier than their male counterparts.

P.S. I was tempted with Edward Lee's Portrait of the Psychopath as a Young Woman. Previously only available in a limited press edition, it is now on SmashWords. Has anyone read this?
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/16776
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
While I have not yet read it, I have heard good things about Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me. It is the story of Ted Bundy.

http://www.inkmesh.com/ebooks/strang...nger+Beside+Me
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
While I have not yet read it, I have heard good things about Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me. It is the story of Ted Bundy.

http://www.inkmesh.com/ebooks/strang...nger+Beside+Me
Thanks. I wish they would have an e-book edition of that one. Sigh. The Bundy book is one of her best books, as is the Diane Downs book. But those aren't available as e-books.

But I screwed up on my original post -- not enough coffee yesterday. I was looking for books about female serial killers. (If you can recommend anything really good about male serial killers, I'll look for that anyway. I need something cheerful for my upcoming vacation. )
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The link I provided is an ebook.
Quote:
Devices: Sony Reader, Nook, PC, Mac, Linux
Format: Adobe Digital Editions ePub (Secure)
Yeah, nothing more cheerful than serial killers. I don't know of too many female serial killers.

Last edited by edbro; 08-05-2010 at 10:03 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Not about a woman, but what about The Night Stalker by Philip Carlo? I don't know if it's available as an ebook, though.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
The link I provided is an ebook.
Ack! I should have noticed that it was from Inkmesh.

I'm glad to know it's finally available. I sure hope it ends up in more stores. And cheaper. (Yeah, I'm picky...)

Quote:
Yeah, nothing more cheerful than serial killers. I don't know of too many female serial killers.
You can preview Vronsky's Female Serial Killers book on Google Books. There are more than most of us realize (depending on how you define serial killer as some "experts" use different definitions).
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
There was a good book about Ian Brady and Myra Hindley called Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers, by Emlyn Williams.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote